X or H pipe???

MustangMatt95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I have the factory active exhaust with a Steeda H-pipe. I didn't care about the power differential, I cared more about the sound. Coyotes are already raspy, so I thought the H pipe would be the better option and I'm very happy with my choice. This one simple and cheap mod really wakes up the exhaust and gives a better tone and more volume. I get some nice aggressive exhaust whip/crack sounds while doing spirited driving and rev matching anything over 4K RPM . Stock tune. Love it. The car is dead quiet on the highway in "Quiet" mode.

I get compliments on the sound all the time.
Sponsored

OP
OP

J.R. Mosher

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 300A Grabber Blue
Ended up going with the H pipe. The reason I bought the X pipe cat back kit was because Roush doesn’t offer the long tubes individually and they don’t offer an H pipe catback kit. But the H pipe sounds great with that kit. Definitely has that old school rumble and grumble. And that sound is amplified to the max with the axles and long tubes .Too bad most of the catback kits on the market are mostly based on x pipes. But I would highly recommend doing a full cat back with the H pipe. Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback from my original post 👍

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
6hp I wouldn’t exactly call that much more lol
Finally
I was waiting for this.
Screw the Dyno pulls, I’d like to see controlled 1/8 & 1/4 mile time slips.

Last edited:

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I had a Steeda H pipe in my former ride, and no active exhaust. So... now I have active exhaust and no pipe yet.. BUT I just bought a house in a 55+ years community. How loud is the AE in quiet mode with the H pipe? 🙄
Quiet Mode will still be quiet with an H-pipe. Just don't do what I did and get headers on top of it... Quiet Mode with headers and an H-pipe will be more like Normal Mode. :lipssealed:

Sponsored

OP
OP

J.R. Mosher

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 300A Grabber Blue
Warm start

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Mustang GT Premium (carbonized gray)
For those that went with Steeda’s H pipe….are most of you running the stock exhaust from the H-pipe back to the mufflers/exhaust tips?

I went with an Hpipe on my 2001 GT along with Flowmaster-style mufflers. I absolutely loved it and would love that same sound if I end up buying another mustang in the next 6mos. I also might be an oddball but I like what Ford did with the stock exhaust. Only thing I don’t love is the smallish tips-wish they were slightly larger.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
To some the eargasm is worth the cost of a few hp …

For those that went with Steeda’s H pipe….are most of you running the stock exhaust from the H-pipe back to the mufflers/exhaust tips?
In my case, yes :like:

WD :like:

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Mustang GT Premium (carbonized gray)
To some the eargasm is worth the cost of a few hp …

In my case, yes :like:

WD :like:
man I agree. I could care less about adding relatively small amount of horsepower. The sound you hear every time you drive it but I get it’s personal preference.

FoMoCo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt
Planning to get the Xpipe from Ford Performance. I don't believe they offer an H. At some point I may go with the Borla atak that comes with their switch fire, that's made for the GT500 with the Mach 1 adapters.
What tune did you go with?
I have been running Palm Beach for the past 2 years. E85 tune.

Sponsored

Ardiyanto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ardi
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
Honestly, I still can’t tell the difference in sound. E.g. if I were to get in your car, I would’ve still had to ask you what you had installed, an X or an H.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
6hp I wouldn’t exactly call that much more lol
6hp here, 5hp there it adds to the base, want to nip pick, we can do that.
More is more as less is less LMAO

rock on

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
The horsepower difference is about 1.5%
That percentage is close to the acceptable Dyno load cell +/- tolerance from run to run.
Also the exhaust systems over all temperature from front to back has an impact on the HP power level.
Nothing against Steeda but 3 pulls each averaged gets us closer to the real HP delta.

Last edited:

Cux211

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
22 f250 6.7 platinum tremor
6hp here, 5hp there it adds to the base, want to nip pick, we can do that.
More is more as less is less LMAO

rock on
If the comments was the x pipe makes a bit more hp then yes that’s a fact but the comment was “the x pipe makes much more power than the H”
Sponsored