Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
Does anyone know the tsb number on this as I have the same issue. Very mild right now but it's definitely there.
Thanks
Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
Thanks
I will look into this and get the ball rolling. I hope its not as bad as what some others have went through

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Done!!!!!
This is weird. I needed to remove the cross member bolts for my M6 and remembered your post. I don't have a service manual so double checked the maximum torque rating for my bolts which are marked 8.8 and take an 18mm socket. Based on this chart (http://electronicfilters.tpub.com/TM-10-4330-237-13P/css/TM-10-4330-237-13P_105.htm), the maximum torque for that bolt (M12, 18mm head) is 63 lb.ft.

I know you have an automatic and the bolts could be different but you posted 85 lb.ft which just happens to be the maximum torque in Nm for my bolts. You might want to check and make sure you weren't posting the Nm value and calling it ft.lbs.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I got the specs from the sticky posted on this site:

All the torque values you will ever use!

Front Suspension:
BMR Camber Bolt (18mm / 21mm): 125 ft/lbs.
Factory Upper/Lower Strut to Knuckle Bolt (21mm / 24mm): 184 ft/lbs.
Upper Strut Mount Nuts x 3 (15mm deep): 46 ft/lbs.
Strut End Bolt (Do not remove without compressing the spring) (21mm): 76 ft/lbs.
Brake Caliper Bolts (15mm): 85 ft/lbs.
Sway Bar End Links (18mm / 17mm): 85 ft/lbs.
BMR Sway Bar End Links (19mm / 14mm): 85 ft/lbs.
Front Sway Bar Mounts (18mm):
BMR Sway bar Mounts (10mm allen):
Front Lower Control Arm (24mm): 184ft/lbs
Front Lower Control Arm Nut to Spindle: 85 ft/lbs.
Rear Lower Arm to Frame: 184 ft/lbs.
Rear Lower Arm Outboard Nut to Spindle: 85 ft/lbs.
Cowl Extension (Upper K brace): 26 ft/lbs.
Strut Tower Cross Brace (15mm deep): 41 ft/lbs.
BMR Front Subframe Chassis Brace Rear Bolts (1"): 100 ft/lbs.
Inner Radius Arm Bolt (24mm):
Tie Rod to Spindle (18mm):
Steeda Extreme G-Trac Brace Front (10mm allen): 60 ft/lbs.
Steeda Extreme G-Trac Brace Rear (22mm): 60 ft/lbs.
Front spindle/hub nut: 251 ft/lbs.

Body/General
Oil Drain Plug: 19 ft/lbs EB+V6: 20 ft/lbs.
BMR Jacking Rails (15mm): 63 ft/lbs.
Lug Nuts: 148 ft/lbs.
Front Exhaust Clamp: 35 ft/lbs.
Exhaust Hangers: 18 ft/lbs.
Windshield Wiper Pivot Arm Nuts: 26 ft/lbs.
Negative Battery Cable: 44 in/lbs.
Transmission Cross Member (18mm): 85 ft/lbs.
BMR Driveshaft Loop (3/8"): 40 ft/lbs.
Front Belly Pan (7mm):
Differential Drain and Fill Plugs: 25 ft/lbs.
Water Pump Pully: 18 ft/lbs. EB: 177 in/lbs. V6: 18 ft/lbs.

Rear Suspension
Front Inner lower control arm bolts (24mm): 166 ft/lbs.
Rear Inner lower control arm bolts (24mm): 184 ft/lbs.
Outer control arm bolt (21mm): 203 ft/lbs.
Shock to Upper Shock Mount Nut: 22 ft/lbs.
Upper Shock Bolts: 66 ft/lbs.
Lower Shock bolts (15mm): 35 ft/lbs.
Main Cradle Bolts (21mm): 129 ft/lbs.
Front Cradle Bracket Bolts (13mm): 41 ft/lbs.
Rear Sway Bar Mount (13mm): 24 ft/lbs.
BMR Rear Sway Bar Mounts (13mm): 24 ft/lbs.
BMR Rear Sway Bar Thrust Washers (3/16" allen):
Sway Bar End Links (15mm / 18mm / 6mm allen): 85 ft/lbs.
Stabilizer Bar Bracket Bolts: 52 ft/lbs.
BMR Sway Bar End Links (19mm / 14mm): 85 ft/lbs.
BMR Sway Bar End Links Jam Nuts (19mm):
Rear Swaybar Endlink Brake Hose Mount (10mm):
Vertical Link Upper Bolt (15mm): 76 ft/lbs.
BMR Vertical Link Upper Bolt (19mm): 81 ft/lbs.
Vertical Link Lower Bolt (18mm): 129 ft/lbs.
Toe Rod Inner Bolt (18mm / 21mm): 129 ft/lbs.
Toe Rod Outer Bolt (18mm): 129 ft/lbs.
BMR Toe Rod Inner Bolt (22mm x 2): 129 ft/lbs.
BMR Toe Rod Outer Bolt (22mm): 129 ft/lbs.
Camber Arm to Knuckle: 76 ft/lbs.
Camber Arm to Subframe: 85 ft/lbs.
Rear Brake Caliper Bolts: 24 ft/lbs.

