Sponsored

Typewriter tick

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
so do a goddam leakdown test,like every else has done from the beginning of time, that tells you definitively if there's an issue or send an oil sample... it doesn't matter if theres a picture of the goddamn mona lisa on your cylinder wall as long as your sealing properly and ..what the worry??? what your drivetrain warranty 5 years?? fuck it, your fords worry not mine , good luck in your endeavors.. :) peace bro
Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
so do a goddam leakdown test,like every else has done from the beginning of time, that tells you definitively if there's an issue or send an oil sample... it doesn't matter if theres a picture of the goddamn mona lisa on your cylinder wall as long as your sealing properly and ..what the worry??? what your drivetrain warranty 5 years?? fuck it, your fords worry not mine , good luck in your endeavors.. :) peace bro
I am still 50/50 on the fence if any issues actually exist. I think these pics are being misinterpreted, and don't believe Ford is reselling cars that are bought back if there were actual issues. I'm not saying nobody has any issues though.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
pics say jan 1 2012?

I say drive it and turn up the radio! I really start to believe it will happen on all of them at some point and it may be normal. I dunno, you see ford looking into and putting out TSB for throttle body and other things, why would they avoid this if it was a real problem? From that stand point I'm 50/50.. The sound sucks though dont get me wrong, ticking noise doesn't sound normal..
1. To avoid a recall
2. To help protect parts supplies (2-3 linked)
3. To avoid a rush to dealers
4. Bad media

As soon as you admit an issue...

Did no one catch LS Eater mentiong an ISM (internal service message) at 4:07?

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
1. To avoid a recall
2. To help protect parts supplies
4. Bad media
yeah how many hundreds of thousands of f150's would be on the side of the road hauling campers and boats and construction equipment though the mountains and deserts if there was any other problem besides noise? Ford would have been bankrupt a year ago if the noise was anything major.. My god my company alone buys 500 f150s a year,with people that don't give a rats ass on how they treat the truck, with the same engine,,,y'all need to quit being noise snowflakes

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some of the OPs pics:
1275CEDC-9F61-446D-97B3-2659ADDD726E.jpeg
82181D38-E03C-4333-954B-BDEDB5D6C0EF.jpeg
5B14D78C-0BB3-406C-AAAA-41D1A4B4C453.jpeg
AB91F112-C937-4A14-B439-035B613267BD.jpeg
78CBA78B-DF9C-40B5-87E8-66AEFDEA5AA2.jpeg
E056E4D0-632F-4735-9BE0-62C92C1715B9.jpeg
695D1ED7-8E73-4A17-ACC8-D21E85BDF059.jpeg
18F4348E-6564-4A05-9F72-8FE6A3C38BD6.jpeg

Sponsored

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Mach 1 on order; ‘18 Mustang GT (sold)
1. To avoid a recall
2. To help protect parts supplies (2-3 linked)
4. Bad media

As soon as you admit an issue...

Did no one catch LS Eater mentiong an ISM (internal service message) at 4:07?
I caught it and couldn't believe what I was hearing....if that has any credence then screw Ford.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah how many hundreds of thousands of f150's would be on the side of the road hauling campers and boats and construction equipment though the mountains and deserts if there was any other problem besides noise? Ford would have been bankrupt a year ago if the noise was anything major.. My god my company alone buys 500 f150s a year,with people that don't give a rats ass on how they treat the truck, with the same engine,,,y'all need to quit being noise snowflakes
OK?

How many trucks are V8s? How many are Ecoboost?

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
I had the same reaction. If that’s true... if, than damn, man!
If its true its Ford literally straight up saying F the customer we don't give a shit and if that is the case its Camaro/hellcat charger for me!

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
whats in those pics? nothing but some odd marks...show me some vids of smoking tail pipes and bad oil samples and I will kiss your asses....yah gotta put 1100 hp to get em to blow from what I have heard on here …and just an offhand guess I think 2/3 are v-8 and company trucks aint babied

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
whats in those pics? nothing but some odd marks...show me some vids of smoking tail pipes and bad oil samples and I will kiss your asses....yah gotta put 1100 hp to get em to blow from what I have heard on here …and just an offhand guess I think 2/3 are v-8 and company trucks aint babied
#1 Why are you getting so angry?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't want to throw a monkey into this wrench, but I am an engineer, and I wanted to get a second opinion on these pics above to reaffirm my own metallurgical knowledge and suspicion. So, I stopped by the local Roush dealer and talked to their Ford certified master mechanic. My opinion is supported by all of them that saw these pics.

The marks seen in pics 2,3 and most noticeable in 4 above, is NOT excessive scoring found in a 200,000 mile engine block. The most noticeable marks seen in pic #4 are absolutely normal wear marks found on almost every newer engine during break in. What looks like pitting is usually some carbon buildup on the cylinder walls. There will always be some wear marks, and those marks with only 10,000 miles appear to be completely normal.

That said, I do believe any piston slap "could" lead to a problem down the road, especially if poor lubricants are used. Thus, engine damage can result, but this is not the case in the pics above.

I also believe it would behoove Ford to come out, and publicly acknowledge the ticking issue, and search for a way and offer customers potential solutions before the bad press goes viral, and destroys the company. The noise is far too common to claim it as infrequent now. However, it does not appear, based on this design, that the minor tick/slap is indication of absolute imminent engine failure or even that it will affect its longevity.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I worked for a company that repaired plated engine cylinders that came in NiSiC, Chrome and electrofusion (similar to PWAT). Marks in the cylinders in the pictures above, usually could not be measured and were not an issue. Cylinder damage from a partial seizure could sometimes be cleaned up without any real damage to the coating by just removing the aluminum on the bore. Gouges from broken rings of course required the coating to be stripped, damage in cylinder tig welded, machining out the and the cylinder re-plated and re machined for correct piston to cylinder wall clearance. Porosity was usually not an issue as the pores in the coating helped to retain oil which is a good thing. The main problem with chrome plated bores in the past was they were too smooth and were not good at holding oil...Think of a waxed car hood and how it sheds water. What I would add to this conversation is the coating is a lot tougher than most people realize, especially in 4 stroke applications. It may be thin but it is much more wear resistant than cast iron liners. Heat transfer is much better, there is less friction, you can run tighter piston/cyl wall clearance and the finished product weighs less. Of course the cylinder geometry needs to be good, round with no taper, with the proper clearance.
What we need is for someone to completely tear down a "ticking" 5.0 and check all the critical clearances and find out where the excessive clearance is, if the tick is caused by this.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I caught it and couldn't believe what I was hearing....if that has any credence then screw Ford.
I'd be very careful at what you hear and believe on the internet. I highly doubt anyone at a dealer would tell a customer this, however, its not the first time I read and hear about the internal memo online as just another rumor..Actually it started off a bit different and it was said customers were unhappy with the tick, tell them it is normal, than something else later.. Like the game of telephone.

Like the "bad batch" of engines rumor within certain build dates.. youtubers were all over that!

Take what you are getting from the heros on youtube with a grain of salt.

When someone that works at a ford dealer can post that internal memo online and I can see it with my own eyes, I will start believing otherwise.
Sponsored