Sponsored

X-Pipe or H-Pipe... Loudness?

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I went with an X-pipe and Roush AB. Stock 2.5" diameter, stock exhaust manifolds, stock cats. I will forwarn you it is incredibly loud, and this is from a guy who in his earlier years drove around with dumps right at the headers. It is so loud that just giving it a little gas to go up a hill or something will make it so loud that everyone around you will look. If that's what you want then you'll love it. But I redesigned my system after less than a week because the last thing I need is to be pulled over because my car sounds loud. And the cold start was

I ended up welding in dynomax bullets after the X but before the AB's. It seemed too quiet at first, but as I've blown out/burned the fiberglass packing, it is pretty good.

I plan on revising it again and going with a side exit exhaust somehow keeping the Roush mufflers (Because I love their sound) but it's going to be tight. LOL I have a mock up of two cardboard mufflers, now I need to get my lazy rear out there and grind away and do a lil welding.
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I went with an X-pipe and Roush AB. Stock 2.5" diameter, stock exhaust manifolds, stock cats. I will forwarn you it is incredibly loud, and this is from a guy who in his earlier years drove around with dumps right at the headers. It is so loud that just giving it a little gas to go up a hill or something will make it so loud that everyone around you will look. If that's what you want then you'll love it. But I redesigned my system after less than a week because the last thing I need is to be pulled over because my car sounds loud. And the cold start was

I ended up welding in dynomax bullets after the X but before the AB's. It seemed too quiet at first, but as I've blown out/burned the fiberglass packing, it is pretty good.

I plan on revising it again and going with a side exit exhaust somehow keeping the Roush mufflers (Because I love their sound) but it's going to be tight. LOL I have a mock up of two cardboard mufflers, now I need to get my lazy rear out there and grind away and do a lil welding.
Yeah Its loud. Fortunately I live in Michigan, land of the straight piped trucks, muscle cars, harley's, and zero emission tests. I've literally seen cars with full drag packs, parachutes, roll cage, and all driving around. Just don't tint your windows.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah Its loud. Fortunately I live in Michigan, land of the straight piped trucks, muscle cars, harley's, and zero emission tests. I've literally seen cars with full drag packs, parachutes, roll cage, and all driving around. Just don't tint your windows.
Where do you think I lived when I had open headers :wink:

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
do either of these add any noticeable power compared to the stock suitcase?

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm going to be honest here, I doubt it. The stock system is really pretty stout at 2.5 inches x 2. It seems faster, but I'm more than willing to concede that it's the placebo effect. Sound can trick you like that.

The suitcase is heavy though, so by chopping that off, you do lose some weight and that itself might help a little bit.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm going to be honest here, I doubt it. The stock system is really pretty stout at 2.5 inches x 2. It seems faster, but I'm more than willing to concede that it's the placebo effect. Sound can trick you like that.

The suitcase is heavy though, so by chopping that off, you do lose some weight and that itself might help a little bit.
You only really lose 7 pounds total after all is said and done. Pretty negligible.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Where do you think I lived when I had open headers :wink:
Michigan sucks most of the time but come summer people roll out their muscle cars and let er rip.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium

i guess every little bit counts. i would need some decent power gains though to make the sound increase worth it. my steeda axlebacks already have nasty cold starts that i'm sure my neighbors aren't thrilled with (live in apartment where my garage echoes everything). i'm going to skip it

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Michigan sucks most of the time but come summer people roll out their muscle cars and let er rip.
Yeah I miss the mile roads :) Never hung out on the Woodwards/Gratiot's seemed like I was never going into Detroit. I'm old enough to remember when MI actually did have emissions testing (It was a sniffer). I think that went the way of the do-do bird sometime in the 80's or early 90's.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
i guess every little bit counts. i would need some decent power gains though to make the sound increase worth it. my steeda axlebacks already have nasty cold starts that i'm sure my neighbors aren't thrilled with (live in apartment where my garage echoes everything). i'm going to skip it
In non rotational mass 7lbs is not much but likely would save more weight than that. I would have 0 expectations on power increase it is simply for sound.

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You know how it is out here, yeah your neighbors would call the cops after a month of daily startups. Mine was so loud that I started it with the garage door closed. Then I made PVC mini mufflers I slipped over the tailpipes for about 60 seconds before I pulled them off. I'm not making this up, there are a few threads where I got the idea. Removing the suitcase and replacing with an X makes it surprisingly loud. I can't compare it to an H, but because of the higher frequency of the X combined with the raspy roush AB, it probably sounds louder than a deeper-tone system at the same decibels. Don't get me wrong, I like raspy sounding exhausts - it's why I went with the Mustang/Coyote instead of the 'bassy' Camaro/LS.

If you work with a tuner, they can program out some of the startup bark, but that alone isn't enough to make it livable (If you respect your neighbors LOL). I have a steeda "X" by the way. Very nice piece, too bad I had to cut it up so much to weld in the dynomax bullets.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
You know how it is out here, yeah your neighbors would call the cops after a month of daily startups. Mine was so loud that I started it with the garage door closed. Then I made PVC mini mufflers I slipped over the tailpipes for about 60 seconds before I pulled them off. I'm not making this up, there are a few threads where I got the idea. Removing the suitcase and replacing with an X makes it surprisingly loud. I can't compare it to an H, but because of the higher frequency of the X combined with the raspy roush AB, it probably sounds louder than a deeper-tone system at the same decibels. Don't get me wrong, I like raspy sounding exhausts - it's why I went with the Mustang/Coyote instead of the 'bassy' Camaro/LS.

If you work with a tuner, they can program out some of the startup bark, but that alone isn't enough to make it livable (If you respect your neighbors LOL). I have a steeda "X" by the way. Very nice piece, too bad I had to cut it up so much to weld in the dynomax bullets.
Yup I park backed in to garage and start with door shut. Most tuners can reduce the the cold start duration but will still be there for at least the first 10-20 seconds likely.

Jo3f1sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
This is a pretty good comparison on the H-Pipe vs. X-Pipe tone on these cars.

Same exact exhaust setup (Stock headers, resonator delete, GT500 mufflers). The only difference is the H-Pipe (white car), and an X-Pipe (blue car, mine).

Start both videos at the same time.

H:

X:

You can definitely hear the throatiness of the H-Pipe compared to the raspiness and more...exotic(?) sound of the X-Pipe. It all comes down to personal preference. I honestly love both, and my car came with the X-Pipe installed already, so I just went with it.

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
Is AWE touring the only full catback that comes with an h pipe?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase