Sponsored

Bigger radiator vs oil cooler

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
2017 Ecoboost. For HPDE events, which modification would provide better cooling/engine protection - upgrade to the larger radiator, or install an oil cooler? I assume the correct answer is "both", but which is the most bang for the buck and best choice to do first?
Sponsored

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
I'm interested in the answer to this too. That said for a turbo 4cyl without an oil cooler the answer to this question is almost always a big oil cooler on a thermostat. Once that is done if you are still overheating you can Do some rad ducting or hood venting. Don't underestimate the power of ducting. Or heat extraction throug the hood (via vents) for that matter. The hood is basically a huge air damn.

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
My bet is oil cooler. I don't think the ecoboosts have problems with coolant getting too hot but do have a problem with the intercoolers getting too hot. Removing the oil cooling responsibility from the radiator can only help the overall cooling ability of the car.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I would wait until you run in an event and see if you have any heat related issues. However the differentials on the s550 have know heat soak issues, upgrade to a better diff fluid and go from there. Don't spend money if you don't have to.

The Baby Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
I ran this Mishimoto Oil Cooler and Radiator. I could only make it about 10 min in before engine protection. I switched to a CSF Rad for the 5.0L, a custom Oil cooler setup http://www.improvedracing.com/setrab-oil-coolers/setrab-40-row-series-oil-cooler-p-254.html

and you'l have to go with Livernoise intercooler because the CSF rad takes up the room where the factory unit is. I built a custom intercooler but I think to use all the shelf parts you'll have to use livernoise as it's the only one with the correct charge pipe routing. Also the rad outlet on the Ecoboost is 1.34" and the 5.0L unit is 1.5" but there is a converter if you need that info it is just tuff to find. I spent a lot of time getting the cooling right but mine is track only.

The larger 5.0L and direct plug and play with the ecoboost harness too just larger units.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Thanks for the replies. I have already upgraded my rear diffy. I may go with oil cooler first, then see how that goes.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I track twice a month my 2018 with a MIshi Oil Cooler. I have a 10 speed . I had issues with the oil cooler in upper grille cause it was blocking the airflow to he trans cooler creating issues in paddle shifting. ( trans temp up to 245) . I moved the oil cooler to the lower grille and fixed . Car runs 20 min session .
I have Many pics on my IG if you want to take a look.
@Italian_stang

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Oil cooler definitely, as it has a dual effect on both CHTs and oil temps.

For one, you remove the load on the stock radiator by not having to cool oil temps, so that will in turn help with cooling the coolant more. Second, cooler oil will help cool the engine better, so the radiator won't have to work as hard to keep up.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
is there really no aftermarket oil pans that are finned for the 2.3? the stock ones are composite correct?

The Baby Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost
is there really no aftermarket oil pans that are finned for the 2.3? the stock ones are composite correct?
Nothing that I've seen. I would even take a baffle kit for the track at this point. they have one for the 2.3L Focus just ins't compatible with the EB Mustang.

Maybe Steeda or one of the other vendors could come up with something?
Sponsored