Rear end vibration

Stymie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Hey everyone. New to the forum and would appreciate any and all info.

I picked up my '16 GT Premium on April 28th and after the 1st 300 miles, I noticed a vibration in the rear end that you feel in the seat with a drone sound between 55 and 65 mph. I took it the dealer, tech drove it, confirmed the vibration, put the vibration analyzer on it and it didn't pick anything up. The tech called Ford and they told him to replace the rear end bearings.
After replacing the bearings, the vibration is worse. It can be felt from 40ish on up through 70.

Anyone else have this issue and what was done to correct it?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...

I picked up my '16 GT Premium on April 28th and after the 1st 300 miles, I noticed a vibration in the rear end that you feel in the seat with a drone sound between 55 and 65 mph. I took it the dealer, tech drove it, confirmed the vibration, put the vibration analyzer on it and it didn't pick anything up. The tech called Ford and they told him to replace the rear end bearings.
After replacing the bearings, the vibration is worse. It can be felt from 40ish on up through 70.

Thanks in advance.
Sadly, you aren't alone: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15990

OP
OP

Stymie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I'm surprised Ford hasn't made a recall about this.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
The analyzer is capable of picking up vibrations that are imperceptible to humans. If the vibration analyzer didn't pick it up, then the car is operating as designed.

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.

Thanks in advance.
They had to replace the complete rear end to fix mine.

Sponsored

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
They've tried 5 times to fix mine, haven't seen the car now for 38 days !!
Filed for FL Lemon Law buyback 6/27.

Hope you have better luck with yours !

SWETRID

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 California Special
They had to replace the complete rear end to fix mine.
From what I have seen on the Ford internal message boards either the driveshaft or complete rear end replacement are the only items that fixes the vibration.

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
From what I have seen on the Ford internal message boards either the driveshaft or complete rear end replacement are the only items that fixes the vibration.
Mine is on it's 3rd drive shaft, they keep 'looking' at the rear end, but seem to be sitting on their hands when it comes to actually replacing any parts.

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Mine is on it's 3rd drive shaft, they keep 'looking' at the rear end, but seem to be sitting on their hands when it comes to actually replacing any parts.
MikeD1 - do you have a video or anything of this sound? I have the same issue now it seems and am looking for resolution. Ford's said its my exhaust which when dropped the sound is still present.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
MikeD1 - do you have a video or anything of this sound? I have the same issue now it seems and am looking for resolution. Ford's said its my exhaust which when dropped the sound is still present.
The exhaust?? What do they mean by it's possibly your exhaust? Do they mean the exhaust is the source of or causing the vibes?

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
No, I don't have any video with the sound. I think it would have been hard to capture. It's a weird noise, best I can describe is it's like a whirring propeller & you can feel the vibration in the door, dash & trans hump.

3rd drive shaft eliminated the prop noise & much of the vibration. Now mostly vibrates thru the steering wheel - like an out of balance wheel/tire (which have been checked multiple times).
Sponsored