Vibration between 50 & 70 mph

Discussion in 'Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls' started by icarumba, Jan 21, 2015.

?

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

1. No

54.1%
  2. Yes - V8/MT

20.2%
  3. Yes - V8/AT

12.3%
  4. Yes - V6/MT

1.2%
  5. Yes - V6/AT

3.5%
  6. Yes - EB/MT

2.4%
  7. Yes - EB/AT

6.3%
  1. barrykaye1001

barrykaye1001 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Barry
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
    0   0   0
    Try Shimmy Diagnoser. It's an app that will measure the vibration's frequency and amplitude. Based on that, it can tell if the vib is engine, trans, d/s or tire related. It costs around 20 bucks. For me - money well spent.

Scott Wilson likes this.
  2. CNCLester

CNCLester Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lester
    Vehicle(s):
    18 GT performance pack. Lighting blue
    0   0   0
    As some of you who follow this thread know, I traded my 17 gt for an 18 because of this issue. While I had the new car on the lift to ceramic the back side of my rims I checked out the differences in the driveshaft and cradle assembly.
    The driveshaft looks similar and is probably the revised one some of you have mentioned. The pinion flange is now painted and is slightly different from the one on the 17.
    The main difference I found is a palm size cast iron or steel weight hanging on the right rear differential bolt. The bolt is appears to be an inch or so longer to accommodate the dampener weight. It hangs very loosely on it's soft rubber bushing. I also noticed the driveshaft center support is a stiffer material than the 18.
    Having seen this, if I still had a 15 / 17 car in the family I'd get the right rear differential bolt and that dampener if it's available. I m going to try to post a pic.
    Lester

ABS550 and lugz like this.
  3. CNCLester

First Name:
    Lester
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Sorry, can't get pic to load.
    Says file to large. I don't know how to manually change it.

4. Scott Wilson

Scott Wilson s550 is life

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Just scale down the size in Microsoft paint

5. CNCLester

First Name:
    Lester
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
  6. smokinzx14r

smokinzx14r Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT A6 3.55 Gears ..
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Humm .. I know the 2015 to 2017 Eco boost have a weight on them... I wonder if it is the same weight as they use ?

7. CNCLester

First Name:
    Lester
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    To clarify, the center support material is stiffer on the 18.

smokinzx14r likes this.
  8. Scott Wilson

Scott Wilson s550 is life

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Yesterday I put my car up on stands and had my wife drive it till we felt the vibration. It didn't look like it was my driveshaft at all. It looked smooth and so did my halfshafts. So I'm curious if I might just have a bad spark plug causing my vibration. I know when we supercharged my buddies 14 that he had bad plugs a d we couldn't find it in the log we sent to Lund. The car would feel like it was driving under water under load and that's kind of how my car feels. I'm gonna change the plugs and see what happens.

9. shahram72

shahram72 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Shahram
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
    0   0   0
    I've been gone for a while. Been enjoying my 10 year old Mercedes with IRS and no vibration. Still have my Mustang. Are there ANY reports of vibration on the 2018? Of course I really don't want to spend the money on a 4 cyl and the GT is even way more expensive now and I don't think I'll play Russian Roulette with Ford again.

10. Winchester 1866

Winchester 1866 New Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 gt convertible
    0   0   0
    My vibration is about 90% better,. My dealer tried to balance tires 4 times. The last time he sent to independent who load forced balanced than or so they said.
    Due to a minor mishap I had to replace 2 rims. The body shop sent all 4 tires with rims to be load forced balanced. lo and behold. Tires would not balance they went oblong when spun up. Results 4 new Michelin pilot sports 1k . Different car. Still a little vibration but at least I can use rear view mirror. Ford MUST know the Stock Perelli tires are terrible and a safety problem . So why did Waldorf ford fail after 4 attempts. I believe the other shop also told dealer couldn’t be balanced and dealer said do what you can ,I don’t care Needless to say I’m done with Ford and ESPECIALLY WALDORF FORD IN Md.

11. CEHollier

CEHollier Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Charles
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT Premium Magnetic
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    My U joint had excessive slack and was replaced. Around the same time got new rims and tires. Vibration is 100% gone.

12. Losobaby

Losobaby Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Gt w/PP
    0   0   0
    All MD ford dealership are TERRIBLE, don't get me started on my rant lol

13. socketman

socketman Active Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT / PP
    0   0   0
    Hey all new to the forum and new to my 2016 mustang gt which sadly has the dreaded driveline vibration. I flew to a dealership and bought the car, didnt notice the vibe on a TD ,horrible roads in Alberta , Canada. While cruising about 70mph there is no vibe WSE and we jumped on the hwy right away so i didnt clue in but as my trip progressed i became more aware of it. Long story short here i am trying to find the solution but it looks like some hard work is in the forecast. Our local dealer is pretty crappy so i will be going it alone along with Tricore extended warranty. I will be trying some basic steps to start with and keep following this thread to see if anyone tries the balance master with any success. To my butt this feels like a phase or pinion angle issue so this is where i will be starting. Its not objectionable enough to want to sell the car but the vibes will cause other issues if its not dealt with . Other than that i love the car so now my journey begins.

