Sponsored

Which aftermarket radiator?

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Where do u guys pick up the oil
Temp from.I got a whipple coming with the larger HE.I can’t believe this Mach 1 doesn’t have an oil temp gauge to read oil temp. A track car.U think they word of gave us the Gt500 performance pack gauges , but guess not because no my color
Nowhere really. I'll be installing an aftermarket gauge with a sensor. I believe you could get a central gauge pack from a GT350, but the oil temp would still be calculated and kinda not very useful. it is ridiculous for a performance car not to have this.
Sponsored

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
18 Dodge Charger scat pack
Nowhere really. I'll be installing an aftermarket gauge with a sensor. I believe you could get a central gauge pack from a GT350, but the oil temp would still be calculated and kinda not very useful. it is ridiculous for a performance car not to have this.
So true.my 2021 Jeep wangler4xev has oil temp 🤔

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
So true.my 2021 Jeep wangler4xev has oil temp 🤔
At least you can monitor your vacuum in 3 different places, as well as the battery charge. Surely, these are much more important than some oil temp gauge when driving most track capable mustangs around the tracks 🤷‍♂️🤣

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
At least you can monitor your vacuum in 3 different places, as well as the battery charge. Surely, these are much more important than some oil temp gauge when driving most track capable mustangs around the tracks 🤷‍♂️🤣
YepI .guess CHT is good enough !!

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I am thinking to T off where oil pressure sensor is and get a oil temp & coolant temp in a pillar pod

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Grandma wants to know these important facts on her first track day, come on now.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I am thinking to T off where oil pressure sensor is and get a oil temp & coolant temp in a pillar pod
yep, that's the cheapest and probably the most non-intrusive way to get proper oil temp readings with one of these things: Oil Pressure Sensor Adapter,M12 x 1.5 1/8 NPT Car Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Stainless Steel Tee Adapter Car Oil Pressure Sensor Modification Car Accessories, Oil Pressure - Amazon Canada (check what thread you have on mach1)
you could also go with one of those oil filter spacers, like this one: Oil Filter Spacer | sūsa (setrabusa.com) . would be easier to install.

As far as coolant temp - personally, I'd rather keep the oil pressure instead. CHT is sufficient to understand what is happening with the coolant.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I run my 2019 GTPP without aftermarket oil temp gauge. High CHT limited A10 shift performance on track, so I added the auxiliary oil cooler. Temps now seem to be under control for up to 30min sessions on mid-80's days.

Of course I have a sandwich plate under the filter to tap the flow in/out of the cooler. I also drilled and tapped it for a future temp sensor. If I use that next year, I will probably get a Glowshift temp gauge.

This thread is titled for aftermarket radiator, but discussing oil temp is a related sidetrack. Both water and oil temps need to be brought under control when tracking, but IMO adding the oil cooler first made more sense for getting a bigger improvement than switching out the radiator.

Ryan_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2013 GMC Sierra, 2015 Maserati Ghibli
Where do u guys pick up the oil
Temp from.I got a whipple coming with the larger HE.I can’t believe this Mach 1 doesn’t have an oil temp gauge to read oil temp. A track car.U think they word of gave us the Gt500 performance pack gauges , but guess not because no my color
Im not sure where the guys with factory cooler setups pull temps but I have a thermostatic sandwich plate and spacer with sensor ports on my car.

20200909_161149.jpg

20200909_161216.jpg

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I like to Coolant and oil temps on track .my charger scat pack had oil temp gauge

Sponsored

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
I first T'd off the oil pressure switch to get actual oil pressure and temp, but that was a mess of fittings. I did not like how much leverage is on that little T with 3 sensors.

I then went the Susa route with a stack like like Ryan_s550 pictured above. I don't like the stack much either, but I like it more than a mess of fittings.

I was leery it would all stay tight, but I have quite a few track days now with the Susa setup and it seems to be working well.

