zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
So I watched a couple YouTube videos and I’ll end up searching more...
I had a previous exhaust thread and after some discussion had my heart set on the MBRP Race exhaust just because it sounds amazingly loud for my liking and taste. Roush is maybe a close 2nd. However the MBRP fit my budget compared to a lot of the other systems.

So I was thinking of making the purchase and then thought well what if I just do and X Pipe or H pipe what’s the difference in sound is one deeper or louder than the other?

figured I’d ask before i purchase because going this route could say me quite a bit of money over the MBRP race system.

I also DO NOT have Active Exhaust.
Thanks I value your input.
H has less raspiness to it. UltimatelY up to your liking. H will sound remotely closer to old school V8 but there’s not a huge difference.
Sponsored

Paul's Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium, Magnetic, Showstopper Red
I have had both an X and an H on my car with the stock mufflers. Both gave a louder but raspier / tinnier tone. The H was MAYBE a little deeper than the X.

I have also had a Magnaflow resonated X pipe with the stock mufflers, which is a good comparison to the stock resonator, which is built like an H pipe. Both about the same level of sound volume (the X was maybe a little louder) but neither was raspy or tinny.

Like @None2Slow said above - just go straight to a catback or axle-back. The stock 2018+ mufflers are OK if you prefer a raspier exhaust but I don't. I ended up getting the LTH Scorpion axle back and kept the stock resonator and absolutely love it.
Thanks for this post. I've scoured the threads looking for someone that had tried both the X and H pipes with stock mufflers and heard what I've heard on all the youtube videos I've watched. There's just not that much difference in the sound of the two pipes. In the videos I've watched it was hard to detect the so called huge differences in sound between the X and H. It was subtle at best. If it's that subtle then I'm going with the Steeda X pipe with my stock active exhaust. Their X pipe showed a nice improvement in HP and torque across a very broad power band compared to their own H pipe. I want more volume out of my exhaust but I want the extra power too. I'm not going to give up the extra power for a slightly deeper exhaust note that in a double blind test would probably be hard to hear. I currently have the Magnaflow resonated X pipe and honestly can't detect much difference in volume or tone from the factory suitcase resonated H pipe. If i had to pick one for volume, maybe the Magnaflow is slightly louder but the tone is the same.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Some people say you can feel 10-15 hp difference in HP and Torque, others say you can't. I say go for the one you want.

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
The corsa Double X pipe sounded the best out of all that I have heard . Best way to describe it clean sounding compared to the others ,including the steeda x pipe.but is quite a bit more expensive.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Thanks for this post. I've scoured the threads looking for someone that had tried both the X and H pipes with stock mufflers and heard what I've heard on all the youtube videos I've watched. There's just not that much difference in the sound of the two pipes. In the videos I've watched it was hard to detect the so called huge differences in sound between the X and H. It was subtle at best. If it's that subtle then I'm going with the Steeda X pipe with my stock active exhaust. Their X pipe showed a nice improvement in HP and torque across a very broad power band compared to their own H pipe. I want more volume out of my exhaust but I want the extra power too. I'm not going to give up the extra power for a slightly deeper exhaust note that in a double blind test would probably be hard to hear. I currently have the Magnaflow resonated X pipe and honestly can't detect much difference in volume or tone from the factory suitcase resonated H pipe. If i had to pick one for volume, maybe the Magnaflow is slightly louder but the tone is the same.
You won't notice a difference in power with an X or an H. It's all placebo, partly because it makes your car louder. It's the same with cold air intakes.

Sponsored

Paul's Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium, Magnetic, Showstopper Red
I finally decided on the Steeda X pipe and went straight to the source to have it installed. I took my own Squirelly exhaust clamps to use instead of the inferior Steeda clamps. They did an excellent job on the installation. The exhaust tips were in perfect alignment and after a 1000 mile road trip they are still straight with no leaks. It really woke the exhaust up. Quiet mode is now only slightly quieter than normal mode was with the Magnaflow resonated X pipe. Normal is now about as loud as sport mode was and sport/track modes are off the charts. No drone on the highway where I usually run it in quiet mode. The butt dyno can't tell much difference but I want to say it feels a little faster but that may all be in my head listening to that beautiful exhaust note.

IMG_E6840.JPG

IMG_E6997.JPG

IMG_E6996.JPG

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
I’m also in the market for a h pipe but some people say it’s sounds deeper and more of a classic V8 sound when compared to the x pipe but others have still said that the H pipe still sounds raspy (not as raspy as the x) and rather tinny.
I don’t want to waste my time with a h pipe if it still sounds tinny. I like deep rumble from my exhaust .
I would like to hear from anyone that wasn’t happy with their H pipe. (I’m not a fan of rasp or tinny sound) so I just want to make sure I’m making the right decision.

Last edited:

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I’m also in the market for a h pipe but some people say it’s sounds deeper and more of a classic V8 sound when compared to the x pipe but others have still said that the H pipe still sounds raspy (not as raspy as the x) and rather tinny.
I don’t want to waste my time with a h pipe if it still sounds tinny. I like deep rumble from my exhaust .
I would like to hear from anyone that wasn’t happy with their H pipe. (I’m not a fan of rasp or tinny sound) so I just want to make sure I’m making the right decision.
I thought the h pipe was raspy up top. I didn't like how it sounded to my ears. Low end or idle sounded great and had a nice rumble, but not when wot. I ended up ditching the h and put on a Borla Atak catback with x pipe. I love how it sounds compared to having just the h pipe. Much louder, yes, but the sound in general is better to my ears. I ended up welding it on. If its just the h vs the x with a res. delete then I do think the h sounds better. Unfortunately you're going to get some raspyness from whatever setup just because of the Coyote engine.
Sponsored