14. CEHollier

CEHollier Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Charles
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT Premium Magnetic
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    FWIW my u joint had a lot of slack. I also had significant driveline vibration. To the point when I looked in my rear mirror it was a blur. Changed the drive shaft and the vibration ceased.

15. socketman

socketman Active Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT / PP
    0   0   0
    I just got the car home 2 days ago so hopefully this weekend get it on the hoist and have a look and try a few simple things and see what i can see. I may take it to the stealership if i cant resolve it or i find something that warranty will cover. I do have a friend that works there in parts and we deal with them regularly so that may make this a little smoother. Thanks for the update , it gives me hope. Also i suspect there are many who forgo the internet and have gone to the dealer and successfully had their cars repaired so it is possible that the poll is skewed somewhat.

CEHollier likes this.
  16. barrykaye1001

barrykaye1001 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Barry
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
    0   0   0
    NHTSA ID: 10091423
    TSB ID: SSM 45938

SSM 45938 - 2015-2017 Mustang Driveline Vibration At Highway Speeds
    Some 2015-2017 Mustang vehicles may experience a driveline vibration directly related to a vehicle speed of 70-100Kmh (50-70Mph) and is perceived as a tremor in the floor pan, seat track, or steering wheel and may be heard as a rumble, hum, or boom. Before replacement of any parts be sure to verify the concern with a road test and visually inspect the driveshaft for damage, undercoating, incorrectly seated universal joints, rotate the driveshaft by hand to feel for any binding or end play in the universal joints. If no concern is found check and correctany tire balance issues using Loaded Hunter Road Force® Method. If a concern isstill present balance the driveshaft using the Mastertech® Series MTS 4000 Driveline Balance and NVH Analyzer. Refer to Workshop Manual Sections 100-04,200-04Aand 205-01. Use labor operation 1007D and any appropriate combinations.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
    2015 - 2017 CAR: ZG MUSTANG (S550)

I'm not a mechanic but here's what it took for the dealer to fix mine:

Step 1 - Check for out of round tires. If tires ok, proceed to step 2.
    Step 2 - Road force balance the wheels. Index tires to rims if necessary. Road test. If vibration still present proceed to step 3.
    Step 3 - Check for excessive play in driveshaft center support bearing and differential flange bearing. Repair if necessary. Road test. If vibration still present, proceed to step 4.
    Step 4 - Index the driveshaft 180 degrees. Road test. If vibration still present, proceed to step 5.
    Step 5 - Remove driveshaft and bring to a driveline shop for balancing. If driveline shop doesn't have the fittings to mount on their balancer, proceed to step 6.
    Step 6 - Balance the driveshaft on the car using hose clamp method. Road test. If vibration still present, proceed to step 7.
    Step 7 - Replace driveshaft with new redesigned part.

Or you could skip from step 3 directly to step 7. Also, somewhere in there you might want to neutralize the transmission, d/s center support bearing and rear axle assembly to correct for any driveline geometry issues.

This work was all done at the dealer (Mullinax Ford, West Palm Beach, FL). Not to scare you but it took me 6 months of back and forth to get it fixed or at least fixed to the point where it's tolerable. There's still a vibration between 80 - 85 mph but I can live with that.

Good luck!

17. GTP

GTP Deutsche Pony

First Name:
    Philip
    Vehicle(s):
    all paid-for
    Rating:
    92.3%
    12   1   0
    I reached out to Benny at Levittown Ford, and, together with your photo, his research identified the damper and bolt. Seems cheap enough for someone to try this as an experiment on their 15-17. Damper&Bolt.png

barrykaye1001 likes this.
  18. hlh1

hlh1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT California Special.
    Electrical Engineer
    0   0   0
    I notice on Amazon that they have the BR3Z-4A263-B damper and bolt included. I wonder how much different this part is compared to the JR3Z? Where is this installed on the differential? I'll give this a try.

barrykaye1001 likes this.
  19. GTP

GTP Deutsche Pony

First Name:
    Philip
    Vehicle(s):
    all paid-for
    Rating:
    92.3%
    12   1   0
    See the photos in post# 3446. It is the right rear bolt that is longer to accommodate the damper.

In case I missed it, please post the Amazon link to which you referred.

20. hlh1

hlh1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT California Special.
    Electrical Engineer
    0   0   0
    #3460 hlh1, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018