Sponsored

PP2 Ford Performance Tune

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Do you still need to remove the engine cover for install if there's no longer any need to cut it?
Removing the cover definitely makes it easier to swap out the throttle body. The PCV hose has to be replaced too, and I don't think you could swap that out without removing the cover.
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Do you still need to remove the engine cover for install if there's no longer any need to cut it?
Nevermind..

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Removing the cover definitely makes it easier to swap out the throttle body. The PCV hose has to be replaced too, and I don't think you could swap that out without removing the cover.
And improves the under the hood look

Last edited:

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
The roads were dry and the sun is shining so I threw salt to the wind and took it for a spin around the block today, learned a couple of things.

1.) updating the gears/tire circumference without a tune may or may not work. I didn't test this alone but I updated these parameters last week and the ECU seemed to take them just fine.

2.) I had installed the CAI/throttlebody and uploaded the performance tune. I wasn't sure if this would wipe out the previous change so I checked the gear ratio/tire setting (Procal said it was "checking")and it still read 4.09 and 756 revs per mile on the tuning screen just like it said 3.55 etc the first time I plugged it in. That all checked out, looked like it was good to go.

3.) after one mile, the big old wrench popped up, warning about hillstart assist not working, warning about backup camera not working (no idea why that's linked), no rev match function just like was did when Lund botched my tune. So...the gear ratio must have been switched back to stock based on the VIN and the Procal was full of crap about "checking" it was actually just pulling up the last thing I typed in, not the parameter in the the ECU itself.

4.) Re-uploaded the changes to the gear/tire, took it out for another spin...no effect. Still wrong.

5.) Checked DTCs (exactly the same ones from last summer as ecpected), MANUALLY cleared them, re-uploaded the gear/tire parameters and.... It worked.

The moral of the story is that if you change your final drive ring and pinion to something other than stock, it will need to be done AFTER loading any tune from the Procal. The Ford Performance tune apparently defaults to the stock ratio and the Procal isn't smart enough to tell you that.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Glad to know.

I'll bet your stress level went through the roof for awhile.

What is your first impression of the Ford tune VS the Lund.

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to know.

I'll bet your stress level went through the roof for awhile.

What is your first impression of the Ford tune VS the Lund.
LOL... you got that right. I was pissed for a minute.

As for comparing Ford performance tune to the Lund performance tune...can't offer much there other than speculation so far. The roads are still scattered with salty puddles from melting snow and other crap so I didn't go far. I only have about three loops of the neighborhood (top speed around 40mph)...

That said, the Lund performance tune, by their admission, does little or nothing to address performance for a manually shifted '18+ GT unless you're running on the corn juice (which I'm not) so I suspect that any differences will favor the new Ford tune by a long shot.

The one comparison I can offer is that the rev match seems to be cleaner with the Ford tune. Actually, it feels like it did before I messed with anything on the car...which is to say darned near perfect.

While the Lund tune did restore the rev match feature, I think they may have lazily used a 4.10 (rather than 4.09) ratio parameter or maybe they didn't correct for tire circumference because it was just slightly off and jerked just a little when rev match down shifting.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I’ve got ~300 miles on the car now since installing the kit. I’m pretty convinced that the car is notably quicker now though I haven’t done any proper acceleration measurements.

I’ve never run anything other than Shell 93 in this car yet I have noticed at least one ping under heavy load and possibly a few others though it’s so hard to hear a ping with the booming (stock) exhaust note.

Has anyone successfully datalogged with the Procal4? I’ve collected couple of logs but the software offers no means of actually looking at the logs...do we have to rely on Ford Performance to read these or can we do it ourselves?

I tried to collect a log with the Ngauge which is still installed and since I offloaded the Lund tune, they locked me out of this feature.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Fuck Lund Racing.
BUT BUt But...,, Lund is God....!!

Sorry you learned the expensive way.

If I remember correctly that NGuage is locked to your car so you can't sell it either.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BUT BUt But...,, Lund is God....!!

Sorry you learned the expensive way.

If I remember correctly that NGuage is locked to your car so you can't sell it either.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
There must be a way to wipe their firmware off of this thing though, right?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
There must be a way to wipe their firmware off of this thing though, right?
I don't think so. Nguage closed their doors.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The good news is you have an FRPP tune so if you buy a MPVI2 you can reduce the ign timing to stop the detonation.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Has anyone successfully datalogged with the Procal4? I’ve collected couple of logs but the software offers no means of actually looking at the logs...do we have to rely on Ford Performance to read these or can we do it ourselves?
There's 2 ways to view the data, one in the graph section of the software or exported in excel.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's 2 ways to view the data, one in the graph section of the software or exported in excel.
I tried the graph function in the Procal software and it just doesn't do anything. Has anyone gotten that to work?

1616527481363.png

As for opening them in Excel...The logs are ".bin" file...will Excel even open these?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I tried the graph function in the Procal software and it just doesn't do anything. Has anyone gotten that to work?

1616527481363.png

As for opening them in Excel...The logs are ".bin" file...will Excel even open these?
Mine exports them as .csv, is that what you did eg. export to file?

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine exports them as .csv, is that what you did eg. export to file?
I saved the log files with the “save“ button in that screen cap...
is there another way to export them?

Thanks
Sponsored