Sponsored

Is the 5.0 designed for boost?

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
The MT82 cant handle stock power levels. That being said I have a stock 5.0 gen 3 motor with gen 5 whipple and 10r80 with 770 rwhp ripping 8k rpm every day no prob.
I don’t know. I have a 2018 with 720 wheel and MT82 no issues. Along with a bunch of other people who have no issues with the same car and boost and many with more power to the wheels than mine. Might wanna own one before you say matter of factly what something can or can’t handle.
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Care to elaborate the differences
Hint: The single spec that all versions of ecoboost and all versions of boosted modular v8 (4.6, 5.2, 5.4, and 5.8) have that coyote doesn’t. It’s not ring gap or piston material.

Keep in mind that factory validation testing involves hours or days of constant wot and the engines have to live. Even the Roush cars can’t do that without melting down the cats.

brianbr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic GT PP
I don’t know. I have a 2018 with 720 wheel and MT82 no issues. Along with a bunch of other people who have no issues with the same car and boost and many with more power to the wheels than mine. Might wanna own one before you say matter of factly what something can or can’t handle.
I don't have any issues with my 19 mt82 car either. It's never been dynoed but I imagine its around 700 wheel.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
653 wheel, drives like from factory when not flooring it. Mpg hasn't changed for me either, still driving same style. Its a DD.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I'll plus one this. I've beat the hell out of my mt82 and no issues at 73k miles. The last 25k of that is boosted. First 48k were tuned on e85. Car gets abused everyday since it wa a new.

Yes Op, with a good tuner the car should drive like stock when your out of boost.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
What setup? Was set and forget?
Yes, Roush Phase 1. Phase 2 to 750 at the crank would be some new tune since Phase 1 already had the required cooler installed. Need to contact Roush how much, they said to contact them if a "Phase 2" cooler is installed already. Steeda did the install, I live about 15 mins away. Otherwise set and forget. Steeda explained a couple of things though regarding maintenance intervals etc. But its all in writing. At the same time they installed all kinds of track/handling improvement hardware, sway bars, including lowering springs. Car is glued to the street, and I can feel every little pothole. 😏 loving it.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Ford has to provide a warranty. That means abuse. That means bad fuel. The whole spectrum.

When Ford or any other manufacturer "boost" a car, or even field an n/a car, they have to over design and under utilize. Because they have to repair at their costs, any legit (and even some bs) failures.

The problem with car enthusiasts is they're almost always on a budget. That means pushing (aka utilizing) at a higher capacity than someone who has to warranty it would.

What does all that mean?

It means with good fuel (aka E85 or race fuel) you can boost anything reliably up to pretty ridiculous power outputs.

With questionable fuel or suspect, you have to provide a much bigger safety factor and that's where lowered compression comes in.

It also helps to provide robust/stronger parts and components.

To answer your question, no, the coyote is not ready to be boosted (if you were footing the bill for a warranty) more than say 8-10 lbs.

On good fuel and no roll the dice on repairs, the coyote can be boosted further.

The other reason Ford doesn't "boost" a larger displacement motor more often than they do is because they have to contend with emissions and EPA average fleet economy (which goes up every few years). For every car that brings smoke, they have to have 3 or 4 that get way better mileage to and from the grocery store.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The single spec that all versions of ecoboost and all versions of boosted modular v8 (4.6, 5.2, 5.4, and 5.8) have that coyote doesn’t.
In my best Horseshack voice with arm waving wildly. Hey mister Kotter Mr Kotter is it lower compression....????

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Care to elaborate the differences?

Wonder if the Mach 1 is "more" desgined for boost... It has all the suspension pieces + extra cooling + Tremec.
Those are upgrades for road racing.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
It is odd that people have made prodigious power on the stock gen3 long block and the aluminator sc uses a stock gen3 block, but ford also felt like the gt500 needed revised block geometry at relatively modest power levels.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,