Here it comes!!

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
...I note you do not list an EV as being something you own. You are another EV champion who has enough sense to not own one.
Yet, you do not list an EV as being something you own. You are another EV denier who hasn't owned one.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Yet, you do not list an EV as being something you own. You are another EV denier who hasn't owned one.
Hello; Really? That what you come back with. But true, I am not a champion of the EV concept. May never have one if current conditions continue to exist. I find serious faults with the EV's and the support system they rely upon.
You do get something correct. I do not support the mandated push for EV's and have not owned one.
I write paragraphs explaining my point of view. You should feel free to counter my comments and point out ways I am mistaken if I make faulty arguments.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Canadian Tesla owner says automaker locked him out of his car until he pays $26,000 for new battery (msn.com)
Hello; I do not know what to make of parts of this story. I get the cost of a replacement battery. We already knew of that. Also, we get an answer of what a ten year old EV can be like to sell.

I do not understand why the owner is locked out of his own car. I am guessing the lock out was done remotely by Tesla??? How come an owner is locked out of the car and cannot retrieve stuff such as paper work? Can they remotely lock a child or dog in the EV or maybe your house keys?

I also do not get the hunger strike bit near the end of the story.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The title is misleading - as they usually are.
If I read the article correctly, nothing was done remotely. The battery just happened to die while the car was locked, and the car cannot be unlocked unless it has power. There may be no mechanical backup key. So now the owner can't get in, and Tesla won't help unless he buys a new battery.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The title is misleading - as they usually are.
If I read the article correctly, nothing was done remotely. The battery just happened to die while the car was locked, and the car cannot be unlocked unless it has power. There may be no mechanical backup key. So now the owner can't get in, and Tesla won't help unless he buys a new battery.
Hello; Your take makes sense. Brings up another question, that being why no mechanical key and lock? I get those who love electronic tech want to do away with analogue stuff.
Another question pops into my head. Seems the car could be plugged into a charger and then perhaps be able to open the doors???
Another question. If you buy a used EV do you get the charging system along with it??

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Another question. If you buy a used EV do you get the charging system along with it??
Depends on the car and manufacturer. Sometimes it's included, other times it's an optional extra, other times a basic one is included but you can pay extra for a more advanced one. I don't know about Tesla specifically.

Another question pops into my head. Seems the car could be plugged into a charger and then perhaps be able to open the doors???
Good point. I guess he must have thought of that, or at least somebody must have suggested it to him, and yet he couldn't do it. Who knows, maybe the battery wasn't just discharged, but completely dead, so that it wouldn't take a charge anymore.

As for the lack of a mechanical key, I couldn't agree more. I'm not sure if Tesla has indeed no mechanical key, that was just speculation of my part, but personally I will never buy a car without a mechanical backup key.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I am seriously looking at a Tesla as a next car. I just need to see more charging stations around the area. On the one hand, I don't drive a lot so it makes a lot of sense as they require little maintenance. I'm 79 and drive less than 5k miles per year, so I doubt I'll ever need to replace the battery. On the other hand, since I drive less than 5K per year, I use less than 250 gallons of gas, so gas prices aren't a serious concern.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I am seriously looking at a Tesla as a next car. I just need to see more charging stations around the area. On the one hand, I don't drive a lot so it makes a lot of sense as they require little maintenance. I'm 79 and drive less than 5k miles per year, so I doubt I'll ever need to replace the battery. On the other hand, since I drive less than 5K per year, I use less than 250 gallons of gas, so gas prices aren't a serious concern.
Hello; You are four years older than I. I also drive maybe 5000 miles or less a year. I understand the batteries are warranted for eight or ten years and follow the logic.
I get that the electric motors themselves do not have much in the way of maintenance, but the rest of the EV will be very much like an ICE. EV's have a cooling system similar to an ICE so that will have to be maintained. As will heating and AC.
Two questions come to mind for me, plus an economic consideration. I do not know the answer to the questions so pose them so as to see if others can provide information.

Question one is are the EV's actually as maintenance free as we are led to believe. Asking, keeping in mind the way that they are advertised to be pollution free. Some pure EV's have been on the road a few years so may be there are stats on them. Saw a car repair show ( Tech Garage maybe) where an EV was in for work.

