Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
What some think is a good idea, and what will actually sell, can be two different things.
If all the muscle car makers switch at the same time it could work. Going hybrid only with others still pushing V8s won’t...
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If all the muscle car makers switch at the same time it could work. Going hybrid only with others still pushing V8s won’t...
Well, thank God for Capitalism, and companies building what people want.

Deleted member 35786

I always question the pollution factor. How the hell do you recycle or dispose of all those batteries?? And the amount of rare earth metals that will need to be mined to build them (lithium etc..).. The air might be cleaner but the ground and land use to mine this stuff will be worse off as the population and demand grows.

https://www.thebalance.com/lithium-production-2340123

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I always question the pollution factor. How the hell do you recycle or dispose of all those batteries?? And the amount of rare earth metals that will need to be mined to build them (lithium etc..).. The air might be cleaner but the ground and land use to mine this stuff will be worse off as the population and demand grows.

https://www.thebalance.com/lithium-production-2340123
Yep, those batteries are an ecological nightmare.

Plus, the US doesn't have the power production and distribution capabilities for mass EVs. It's all a farce.

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
There are 3 levels of coal plants and all have to have proper emission scrubbers to clear co2 and nox particulates. Not saying this is a good thing but the power plants themselves have the capacity especially if most charging is done in the evening or overnight.

Grid audits show there is a greater issue with local municipalities and their ability to handle the increased demand on the local transformers.

Sponsored

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yep, those batteries are an ecological nightmare.

Plus, the US doesn't have the power production and distribution capabilities for mass EVs. It's all a farce.
Lithium isn't rare. However the environmental impact of mining and purifying it is a different story. Most EV nuts don't look at the back end energy requirements and pollution.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Hopefully some of you guys do switch over to EVs. That way, I can have more gas for my V8.

Not interested in an EV now, probably will never be interested. Sound is a big part of the driving experience for me. If I truly wanted to go faster, I'd ride in an airplane. 540 mph is plenty.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
There are 3 levels of coal plants and all have to have proper emission scrubbers to clear co2 and nox particulates. Not saying this is a good thing but the power plants themselves have the capacity especially if most charging is done in the evening or overnight.

Grid audits show there is a greater issue with local municipalities and their ability to handle the increased demand on the local transformers.
The US is an electrical power importer, we can't even meet our own demand at the current levels. And our power grid is at the edge of failure, maxed out.

It's not even close.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
The US is an electrical power importer, we can't even meet our own demand at the current levels. And our power grid is at the edge of failure, maxed out.

It's not even close.
You are failing to take into account increased usage of local solar power generation and storage for one.... Number 2 is that it will take a LONG time before EVs are out in enough numbers to cause a significant increase in grid strain.

Battery tech and charging tech is advancing with solid state batteries being just on the horizon. Porsche has a 450kw charger that can add 250 miles in 15 min or 62 miles in just 3 min with conventional batteries while solid state storage can charge from 0 to 100% in a matter of minutes while providing significantly increased range. There is also data to prove that Tesla Model S batteries can retain 95%+ of their rated capacity at 200k+ miles...

People need to start facing the reality that EVs are the future and to stop resisting them (as with practically every new tech...). EVs have the potential to drastically increase power and performance as well as handling (weight might be higher than ICE but CG is more configurable meaning better handling characteristics). You would also have the potential to have a much more simplistic vehicle architecture with hundreds of parts instead of thousands...

Yes, you lose the sound that we all know and love, but if I gain far more performance and handling for the loss, I would say it was worth it.

PS: While the Trump administration might have relaxed emmision regulations and the 50 MPG+ fleet requirement, 1) Auto makers would already have plans in place to meet this goal and will likely continue on that path, 2) It is easy to forget that auto makers also have to complete in a world market and have to comply with regulations from ALL of their local markets. So while Trump might not be concerned about emmisions, the rest of the world is and as such auto makers will likely continue efforts to reduce emmisions with new vehicles.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You are failing to take into account increased usage of local solar power generation and storage for one.... Number 2 is that it will take a LONG time before EVs are out in enough numbers to cause a significant increase in grid strain.

Battery tech and charging tech is advancing with solid state batteries being just on the horizon. Porsche has a 450kw charger that can add 250 miles in 15 min or 62 miles in just 3 min with conventional batteries while solid state storage can charge from 0 to 100% in a matter of minutes while providing significantly increased range. There is also data to prove that Tesla Model S batteries can retain 95%+ of their rated capacity at 200k+ miles...

People need to start facing the reality that EVs are the future and to stop resisting them (as with practically every new tech...). EVs have the potential to drastically increase power and performance as well as handling (weight might be higher than ICE but CG is more configurable meaning better handling characteristics). You would also have the potential to have a much more simplistic vehicle architecture with hundreds of parts instead of thousands...

Yes, you lose the sound that we all know and love, but if I gain far more performance and handling for the loss, I would say it was worth it.
You're living in a dream world. Any additional power demand is beyond our capability. Our grid and power creation is maxed, there is no other point worth discussing.

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT

It's not even close.
Where are you hearing this from?

Here's a report from 2006 analyzing 2018 demand on the existing power grid on the east side of the country.

https://info.ornl.gov/sites/publications/Files/Pub3198.pdf

I'm not sure which is worse, people like you who doomsday any change or people on the opposite side that doomsday if we don't change everything right now.

Commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
You're living in a dream world. Any additional power demand is beyond our capability. Our grid and power creation is maxed, there is no other point worth discussing.
ok, dude. can you just shut up. you're being very ignorant.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I think someone is just stuck in their ways and unwilling to accept change and actual facts instead of emotionally based opinions....
Sponsored