what lug nuts are you using?

OP
OP

mooosestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
You are just looking at the taper. The taper could be bigger or smaller depending on how thick the rim in that spot is. And to be honest, that taper doesn't look like anything has actually seated on it, it looks really clean/untouched.

Look at the lugnut itself. The spot you are looking at may or may not get hit when torquing the lugnut, the time between when the lugnut touches the wheel, to when the lugnut centers the wheel on the stud. The lugnut itself is the best spot to look at what is actually contacting.
nothing has touched it because the lug nut doesn't touch, lol! the lug nut is in the picture. did you think that was a picture of a hole in the wheel?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
going to try these. they are the same length and right thread pitch, plus they are 1 piece https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MTDDQB6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AIHVL468YWUM0&th=1 they are 23mm wide, the ones i have are only 20mm. There's only two kinds of tapers, 60deg and 45deg. I assume these shelby wheels are 60deg like most wheels. According to google only some racing rims use a 45deg taper.
Wrong thread pitch dude. Your old mustang was 1/2-20, your new one is M14-1.50. Besides with all the Gorilla recommendations, why get some knockoff on amazon?

60 degree conical is right.

It does look like your shelby wheels can take full size (aka large diameter) nuts, and yeah I wouldn't run those small diameter lugs if a large diameter fits. Often aftermarket wheels only have small diameter holes, but many do have stock sized larger holes (SVE wheels go either way FWIW).

For large diameter lugs, I use gorilla, (or the ford performance open lugs, which are awesome, but for this application I'd use the closed end gorilas)

https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla...style-bulge-black-chrome-2015-2022/p/WHLLN20/

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
nothing has touched it because the lug nut doesn't touch, lol! the lug nut is in the picture. did you think that was a picture of a hole in the wheel?
I went through the same thing you are right now on several sets of wheels, for several different cars. You have to compare the markings on the lugnuts to see how much of each lug nut touches. What I found when I did this was the factory lugnuts touches just as much surface area as the smaller diameter aftermarket lugnuts.

Easiest way to do this. Paint the taper on the factory lugnut, and the aftermarket lugnut. Use a white paint pen. Torque one set of lugnuts on, then the second set. Compare the two. You will see how much surface area actually touches on each lugnut type. I have never had a factory lugnut that 100% touches. And on several sets, the factory lugnut actually touches less than the aftermarket, smaller diameter lug nut.

Or keep trying to hammer a screw. What do I know.😏

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I went through the same thing you are right now on several sets of wheels, for several different cars. You have to compare the markings on the lugnuts to see how much of each lug nut touches. What I found when I did this was the factory lugnuts touches just as much surface area as the smaller diameter aftermarket lugnuts.

Easiest way to do this. Paint the taper on the factory lugnut, and the aftermarket lugnut. Use a white paint pen. Torque one set of lugnuts on, then the second set. Compare the two. You will see how much surface area actually touches on each lugnut type. I have never had a factory lugnut that 100% touches. And on several sets, the factory lugnut actually touches less than the aftermarket, smaller diameter lug nut.

Or keep trying to hammer a screw. What do I know.😏
The standard ford nut measures :

Max OD (over stainless cap) : 30.75mm
Max OD (of the ford taper) : 27.10mm
Max OD (that actually contacts the taper in the wheel) : 25.00mm

I found the last measurement using dry wipe marker on a standard nut and torquing it up, it was also a good excuse to try out my new 24" breaker and socket that I got for birthday :

AD019766-4-EA4-4-D85-A1-BE-C259-F4992921.jpg

Diameter needed to cover the silver masked area on the PP wheels : 28.00mm (approx) :

B5-BC2-B3-D-F2-B0-406-C-A71-F-E2-FB37-EA56-EB.jpg

Black wheel nuts are now on the Christmas list ... :like:

WD :like:
WD :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP

mooosestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
Wrong thread pitch dude. Your old mustang was 1/2-20, your new one is M14-1.50. Besides with all the Gorilla recommendations, why get some knockoff on amazon?

60 degree conical is right.

It does look like your shelby wheels can take full size (aka large diameter) nuts, and yeah I wouldn't run those small diameter lugs if a large diameter fits. Often aftermarket wheels only have small diameter holes, but many do have stock sized larger holes (SVE wheels go either way FWIW).

For large diameter lugs, I use gorilla, (or the ford performance open lugs, which are awesome, but for this application I'd use the closed end gorilas)

https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla...style-bulge-black-chrome-2015-2022/p/WHLLN20/
thanks, i'm going to get the larger gorilla nuts. I don't have a 6gen, sorry for the confusion. I created a profile just to ask someone about wheels on this site.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
thanks, i'm going to get the larger gorilla nuts. I don't have a 6gen, sorry for the confusion. I created a profile just to ask someone about wheels on this site.
Ok yeah. Probably gorilla 91188bc then for the black ones (S197 lug thread)

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
No offense but that seems very unsafe. There's a lot less contact surface from the seat of the lug nut cone to the concave cone of the wheel.
What purpose do you think the taper serves? it's to help with centering the wheel on the hub, not primarily to hold the wheels in place.

The wheel is never going to go over the spline nut without some kind of catastrophic failure.

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Last edited:
OP
OP

mooosestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
Are you saying these two lug nuts on the same wheel wil1 have the same amount of contact? That seems impossible, but my next step was to spray plastidip in the taper and see how much touches the factory lug nut.
shelbylugs1.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

mooosestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
What purpose do you think the taper serves? it's to help with centering the wheel on the hub, not primarily to hold the wheels in place.

The wheel is never going to go over the spline nut without some kind of catastrophic failure.
I agree with you on the catastrophic failure part. my concern is these loosening themselves due to less contact. maybe i'm crazy, but if there's a certain amount of surface area for a nut then i kind of want a nut that uses all of it.

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape

By the "taper" I'm assuming ur talking about the cone and how it seats. Yes ur correct that they are lugcentric wheels as opposed to hubcentric. However to say that's the primary reason for lug nuts is a completely asinine statement.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Fwiw, I have had 5 sets of wheels and 5 sets of lug nuts, in both large and small diameters, and the seating areas are not identical on all of those.

You can see where the contact has worn the metal bare. Large do offer a slightly larger contact area. Will a small diameter lug be unsafe? Idk probably not, but it looks bad and why not get some that fit better?

2F392745-4EED-4C17-8F0A-B2DBF22751C2.jpeg

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You're running tuner lugs. Tuner lugs are for aftermarket wheels with very small lug pockets. Its a style thing. The setup you have is totally safe but it looks kinda "hotdog down a hallway".

In general though, Gorilla is the answer. They have tuner and acorn lugs, they come in silver and black. They're high quality, and nicely made. There are a lot of knockoffs out there make sure you get genuine ones.

This is what you need:

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
By the "taper" I'm assuming ur talking about the cone and how it seats. Yes ur correct that they are lugcentric wheels as opposed to hubcentric. However to say that's the primary reason for lug nuts is a completely asinine statement.
I said that was the purpose of the taper, not the lug nut.
Sponsored