Would you keep it?

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Hi, all. I've been quiet about it since it happened, but, things are finally starting to resolve and I may be back in the seat of my own car again soon. Hopefully.

Back in November I got rear-ended by a truck on the highway. (Relatively) light hit, no airbags, 100% not at fault, other driver was distracted, covered by insurance, etc, etc, etc. All things considered, for a first accident, I guess I came out lucky in those regards. Not totaled, fortunately—or unfortunately depending on your outlook on damage to a sport car. But it has been a long, slow, and very anxious four months. I got the summary of damage back in December, but between the Holiday season immediately chasing and grinding progress to a halt, and the ever present supply line shortages that we're all no doubt well accustomed to, work only started at the tail-end of January. Frame damage to the rear driver side. Spoiler below for picture.

unknown.png

I've floated the idea of offloading and either snagging a '22 (Or a '23, with the glacial rate things are moving...) or some other fun, sporty daily like a GR86 or Stinger GT once insurance and diminished value claims have been settled. But I can't say I'm looking forward to that hassle all too much, either. I like this car. Featureless as it may be, and despite buyer's remorse creeping about said lack of features. It's served well. But now, with that mark of frame damage... I don't know. As said above, this is my first accident, and first car with major damage. Hopefully my last accident, if it can be helped. Regarding the extent of the damage, hearsay from others says it isn't a great thing to have.

This serves as much for shotgunning a pit of soured feelings and worry that's been welling in my stomach for the past four months, as it does to ask advice, or opinion: Forbidding something major happened to your S550—but if it did, and wasn't in a condition anywhere near being totaled. What would you do?

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
As long as it drives right I would keep it. From what you posted it sounds like you do like the car and the financial loss you would take on it now would be huge. A near new car with an accident report is almost worthless. If you drive it and enjoy for a number of years that drop in resale value because of the accident would be a lot less.

I don't see how there could be very much frame damage from that picture. The rear taillight panel is bent up but since the rear quarter panel still looks straight I don't see how the frame could have moved.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
As long as it drives right I would keep it. From what you posted it sounds like you do like the car and the financial loss you would take on it now would be huge. A near new car with an accident report is almost worthless. If you drive it and enjoy for a number of years that drop in resale value because of the accident would be a lot less.

I don't see how there could be very much frame damage from that picture. The rear taillight panel is bent up but since the rear quarter panel still looks straight I don't see how the frame could have moved.
Gonna agree with this, brand new sports car with a single accident will be worth a lot less than you’d life to get for it. Repair it, enjoy it.

OP
OP
Konamoth

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base

Shop explained it was more forward movement than lateral. You can see a crease in the rear quarter from the metal beneath being shoved forward. It was a Silverado at what felt like a good 15-20mph relative to my speed.

I'll still need to see what that loss might be. Running numbers on estimating sites show it not being as awful as worthless, but, I've taken those numbers with far less than a grain of salt. Diminished value will start after I get it back in hand and appraised, so whatever that difference comes out to.

Gonna agree with this, brand new sports car with a single accident will be worth a lot less than you’d life to get for it. Repair it, enjoy it.
I'll keep it in mind. I've always heard once a car has frame damage it's a liability. That particular invasive thought has been snaking its way in more and more often as pickup nears.

OP
OP
Konamoth

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I agree with @PoCoBob. I'd say keep it as well. Just make sure that the work is done to your satisfaction and enjoy the car. While the thought that it's been in an accident may seem like to much to handle at the moment, the financial hit you'd take on top may be worse in the long run. Sounds like a head game this accident is playing with you. Put that thought behind you, put on your favorite music and drive on.
Thanks. And yeah, it's definitely mostly head games, and I know it. It's just been awfully hard to brush those thoughts away, still sitting in an office chair four months deep.

I chose a dealer body shop with good reviews, and despite my frustration with the long repair time, it seems they've done good work. We'll see for sure once it's in person. Honestly, I'm more concerned with what gremlins might arise from it sitting nearly still for four full months...

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Any chance you took the car to either Magnum Collision in Kennesaw or Sports And Imports in Chamblee?