Next question is about the battery warranty. Is it a full free battery replacement right up to the last day of the battery warranty? Is it prorated the way most batteries are with some percentage of cost onto the customer over time. Made up example = Say the first three years full replacement and then a 20% cost added each year the last five years???

The economic consideration has to do with does the EV have to make value sense. Currently I know of no practical EV choices. The purchase prices are high. We have to have a charger system installed to be cost effective over public chargers. The home chargers can be expensive to have installed so can be a large initial outlay of cash. Many states are coming up with mileage schemes to recoup fees lost at gas pumps.
The kicker as far as value goes will be the cost of gasoline over time. Gas prices are down a bit now but will go up again soon. After the strategic oil reserve stops being depleted in a month or so that will remove around a million barrels a day from the market. Other factors can drive fuel prices up. There is a strong move to stop all fossil fuels. So, the cost of fuel can alter the value of having an EV vs. an ICE.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Teslas are being used as taxis in a number of markets because maintenance costs are very low and the batteries are lasting over 300k miles, often over 500k miles. I am checking extended warranty costs and coverage, as they are a good indication of repair costs.

Having a charging station installed in my garage isn't a huge concern. I already have 220v service and a huge electric panel with lots of room. My son-in-law is a master electrician.

There are still significant credits available for EVs in many locations.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Teslas are being used as taxis in a number of markets because maintenance costs are very low and the batteries are lasting over 300k miles, often over 500k miles. I am checking extended warranty costs and coverage, as they are a good indication of repair costs.

Having a charging station installed in my garage isn't a huge concern. I already have 220v service and a huge electric panel with lots of room. My son-in-law is a master electrician.

There are still significant credits available for EVs in many locations.
Hello; Seems i mistook your previous post by interpreting it as a search for answers about an EV.

You are in good shape in terms of having a charging station at home with the free labor, so maybe $700 to $1000 for the unit. Good for you. Many will not have such a deal. On a side note, it occurs to me that these home charging units ought to come with an EV. We would not tolerate an ICE without a fuel tank. So, the cost of charging for you will be as reasonable as is possible after installing a home unit. For most of us we will have to factor in the cost of instillation.

I did some searching after reading your previous post. Found where some Tesla's have done over 100,000 miles on a battery pack. Also that the Tesla warranty promises a percentage of charge after miles/time. Seems that the batteries will loose capacity to hold a charge is understood from the get go. I hesitate to pin down what the warranty promises from memory but think it is in the 70% to 80% range.
Thing is I do not yet know if the battery pack is replaced 100% free of charge if one fails under warranty. We all know these battery packs can cost tens of thousands to replace out of warranty. A question I will want answered before plunking down the extra cost to buy an EV.

That an electric motor can run for a long time is not a surprise. Seems the EV I read or hear about are touted for two things. One being the electric motors should last. The other is the instant torque characteristic of electric motors. I would like to see/read about long term/fleet maintained EV costs compared to an ICE. I am pretty confident the extra weight of the batteries will affect tires, chassis parts and brakes, but have no clue about other potential issues. Pure EV's have been around for a while so such information may be available.
The hype about LED lights has been partly on how long they last. Well, I have had several fails since I switched over. A few are still going strong. Others have failed and soon. Same for high tec TV's, computers and other things with lots of circuit boards. Points being those that do well can last but those that fail tend to become junk. I rarely can fix a circuit board so usually just toss the product. I can stand to toss a TV or some other appliance but could not stand to toss an EV.
Guess the same can be said about a lot of modern ICE vehicles in that many are loaded up with too much tech.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
You aren't wrong, I am still searching for answers. Just because I have done some research doesn't mean I know a lot.

Weight was one of the things that I thought would be a factor, but it really isn't. A Tesla Model 3 weighs about the same as my Mustang. EV weight is a matter of what you are comparing it to. Most modern vehicles are damned heavy.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Seems to me that the charging station in your garage is all you'll need

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
For sure. Very fee people even realize it’ll cost them 5k plus to install a charging system in there home.
$5K+? - we spent nowhere near that less than a year ago.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Ohio does not have the rolling blackouts like Cali. Ohio got rid of a shit ton of pollution, just like Cali. The Ohio Valley is now 99% smog free. I can see to the horizon when on a ridge, I could not when I was young.
Good ol' Ohio: I was Born and raised in Youngstown, Ohio, and I credit The State of Ohio for providing me with incredible motivation to move to California. Thanks Ohio!
Sponsored