Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I have the Gorilla spline on 4 lugs.
And the Gorilla two way lock/ anti theft type on the 5th on each wheel.
Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Mcgard lugnuts are bombproof. I have the 13/16 long version.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
If you haven't already, I'd reach out to the rim maker, explain yourself and ask for a recommendation. Gorilla Nuts alone has nine pages of differing types and gets very specific with respect to length, taper, etc. I'm sure there's something out there. Insight from the manufacturer could remove a lot of frustration.

I'm using Gorillas. The SVE rims shipped with a set. Instructions specifically mentioned to set the stock lugs aside and not use them. LMR advised to tighten the lugs to 150 lb-ft. / 203 nm.
On my SVE wheels my stock lug nuts won't even fit in the rim hole to reach the lug bolts. Even if the did it doesn't look like the bevel on the wheel is the same as the stock lug nut bevel.

Sponsored

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
I reread ur question. I'm confused. Are u looking for 15+ mustang lug nuts or older like s197 stuff? Lol

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
You can, but I wouldn't call it super obvious unless you're a) up close and b) at wheel level

wheel_nuts.png

Edit: wow my wheels are filthy, lol
No offense but that seems very unsafe. There's a lot less contact surface from the seat of the lug nut cone to the concave cone of the wheel.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP, look at hte contact patch on the factory lugnut vs the ones you installed. You will probably find it's the same size as the small diameter lugs you put on. That was the case on my GT350.

I installed OP open lugnuts. makes life much easier than the closed end lugnuts. And just my opinion, the yellow looks awesome on black wheels.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Gorilla small diameter for my SVE wheels (came with the wheel package from LMR) and Gorilla oem-sized for my OEM wheels with snow tires.
Same setup for me, except I use McGard cone seat style for my OEM wheels. The stock type of nut doesn't fit the SVE wheel, and thus these types of nuts with a very small cone seat aren't great for OE wheels. I'm sure they'd still technically work, but I wouldn't trust it either.

Sponsored
OP
OP

mooosestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
OP, look at hte contact patch on the factory lugnut vs the ones you installed. You will probably find it's the same size as the small diameter lugs you put on. That was the case on my GT350.

I installed OP open lugnuts. makes life much easier than the closed end lugnuts. And just my opinion, the yellow looks awesome on black wheels.
You can see the contact patch of my stock lug nuts in the picture, it's huge! you can also see how much of the taper is not touched by the small diameter lug nuts, but here's a red arrow pointing to it. it's a couple of mm worth of seat not being used.
yikes1.jpg

OP
OP

mooosestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
You can, but I wouldn't call it super obvious unless you're a) up close and b) at wheel level

wheel_nuts.png

Edit: wow my wheels are filthy, lol
yours look about the same as mine maybe a hair more engagement. i have 06 small diameter spline lug nuts. 06 uses 1/2 inch, i think yours are 14mm. clearly this isn't an issue or there'd be a lot more wheels falling off, but it doesn't seem like a great design either.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You can see the contact patch of my stock lug nuts in the picture, it's huge! you can also see how much of the taper is not touched by the small diameter lug nuts, but here's a red arrow pointing to it. it's a couple of mm worth of seat not being used.
yikes1.jpg
You are just looking at the taper. The taper could be bigger or smaller depending on how thick the rim in that spot is. And to be honest, that taper doesn't look like anything has actually seated on it, it looks really clean/untouched.

Look at the lugnut itself. The spot you are looking at may or may not get hit when torquing the lugnut, the time between when the lugnut touches the wheel, to when the lugnut centers the wheel on the stud. The lugnut itself is the best spot to look at what is actually contacting.

OP
OP

mooosestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
going to try these. they are the same length and right thread pitch, plus they are 1 piece (nevermind, more than 1 bad review saying they strip out, wth?)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MTDDQB6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AIHVL468YWUM0&th=1 they are 23mm wide, the ones i have are only 20mm. There's only two kinds of tapers, 60deg and 45deg. I assume these shelby wheels are 60deg like most wheels. According to google only some racing rims use a 45deg taper.
Sponsored

Last edited: