X-Pipe or H-Pipe... Loudness?

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
So I watched a couple YouTube videos and I’ll end up searching more...
I had a previous exhaust thread and after some discussion had my heart set on the MBRP Race exhaust just because it sounds amazingly loud for my liking and taste. Roush is maybe a close 2nd. However the MBRP fit my budget compared to a lot of the other systems.

So I was thinking of making the purchase and then thought well what if I just do and X Pipe or H pipe what’s the difference in sound is one deeper or louder than the other?

figured I’d ask before i purchase because going this route could say me quite a bit of money over the MBRP race system.

I also DO NOT have Active Exhaust.
Thanks I value your input.
Sponsored

Coyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Abe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have the roush and h pipe and it is super loud and the sound is great. Low and rumbly but tears at high rpms. The x pipe will be a little more tingy and raspy at the high rpms. Check my video out! Also no drone at all. I heard the mbrp is good too but can drone.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
H pipes will give you a deeper tone more to classic V8's where as X pipes are a bit more raspy on the high end more of a race car sound.
I currently have a res. delete and h pipe and it sounds good, just a tad louder then stock and nice tone, but even at high rpms in sport plus mode it can get quite high pitched. I'm upgrading to Borla Ataks myself, but I do have active.
As far as loudness x is more loud then h, but if you go with the race system it will be wayyyy more loud.

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
H pipes will give you a deeper tone more to classic V8's where as X pipes are a bit more raspy on the high end more of a race car sound.
I currently have a res. delete and h pipe and it sounds good, just a tad louder then stock and nice tone, but even at high rpms in sport plus mode it can get quite high pitched. I'm upgrading to Borla Ataks myself, but I do have active.
As far as loudness x is more loud then h, but if you go with the race system it will be wayyyy more loud.

Might have to give this some thought.

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
If you get a resonator delete now, either X or H, you WILL be getting an exhaust. The delete is ok for a little bit more noise, but soon, you realize that you want more. Just buy a complete cat back once, and be done. I have a X pipe with Bassani axle back and it sounds nice, but there are times I want more. I'm now looking at maybe doing an exhaust cutout and side pipes, or split it right before the muffles and out the back.

Sponsored

zworld

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zane
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I have the MBRP race exhaust. h pipe . Love it I get so many compliments! Plus you get 4" tips

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The other thing to consider is how are your neighbors? With the race system and no active exhaust they will hear it. lol

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
If you get a resonator delete now, either X or H, you WILL be getting an exhaust. The delete is ok for a little bit more noise, but soon, you realize that you want more. Just buy a complete cat back once, and be done. I have a X pipe with Bassani axle back and it sounds nice, but there are times I want more. I'm now looking at maybe doing an exhaust cutout and side pipes, or split it right before the muffles and out the back.
yeah only problem is the tips are like a bolt on right? That sucks a bit...

I have the MBRP race exhaust. h pipe . Love it I get so many compliments! Plus you get 4" tips
not doing both either 1 or the other.

The other thing to consider is how are your neighbors? With the race system and no active exhaust they will hear it. lol
I am not concerned

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I have had both an X and an H on my car with the stock mufflers. Both gave a louder but raspier / tinnier tone. The H was MAYBE a little deeper than the X.

I have also had a Magnaflow resonated X pipe with the stock mufflers, which is a good comparison to the stock resonator, which is built like an H pipe. Both about the same level of sound volume (the X was maybe a little louder) but neither was raspy or tinny.

Like @None2Slow said above - just go straight to a catback or axle-back. The stock 2018+ mufflers are OK if you prefer a raspier exhaust but I don't. I ended up getting the LTH Scorpion axle back and kept the stock resonator and absolutely love it.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
In my previous life as driver of 2018 GT, I replaced the resonator with the Borla SwitchFire, kept the stock mufflers. I was delighted with the sound, and really enjoyed knowing there was some exhaust-tuning physics at work under there.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yeah well my reason is I can get the piping done for a couple hundred dollars instead of spending over $600 +++.
I don’t want to cheap out but money is money and I’m not trying to pay a couple extra hundred dollars for CLOSE to the same sound. Now if you tell me the sound is different by boatloads that’ll make me consider it big time

OP
OP

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
In my previous life as driver of 2018 GT, I replaced the resonator with the Borla SwitchFire, kept the stock mufflers. I was delighted with the sound, and really enjoyed knowing there was some exhaust-tuning physics at work under there.
that’s not bad... it’s exactly as described slightly more than stock...

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have had both an X and an H on my car with the stock mufflers. Both gave a louder but raspier / tinnier tone. The H was MAYBE a little deeper than the X.

I have also had a Magnaflow resonated X pipe with the stock mufflers, which is a good comparison to the stock resonator, which is built like an H pipe. Both about the same level of sound volume (the X was maybe a little louder) but neither was raspy or tinny.

Like @None2Slow said above - just go straight to a catback or axle-back. The stock 2018+ mufflers are OK if you prefer a raspier exhaust but I don't. I ended up getting the LTH Scorpion axle back and kept the stock resonator and absolutely love it.
Yeah people are dramatic bout x vs H. The muffler and year makes the most difference. Anything you pair with an 18+ (higher rpms=raspier) roush or mbrp is going to be loud af and race car raspy. Difference will be small.

zworld

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zane
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
yeah only problem is the tips are like a bolt on right? That sucks a bit...

not doing both either 1 or the other.

I am not concerned
MBRP race exhaust comes with the h-pipe

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I'm running the SVE X pipe in the stock size pipe, and then 3" axle back. No point in changing the size, since I'm not looking for max power or on a tune. The Bassani mufflers and tips were for a 2014 that I made work and I got for free. So I got maybe $150 in the whole install. I installed it myself and I get compliments all the time. 1 of these days I should do a sound clip.
Sponsored