Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No. The transmission learns driving habits but the engine parameters shouldn't. If anything, the tune would perform best right after loading due to the KAM being reset during the upload
I would say right after my upload of the tune I didnt notice much of a difference. But after some driving/mileage I felt more of a difference. Also, it was me learning the response and RPM band changes. As far as transmission, I have the manual. So dont know what it could have changed for me, since I am doing the shifting.
Sponsored

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I did it. I added 3 gallons e85 mixing with a full tank of 93 e10. I beleive that is e24 from my calculations and like 95 octane. Went on long drive and will do another tank again next time.. I'll see if I notice any difference overall. First time trying this though.

SDAMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That is actually better than advertised for hp considering they were saying 19hp at the crank. So at the very least it over performed in that aspect.
Yeah seems not too bad to me. Tq gains in the 2.5k to 3k area are pretty nice too looks like 30ish?

rancid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Hey All,

Does anyone know how the warranty for the Tune would work with the factory extended warranty? I'd like to get this setup for my 2019 and maintain the extended warranty I have, but not sure if it is possible or not.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
3yr/36k mile warranty from the date the car was sold. for example if you had the car for 1 year before you put on the kit, you'd have 2 years left on the warranty of the kit.

THEN after that warranty is exhausted, you'll fall back to MFGR warranty (if there is any left). then after that, you'll fall back to your extended warranty.

knowing how dealers companies work, im sure, if able, they will try to blame whatever they can on the tune, that is no longer in warranty, as a way to get out of fixing something that may still be under warranty.

maybe you have a good relationship with your dealer, maybe they'll be fair, who knows

Sponsored

BlackMambaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gord
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Exactly. If this tune from Ford is so safe, then why does it void 2 years of the original power train warranty.

SDAMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Exactly. If this tune from Ford is so safe, then why does it void 2 years of the original power train warranty.
I think the tune is totally safe, as with most tunes by companies that know what they are doing. It sucks that it does cut the warranty down 2 years and really makes this a trade off.

I personally been closely following this thread, bouncing back and forth of what to do...get this tune and other parts, get a real 93 tune and other parts, get the roush P2 SC, or just leave it alone for now.... But my itch to mod is strong.

As someone else mentioned before, there seems to be a mixed consensus weather this tune/pack is worth it or not. Some say its disappointing, some say they like it alot. I wonder where the difference in opinion is coming from? Expectations? Fuel being used? Auto vs. Manual? The KAM thing that needs time to relearn or be manually reset?

Looking at the dynos, this is pack good for about 20WHP and 8 Peak TQ but up to about +30TQ gains under the curve. You would assume that is a difference you would feel and even see if you were to race side by side vs. a identical stock gt. But that is not what another user posted happened when he raced his buddys stock gt. But then someone goes to the 1/4 mile track and drops .2 tenths and picks up a couple mph with this pack vs. stock. Maybe you just wouldn't see a couple tenths on the street? Im not sure. I was really planning on originally getting this pack, but this thread has kinda left me confused about it all.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I think the tune is totally safe, as with most tunes by companies that know what they are doing. It sucks that it does cut the warranty down 2 years and really makes this a trade off.

I personally been closely following this thread, bouncing back and forth of what to do...get this tune and other parts, get a real 93 tune and other parts, get the roush P2 SC, or just leave it alone for now.... But my itch to mod is strong.

As someone else mentioned before, there seems to be a mixed consensus weather this tune/pack is worth it or not. Some say its disappointing, some say they like it alot. I wonder where the difference in opinion is coming from? Expectations? Fuel being used? Auto vs. Manual? The KAM thing that needs time to relearn or be manually reset?