If I was going to do it again, I think Susa has 1 fitting on the Oil Cooler Sandwich plate available and I'd get the Susa M22 90 with sensor port that's available. Thread that on my Setrab Cooler inlet. That would allow you to eliminate the Susa sensor spacer from the stack and be able to run both oil temp and pressure.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
If I was going to do it again, I think Susa has 1 fitting on the Oil Cooler Sandwich plate available and I'd get the Susa M22 90 with sensor port that's available. Thread that on my Setrab Cooler inlet. That would allow you to eliminate the Susa sensor spacer from the stack and be able to run both oil temp and pressure.
I'm planning to use one of these for oil temp sensor: RaceFlux -12AN Male to -12AN Female w/ 1/8" NPT Female Sensor Port (improvedracing.com) . it seems to be the easiest install option for aftermarket cooler sandwich plate without sensor ports and 12AN lines (Setrab and ImprovedRacing plates come without ports). Mishimoto plate has those ports, but it's pretty much limited to 10AN. I have PP1 oil pressure gauge in place from factory, and I don't see a point to replace it with anything else.

Reactions: GTP

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
I got a whipple coming soon and want to get a new radiator why’ll it all apart for the whipple install.I got whipples larger oversized HE.I want to still track the car if I can ,but don’t know if I’ll be able to with the whipple.My Mach 1 is mostly a street car.only do a 1-2 HPDE day a year. been thinking of getting Kenny Brown’s radiator or Fluidyne 3core/triple pass .l also be looking a CFS one too.

Scat2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
After installing a Whipple supercharger, with the large heat exchanger, the CHT has gone up significantly on track. Pushing the car at about 7-8/10 the CHT will climb to ~240F after 10 minutes on track. Half a lap cool down sees the CHT drop back to ~200F. Ambient air temp is ~60F. I have a PP model with an open grill, Trackspec hood vents, Reische 170 thermostat, and the FRPP M-8501-M52A "Gen 2" high flow water pump. Coolant mixture is ~80/20 per a refractometer. During normal street driving the CHT remains about 170-180F when the car is moving and the ambient air temp is ~100-110F. Given how low the CHT is during normal driving I am of the opinion that the addition of the supercharger has exceeded the capacity of the factory cooling system and I am ready to spend money on an aftermarket radiator. I plan to box the radiator as well and will probably do that after I install the new radiator.

What I am asking is for people to share their experience with the following products: Fluidyne (which I have read that Boardkat has had positive results with), DeWitt, and C&R. I have narrowed my selection down to the three, aforementioned, manufactures so I am respectfully asking that feedback in this thread stay to those three manufacturers. The are plenty of threads dedicated to Mishimoto, for example, so no need to rehash it here.

Thanks.
I’m getting ready for my whipple install and looking to get a radiator.have u track your all yet & what year your car.I have a Mach 1 HP and still like to day a HPDE day a few times a day.how did the DeWitt fix with whipple larger heat exchanger ?I looking in to Kenny brown radiator that a triple pass which is made by fluidyne.I’ve call fluidyne many times this week with no results.they don’t answer there phone call or return call after leaving multiple messages, but they did update their website for the price increases.so just looking for another option.

OP
OP
turbofiveoh

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I’m getting ready for my whipple install and looking to get a radiator.have u track your all yet & what year your car.I have a Mach 1 HP and still like to day a HPDE day a few times a day.how did the DeWitt fix with whipple larger heat exchanger ?I looking in to Kenny brown radiator that a triple pass which is made by fluidyne.I’ve call fluidyne many times this week with no results.they don’t answer there phone call or return call after leaving multiple messages, but they did update their website for the price increases.so just looking for another option.
I own a 2016 MY GT/PP. Have not had an opportunity to attend a track day or HPDE since installing the radiator.

There is a lot of excellent discussion in this thread from people who regularly track their vehicles. Members like @Flyhalf, who has logged more than a few laps on track in his Mustang, has provided a lot of insight on what it took him to get CHT and coolant temps under control on track. Based on what I learned in this thread swapping the radiator is the first step and how often you track the car and how hard you drive will determine the extent of mods needed.

As it relates to your question about dual pass vs triple pass, there was a very good discussion early in this thread. I opted for dual pass due to the cooling system requirements to effectively support a triple pass. I would encourage you to talk to John Dingman (@luckydingman) at DeWitts. He is very knowledgeable and was very helpful when I was going through the decision making process.
Sponsored

Last edited: