Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

ABS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Read post #1773. Mine is still silky smooth.
Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
[MENTION=14278]smokinzx14r[/MENTION]

Yes, I have improved my vibrations on a car with a 100% stock Driveshaft by doing the following:

1: I have seen improvements with high speed vibrations by shimming the front of the IRS cradle down .500"~

2: I have seen improvements with high speed vibrations by replacing the front DS to Trans mating bolts....due to bending them. Once these bent, the vibrations were very noticeable and they drove me nuts. I jacked the car up and ran the car in first gear and noticed the driveshaft was wobbling (crazy run out). Not sure if this could be some of the issues out there, but I now have the same type of vibration again and I honestly think they bent, again.

3: I have seen improvements with WOT / heavy load vibrations (almost feels like bind / grind) by solidifying the differential mounts. I suspect this is simply because of the extreme pinion rise these cars have. To note, I also had this improvement on my blue car with a 1 pc DS over 2 years ago when building my 2015. My car went from trying to throw me out of the seat when I made a quarter mile pass, to being much smoother and tolerable (from installing diff bushings)

I deal with more S550 customers than most people in this industry. I try to share as much as possible.

I have 100% had customers have NVH issues with the axle nuts being loose.

I have 100% had customers who were able to resolve vibrations with 1 pc AND stock Driveshafts by shimming either the trans, the IRS Cradle, or both.

I have 100% had customers who have resolved vibration issues with differential modifications from BMR and other companies.

I have SEEN, but not experienced or been given feedback - people claim to have minimized vibrations by using BMR cradle lockouts/bushings or Steeda IRS solutions. But I would like to point out, I have NOT seen this personally with my cars, BMR cars, or cars I work on - So I would never recommend that to anyone at the present time.

The unfortunate part of this issue is, there are just so many damn parts involved. Right here in this thread you will see so many parts mentioned and methods to possible resolve it. It IS likely that most of them ARE and CAN BE issues that help people - but not every car nor is every persons tolerance for NVH the same. Most importantly the "V". Food for thought, a friend of mine complained about vibrations in his car for months. Myself and another friend both drove and rode in the car at all speeds - and it was the smoothest S550 I have driven. :O

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Smokinzx:

Have you ever measured your pinion angles with your stock ds? The shimming of my x-member fixed the minor vibes. I have a dynotech Aluminum ds. If you find your pinion angles are off, what about shiming the carrier bearing on the stock ds to improve your angles! Its just a suggestion, I dont know if it will work. It all comes down to the measurements you come up with!

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
@smokinzx14r

Yes, I have improved my vibrations on a car with a 100% stock Driveshaft by doing the following:

1: I have seen improvements with high speed vibrations by shimming the front of the IRS cradle down .500"~

2: I have seen improvements with high speed vibrations by replacing the front DS to Trans mating bolts....due to bending them. Once these bent, the vibrations were very noticeable and they drove me nuts. I jacked the car up and ran the car in first gear and noticed the driveshaft was wobbling (crazy run out). Not sure if this could be some of the issues out there, but I now have the same type of vibration again and I honestly think they bent, again.

3: I have seen improvements with WOT / heavy load vibrations (almost feels like bind / grind) by solidifying the differential mounts. I suspect this is simply because of the extreme pinion rise these cars have. To note, I also had this improvement on my blue car with a 1 pc DS over 2 years ago when building my 2015. My car went from trying to throw me out of the seat when I made a quarter mile pass, to being much smoother and tolerable (from installing diff bushings)

I deal with more S550 customers than most people in this industry. I try to share as much as possible.

I have 100% had customers have NVH issues with the axle nuts being loose.

I have 100% had customers who were able to resolve vibrations with 1 pc AND stock Driveshafts by shimming either the trans, the IRS Cradle, or both.

I have 100% had customers who have resolved vibration issues with differential modifications from BMR and other companies.

I have SEEN, but not experienced or been given feedback - people claim to have minimized vibrations by using BMR cradle lockouts/bushings or Steeda IRS solutions. But I would like to point out, I have NOT seen this personally with my cars, BMR cars, or cars I work on - So I would never recommend that to anyone at the present time.

The unfortunate part of this issue is, there are just so many damn parts involved. Right here in this thread you will see so many parts mentioned and methods to possible resolve it. It IS likely that most of them ARE and CAN BE issues that help people - but not every car nor is every persons tolerance for NVH the same. Most importantly the "V". Food for thought, a friend of mine complained about vibrations in his car for months. Myself and another friend both drove and rode in the car at all speeds - and it was the smoothest S550 I have driven. :O
Thanks Kelly , I just got out of the hospital and need some more time to heal , but I would like to get with you one day and have you take my car for a ride and tell me what you think .. No way can I take it to the dealer with the mods I have , they would kick me to the curb real quick !! lol ... I would say my vibration is on the bad side seeing I can't see out of the rear view at all at 65 MPH ..:eyebulge:

smokinzx14r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
Smokinzx:

Have you ever measured your pinion angles with your stock ds? The shimming of my x-member fixed the minor vibes. I have a dynotech Aluminum ds. If you find your pinion angles are off, what about shiming the carrier bearing on the stock ds to improve your angles! Its just a suggestion, I dont know if it will work. It all comes down to the measurements you come up with!
No I have not check them yet , I just spent the last 4 weeks in and out of the hospital .. Once I feel better I will ... :thumbsup:

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Here's the scans I promised to include from my Dealer Service Center work orders from my last visit on 04/24 and the diagnosis.
Will be interesting if the new differential fixes the vibration ... keep us posted!

Mustg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
My vibrations were reduced when they replaced the diff, but now its starting to increase some 8,000 miles later.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
[/B]The unfortunate part of this issue is, there are just so many damn parts involved. Right here in this thread you will see so many parts mentioned and methods to possible resolve it. It IS likely that most of them ARE and CAN BE issues that help people - but not every car nor is every persons tolerance for NVH the same. Most importantly the "V". Food for thought, a friend of mine complained about vibrations in his car for months. Myself and another friend both drove and rode in the car at all speeds - and it was the smoothest S550 I have driven. :O

I think you have the answer right here. There are so many parts that can contribute to the issue . I think what we have here is "tolerance stacking" even if, all parts are "in spec", As more parts are added with slight deviation eventually you get a driveline that is "out" of spec (vibrates) . So there is no one issue , but a combination of factors , and depending on the variance of parts, the solution will be different .

Also true are people's NHV tolerance . When I test drove my car I very much looked for vibration , and never noticed it . After having the car for 1-2K miles I could tell . Its only at ~49-53 MPH and 65-68MPH , and its 95% just noise . Nobody else seems to be able to tell . I had the driveshaft replaced , and still have the issue . I had the MTS4000 hooked up , and "in spec" . Really if it wasn't for this thread, I would of never noticed .

Sometimes these forums are a blessing AND a curse :shrug:

Kelly , thanks for your insights .

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
My vibrations were reduced when they replaced the diff, but now its starting to increase some 8,000 miles later.
And there are a wide range of differentials for the Mustang.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Will be interesting if the new differential fixes the vibration ... keep us posted!
Yep. Car dropped off today 05/15 for the rear diff R&R.

Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
I really liked the post on here about the rubber giubo at the back of the transmission where some of the mating flange bolts were found to be bent. I think wear on that part could very well be the culprit in why the vibrations show up after some use.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Odd thing I noticed yesterday . After the weather here being cool 40s-60s , we had a shoot up to 92+ degrees . Tire pressure went up slightly from 31/32 , to 34psi . The noise was hardly noticeable at all.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
*****i have a correction to a torque spec i posted with the crossmember bolts when using shims i stated it was 46lbs when in fact its 85lbs**** sorry for the miscommunication!!!!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
*****i have a correction to a torque spec i posted with the crossmember bolts when using shims i stated it was 46lbs when in fact its 85lbs**** sorry for the miscommunication!!!!
Not sure where you posted the wrong numbers but you can edit the original post to fix it which would ensure no future confusion (or cross-members falling off - LoL)

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure where you posted the wrong numbers but you can edit the original post to fix it which would ensure no future confusion (or cross-members falling off - LoL)
Done!!!!!
Sponsored