Looking at the dynos, this is pack good for about 20WHP and 8 Peak TQ but up to about +30TQ gains under the curve. You would assume that is a difference you would feel and even see if you were to race side by side vs. a identical stock gt. But that is not what another user posted happened when he raced his buddys stock gt. But then someone goes to the 1/4 mile track and drops .2 tenths and picks up a couple mph with this pack vs. stock. Maybe you just wouldn't see a couple tenths on the street? Im not sure. I was really planning on originally getting this pack, but this thread has kinda left me confused about it all.
The kit is focused on the demographic that places warranty over performance. It is definitely not the best bang for your buck or night and day difference like some options, but if you look at it for what it is, a warranty friendly mild upgrade, it is a viable option.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
The kit is focused on the demographic that places warranty over performance. It is definitely not the best bang for your buck or night and day difference like some options, but if you look at it for what it is, a warranty friendly mild upgrade, it is a viable option.
I’d add that emissions compliance and ECU integrity should be other factors. Californians and others that are required to follow California’s emissions rules (practically all of the Northeast U.S.) should be accounted into the equation. As far as I have seen, no third-party tuner, except Roush and Ford Performance, can generate a tune for total emissions compliance and ensure that their customers can legitimately pass emissions testing. Roush and Ford Performance have CARB E.O. numbers for their tunes. While tunes can be flashed/reflashed to avoid the ire of Big Brother (or your conscience), the odds of bricking an ECU rise with each flash sequence from either a bad tune programming sequence or corrupted software code. Honestly, I’d prefer a one-and-done tune. I have my Volvo XC90 flashed with a Polestar tune. Volvo backs the Polestar tune with a full factory warranty, including extended warranty coverage if purchased with the vehicle. It would be nice if Ford did this as well. I think that they’d sell more of their tunes/performance packs.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I’d add that emissions compliance and ECU integrity should be other factors. Californians and others that are required to follow California’s emissions rules (practically all of the Northeast U.S.) should be accounted into the equation. As far as I have seen, no third-party tuner, except Roush and Ford Performance, can generate a tune for total emissions compliance and ensure that their customers can legitimately pass emissions testing. Roush and Ford Performance have CARB E.O. numbers for their tunes. While tunes can be flashed/reflashed to avoid the ire of Big Brother (or your conscience), the odds of bricking an ECU rise with each flash sequence from either a bad tune programming sequence or corrupted software code. Honestly, I’d prefer a one-and-done tune. I have my Volvo XC90 flashed with a Polestar tune. Volvo backs the Polestar tune with a full factory warranty, including extended warranty coverage if purchased with the vehicle. It would be nice if Ford did this as well. I think that they’d sell more of their tunes/performance packs.

Emissions is one thing, having the cars warranty voided is another. In cali it used to be you can run a stage one tune (keeps cats in place and still monitors all readiness codes). Now in Cali they look at the CVN. The CVN is computed by the emission-related control units and is typically a more complex variation of a check-sum calculation to verify the integrity of the data in the control unit. If its off by one byte you fail.

Im not really worried about the FRPP warranty, as most serious mechanical issues will rear their head before 36k miles. Hopefully anyway...after the warranty as long as you can return the car to stock to smog it no worries get an E85 tune and go from there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
You want to know why? Because it doesn't. Didn't you read the post directly above yours? Ford won't cover the parts from the power pack or anything damaged as a direct result of said pack. That doesn't mean it's "voided."

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The original warranty does not get voided! If a failure arises prior to the 36 mo or 36 k mark that is caused by the tune then Ford performance picks up the tab. If it is not caused by the tune then the original Ford warranty covers you! There was a post by Ford performance in one of the two tune pac threads explained it fully. It might have been in the levittown group buy thread.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
No e85 near me, and I'm not really interested in voiding my warranty by running more than e15 anyway.
If something happens to your car, and they find leaded race gas in your tank, you run a greater risk of warranty rejection than if they found a little extra ethanol.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Although many do it with a tune, alcohol affects things other than A/F ratio. It's very corrosive to seals that aren't designed to handle it, and there are issues with water created by alcohol. For me personally, it's not worth the risk. I plan to have my car for a long time, and I'm not doing something that has potential long term to do damage. Ford says don't do it, that's good enough for me
The seals in this engine are perfectly fine for E85. You are thinking of older engines, back when the seal material was not correct for the solvency of alcohols. I have worked in the fuels industry and in fuel system development. The only things people need to worry about with E85, is long term storage and deposit formation. Ethanol does have a high affinity for water, but it also binds well with it, so most moisture is just burned in the engine without any issue. You can have greater moisture absorption over months of storage, which could theoretically lead to issues from moisture, but it isn't the norm. However, ethanol does have a tendency to break down and go rancid over time, so it isn't suggested that you leave it in the tank if you have to store the vehicle. The deposit issue is generally caused by the corrosion inhibitors in ethanol fuels. They lead to increased injector deposits and IVD, but this can be reduced or eliminated by using a polyetheramine detergent or occasionally running a tank of top tier 93. Fuel lines and seals are at minimal risk in a modern car. There are other issues, like HP pump roller polishing, that occur when running E99, but that isn't a common fuel for the USA.

jabela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Mustang
So i have a couple places where i live to but gas and i was wondering what would be better. I can get Shell 91 which is 0% ethanol and Petro Canada which has 94 with up to 10% ethanol. Would the Shell gas be the better choice since it has 0% ethanol?
Sponsored