Bump Stops

Bump stop trim dimensions for lowered cars pictured below. FRPP Bump stops are identical (same durometer as well) to the factory ones other than cut down. Save money and either cut your originals or order factory replacements to cut.

Alignment

Factory Spec
Front - Camber: -1.03 Total Toe: 0.00
Rear - Camber: -1.50 Total Toe: 0.23

Ford Performance Spec
Front - Camber: -1.55 Total Toe: 0.00
Rear - Camber: -1.98 Total Toe: 0.23

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So here's the update:

The new rear diff was received directly from Ford and installed 1.5 weeks ago, so far so good. I only feel normal NVH characteristics due to changes in road surfaces and the common 2.3 engine "buzziness" (when it's lugging at lower RPMs).

Also to note:
The previous SSM that was applied months ago (hose clamps to driveshaft balance) has been reversed off of my vehicle after the new diff was installed.

I do not feel the definitive, abrasive and harsh driveline vibes throughout the vehicle as noted previously in all of my prior posts to this issue. Definitely do not feel it in the seatback anymore. Even at lower speeds, the ride is really smooth - whereas previously, the ride always felt like I was driving on an ungraded road surface. The car actually feels more solid, hard to explain, but prior to the new rear diff, the car felt loose and clunky with the old rear diff.

Summary:
1) Driveline vibe heavily documented at only 1,900 miles into my "New Car Ownership".
2) Ford CSR Rep involved for many months.
3) Ford Engineering Team involved on multiple occasions who gave directives to Service Center.
4) Local Ford Engineer brought to Service Center on a few occasions for guidance/diagnosis.
5) Vibe Analyzer tool used multiple times for diagnosis.
6) Multiple warranty diagnosis and replacement of various driveline components performed from Jan 2016 up through May 2017.
7) At 23k miles the PP 3.55 rear diff has been replaced with a brand new PP 3.55 rear diff.

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Meant to provide my update sooner, however also like Cobra Jet I had my rear diff replaced with a new one from the factory at 1000 miles, and I would say that the vibration is 98% corrected. I think I am still feeling some kind of vibration at 65-75 mph, however it is so insignificant I still cannot make up my mind if it is drivetrain related or just how the car is supposed to feel. Overall, I am happy and think I can close my concern on this issue for now and finally start enjoying the car.

markw24

markw24
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Meant to provide my update sooner, however also like Cobra Jet I had my rear diff replaced with a new one from the factory at 1000 miles, and I would say that the vibration is 98% corrected. I think I am still feeling some kind of vibration at 65-75 mph, however it is so insignificant I still cannot make up my mind if it is drivetrain related or just how the car is supposed to feel. Overall, I am happy and think I can close my concern on this issue for now and finally start enjoying the car.
Rule that out by dropping tire pressure to 28 front and 25 rear. This should tell you if gtp drive line or the road.

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Rule that out by dropping tire pressure to 28 front and 25 rear. This should tell you if gtp drive line or the road.
Thanks - I'll give that a shot

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
So here's the update:

The new rear diff was received directly from Ford and installed 1.5 weeks ago, so far so good. I only feel normal NVH characteristics due to changes in road surfaces and the common 2.3 engine "buzziness" (when it's lugging at lower RPMs).

Also to note:
The previous SSM that was applied months ago (hose clamps to driveshaft balance) has been reversed off of my vehicle after the new diff was installed.

I do not feel the definitive, abrasive and harsh driveline vibes throughout the vehicle as noted previously in all of my prior posts to this issue. Definitely do not feel it in the seatback anymore. Even at lower speeds, the ride is really smooth - whereas previously, the ride always felt like I was driving on an ungraded road surface. The car actually feels more solid, hard to explain, but prior to the new rear diff, the car felt loose and clunky with the old rear diff.

Summary:
1) Driveline vibe heavily documented at only 1,900 miles into my "New Car Ownership".
3) Ford Engineering Team involved on multiple occasions who gave directives to Service Center.
4) Local Ford Engineer brought to Service Center on a few occasions for guidance/diagnosis.
6) Multiple warranty diagnosis and replacement of various driveline components performed from Jan 2016 up through May 2017.
7) At 23k miles the PP 3.55 rear diff has been replaced with a brand new PP 3.55 rear diff.

Did this help with the bad clunking when going into gear from a stop? Mine is worse than ever and I notice a vibration/drone in the car from 50+ mph and its at its worse at 60-65. It goes in on June 1st, I hope they take this seriously as the drone at 60 is aggravating

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The trans cross-member has slotted holes for the bolts that go into the body. I wonder if that could be one of a combination of factors? Maybe introducing a side angle.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The trans cross-member has slotted holes for the bolts that go into the body. I wonder if that could be one of a combination of factors? Maybe introducing a side angle.
Are you relating this to shiming or just side to side movement without doing shims!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Are you relating this to shiming or just side to side movement without doing shims!
Without shims. But I guess it could be with or without. I mean if the angle up and down matters, wouldn't the angle side to side matter too? Maybe the slots don't allow enough movement to matter.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When i did my shims i did 1 bolt at a time thus leaving factory setting in tact! it didn't move! Also the trans mount bolts keeps things in place!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So here's the update:

Also to note:

Summary:
Glad to hear a new differential fixed the vibe issue.

Did the dealer tear open the original differential to inspect for damage/wear?
Sponsored