OP
OP
Konamoth

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Any chance you took the car to either Magnum Collision in Kennesaw or Sports And Imports in Chamblee?
Afraid not, I stuck with a dealer body shop to make sure it'd be OE parts. And with the flurry of things when the accident happened (and the naive notion it'd only be a month or two), I just researched for the best dealer-based shop available. Are those two shops good?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
My advice is to take the car to Steeda’s Valdosta, GA facility and have them do a thorough inspection and assessment of the car. With their road racing background, I would imagine that they’d have a frame machine as well. Those guys have a passion for Mustangs and should give you the good, bad and ugly. It may cost you a couple of hundred dollars, but that would be money well spent, especially if they determine that you should get rid of it.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
If it needs frame straightening I probably dump it. Ive had cars with that sort of hit and they never are quite right again. It its just bumpers and sub frames, keep it. Id take of advantage of the hot market and wait for an order at a discount.

Whipped500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Wanting
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I have always wondered what recourse/compensation someone has when they get hit but the car isn't totaled?

What I mean or what I'm getting at (and this is a perfect example with the OP)is the accident wasn't his fault and the car is being repaired but as mentioned above, now there is a history of damage. This in my mind makes me walk away from a vehicle immediately if shopping. It also reflects value. Does the OP/not at fault driver get anything for decreased value? I know the car gets repaired but the way I look at it, the not at fault driver is out money because of value unless it is driven into the ground.

Am I looking at this wrong or is there any compensation? It's a serious question so sorry if I'm missing something or looking at it wrong.

Sponsored

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
I hope I'm not hijacking the thread but I have always wondered what recourse/compensation someone has when they get hit but the car isn't totaled?

What I mean or what I'm getting at (and this is a perfect example with the OP)is the accident wasn't his fault and the car is being repaired but as mentioned above, now there is a history of damage. This in my mind makes me walk away from a vehicle immediately if shopping. It also reflects value. Does the OP/not at fault driver get anything for decreased value? I know the car gets repaired but the way I look at it, the not at fault driver is out money because of value unless it is driven into the ground.

Am I looking at this wrong or is there any compensation? It's a serious question so sorry if I'm missing something or looking at it wrong.
Its called diminished value. If another party is at fault you can claim it most of the time. If its shared fault your own policy likely doesn’t cover it. Laws vary a lot by state however. Id expect a bit of a fight to get it even if it’s legally possible to collect.

OP
OP
Konamoth

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base

It depends on the state. Here in Georgia, diminished value applies to vehicles with:
A market value of $7,000 or more
$500 or more in damages
Low/normal mileage
Clean title
Less than ten years old

Being a required state, if diminished value is filed on a vehicle in Georgia and the vehicle qualifies, it must be paid by the other party's insurance. Other states handle things differently, some not honoring it at all. Look into your specific state's laws on it. I didn't know anything about it until my sister (insurance agent) mentioned it. Good to know.

OP
OP
Konamoth

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
My advice is to take the car to Steeda’s Valdosta, GA facility and have them do a thorough inspection and assessment of the car. With their road racing background, I would imagine that they’d have a frame machine as well. Those guys have a passion for Mustangs and should give you the good, bad and ugly. It may cost you a couple of hundred dollars, but that would be money well spent, especially if they determine that you should get rid of it.
You know, I hadn't considered running it down to Steeda. I suppose I could ring them up and see what they have to say on it once repairs are done, if they'll take a look. Maybe snag something nice to warm the soul, if it's not awful. 😂

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
In my poor country all Mustang's are from copart and looking a lot worse than this on the picture. I would say keep it.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You know, I hadn't considered running it down to Steeda. I suppose I could ring them up and see what they have to say on it once repairs are done, if they'll take a look. Maybe snag something nice to warm the soul, if it's not awful. 😂
Sounds like a good plan. I would put more money on them knowing how to make sure it precise that I would a dealership. Not bashing dealers (this time), but just saying, they HAVE to run their cars perfectly for handling purposes when racing, whereas a dealer may just say, “It’s close nuff for gumment work” and send you out the door to potentially discover down the road that you made a huge mistake in keeping it. Peace of mind is what you need and the folks at Steeda can give you that. Please keep us posted on your findings.
Sponsored