Uh Oh. Here comes the EV Challenger

N2O2HE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
It’s on the way for certain. Question is, does it happen at S650 launch or three years later as mid model refresh. Also, is it hybrid only, or do we see a mixture of models to include an all EV option.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
And I've been waiting for a Challenger 392 hemi all wheel drive "GT" since they have the tech

SpeedRacerXT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
An EV Mustang needs to happen, I just hope Ford doesn't screw the pooch on this and let everyone else beat them to the punch. It's already a proven fact that EVs produce power that blows away ICE vehicles.

Sponsored

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
An EV Mustang needs to happen, I just hope Ford doesn't screw the pooch on this and let everyone else beat them to the punch. It's already a proven fact that EVs produce power that blows away ICE vehicles.
At the cost of weighing as much as an F150 and only being able to drive a few hours at a time.

If they can lighten them and give them unlimited range or figure out a way to make them recharge in a matter of minutes, ill buy one for sure, if they give me a 100,000 mile battery range guarantee with no loss of range during the first 100,000 miles.

SpeedRacerXT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
At the cost of weighing as much as an F150 and only being able to drive a few hours at a time.

If they can lighten them and give them unlimited range or figure out a way to make them recharge in a matter of minutes, ill buy one for sure, if they give me a 100,000 mile battery range guarantee with no loss of range during the first 100,000 miles.
EVs are getting better all the time, and the battery tech is improving as well. Give it time and they'll have lighter batteries with fast recharge times. When the Big 3 and the rest of the international manufacturers are putting tons into this technology, it will only get better. The only thing that could screw us over is if Trump insists on coal burners.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
EV has been around as long as ICE. Battery physics can only go so far. I don't see a battery recharge for a 300 mile range in a pickup truck in 2 minutes happening in anyone posting in this forums lifetime. And coal is great for power plants of the stationary kind, cheap, plentiful, energy density rich, and the burning of which creates wonderful yummy plant food.
EVs are getting better all the time, and the battery tech is improving as well. Give it time and they'll have lighter batteries with fast recharge times. When the Big 3 and the rest of the international manufacturers are putting tons into this technology, it will only get better. The only thing that could screw us over is if Trump insists on coal burners.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
EV has been around as long as ICE. Battery physics can only go so far. I don't see a battery recharge for a 300 mile range in a pickup truck in 2 minutes happening in anyone posting in this forums lifetime. And coal is great for power plants of the stationary kind, cheap, plentiful, energy density rich, and the burning of which creates wonderful yummy plant food.
We were talking about this the other day at work. What about a recharging station where you can either park and charge, or pull into a garahe and swap batteries, kind of like a propane tank refill. You pull in, have a tech swap tje batteries, and get back in the road.

There would be many challenges. Standards would have to be established for battery type, connection type, an so forth, but an option.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You come off as a religious zealot. I get it, you really love EVs.

I worship at the altar of the ICE, though. Even if an EV could be made that could compete with an ICE I wouldn't want it.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
We were talking about this the other day at work. What about a recharging station where you can either park and charge, or pull into a garahe and swap batteries, kind of like a propane tank refill. You pull in, have a tech swap tje batteries, and get back in the road.

There would be many challenges. Standards would have to be established for battery type, connection type, an so forth, but an option.
Tesla has tossed this idea around of swapping batteries. I think the problem with swapping batteries with other people is you don't know what you're getting, a battery that's been used for 5k miles or 50k miles.

The Challenger won't go full EV for a while. Most likely this will start off as just the eTorque tech that's in the new RAM which is a 48 volt mild hybrid system for extended stop/start. Maybe a plug-in hybrid version at most. Most affordable car companies won't have their first EV vehicle (mostly crossovers) on sale till 2022 or so. The muscle cars won't feel "ancient" without this tech until at least 2025, probably even later. By that point, most car companies will maybe be a 50% split EV and gas, probably even less. The most depressing thing in the Challenger interview in this article (https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/21/dodge-challenger-to-be-electrified/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000015) is that the Hellcat setup won't live on "What it isn't going to be is a V8 supercharged, 700 hp engine". I assumed this was the golden era but I had hoped that maybe they would have kept it around for the next gen, even if it was limited production or something. Get these crazy muscle cars while you can, their days are clearly numbered.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The Challenger version is more realistic and they have developed the V6 options except a supercharger. Generally putting the electric motor on the front is like a 200 horsepower gain and four wheel drive. So that sort of switches the Hellcat.

A Challenger EV could be faster for the strip as a full EV but with limited range. So that may be the ultimate Demon replacement.

Ford killed the V6 for the Mustang so a hybrid I4 is it unless they bring back the V6 to compete. They could bring back the six like the Phoenix to compete so who knows as the motor is stout enough for forced induction (Ecoboost) and hybrid. Again the full EV for ultimate speed with limited range.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
EV has the instant torque, ICE has the power and range. EcoBoost has all the power we need for cruising, add another 200 hp of EV to the front wheels or the driveline. The EV only needs a small battery, after 15 seconds of full ICE/EV power we're going to go directly to jail anyway.
My idea of the best of both worlds is enough EV to go maybe 15 miles, enough for 90% of trips, combined with a small ICE for range. That way it shouldn't cost much more or weigh much more than just ICE.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
No, OP, it's NOT an EV Challenger. The article is suggesting a hybrid Challenger in the future. Big difference.

And the article is completely and utterly wrong on the very point that makes the article have any relevance at all; "The noose of governmental emissions regulations is tightening..". No, it's not. It's actually been relaxed recently by Trump. The mandate for 50 MPG fleet averages has been shelved.

The article is shit. It's nothing but bad theory and conjecture based on incorrect information. It's an article that was written, because a "journalist" had to write and article. Nothing more.

Give me 30 minutes and I could write a better article, that's based on actual known facts.
Sponsored

Last edited: