Sponsored

2017 gt350 engine failure

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350 oxford white/black stripes
I have a 2017 Gt350 that I have owned for 4 weeks(1702 miles), I made sure to break my car in properly (didn't exceed 4k rpm for first 750 miles and had dealer replace factory oil after 1k miles) and never abused it ( never launched car or gone over 7K rpm). After finishing work yesterday I let my car warm up for approximately 1 min in 40F weather and proceeded to drive through my work parking lot (three blocks) and entered highway. I accelerated car to enter highway (hitting 6k-6500k rpm in 1st and 2nd) and was immediately confronted with low oil pressure warning and engine knocking. After limping off of highway into a safe location I looked under car, no oil. Had car towed to dealer and they have informed me that something internal has broken and that they are working with ford to get a new engine sent out for replacement. My car was built 9/23 and was not subject to recall. It would be nice to know exactly what failed internally but I was told that ford will most likely not have technicians open engine but will analyze it once it arrives at ford. Just wanted to share my experience.
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Sounds like the oil pump gear to me.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don't honk on my car until it gets to 190*F OIL TEMP. In sunny FL, that takes easily 10 minutes of driving. What was your oil temp?

Sorry to hear about your motor.

Agcsr25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 track pack
Sorry to hear about your problem. I bet it is the OPG. Hope Ford takes care of you quickly. Keep us updated.

JRoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, MKIV, RR
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. :frusty: I hope Ford takes care of your issue promptly and gives you the insight on what happened.

Sponsored

Gen_Nick3.8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Camaro SS 1LE
I like how in the beginning you imply that you don't "rag" on your car like that's how engines fail.

Ive redlined all my cars from day one and never had a single motor problem. Hope your issue gets resolved

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your right about oil temp, I didn't check and I should have.

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In response to"I like how in the beginning you imply that you don't "rag" on your car like that's how engines fail.

Ive redlined all my cars from day one and never had a single motor problem. Hope your issue gets resolved." I just wanted to give an accurate description of my car history, I do believe car was meant to be red lined.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Yep. Not sure if they are the same, but I know all too well about the Coyote's weak OPG. Changed a few myself. Cold oil will definitely shatter them.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't honk on my car until it gets to 190*F OIL TEMP. In sunny FL, that takes easily 10 minutes of driving. What was your oil temp?

Sorry to hear about your motor.
Must be nice to live in a hot climate from that standpoint. When it's cool outside the oil doesn't even get up to 190 F.

Your right about oil temp, I didn't check and I should have.
Don't worry, the failure has nothing to do with what you did. I've driven my car thousands of miles in cold temperatures with absolutely no issues. Yes I don't wind it out when it's cold outside - mostly because the tires won't hook up anyway. But the engine is built to handle it.

There was an assembly issue or a part was out of spec. I'm sure it wasn't anything you did.

Sponsored

unixadm

H1711
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That's unfortunate. Are you local? My car takes a long time to reach 170-180 degrees on the oil temp. I have not seen much higher than that, regardless how far I drive but I'm only at 405 miles as of today.

Gen_Nick3.8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Camaro SS 1LE
Ford does extensive testing for cold weather environments. This would def not cause an Engine failure

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they put out a TSB with a tune that brings the limiter down from 8000rpm to something more sane like 5000rpm when the oil isn't up to temperature. I think this is, what, at least the second if not third report on this forum of a likely OPG failure from not being warmed up.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Sucks, but history has shown that Ford will get you back on the road. The only question will be how long it might take to get an available engine.

Hopefully you have a good rapport with the dealer and they can hook you up with a car to drive. I had to take my car in for service recently at Elk Grove Ford and they hooked me up with a 17 Explorer.
Sponsored