Sponsored

Trackaholic's GT350 Experience

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
So, I've been debating how to handle posting info about my experience with the car, modifications, track days, etc., and have decided that I'd like to do a running update similar to a build thread or "Bossing's Journey" thread. Not sure yet if it also makes sense to post the info in other threads and link to the post here, or just keep everything here, but I think it is pretty cool to have a bit of a history that one can go back and review later.

With that said, here was my first thread, about my delivery experience:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42745

Last week, @ 2700 miles I had the oil changed and the car dyno'd. I used the OEM Motorcraft 5W-50 oil and OEM oil filter. I do feel that the 5W-50 seems a bit thick for normal use, since the car is running ~50-100 psi even when warm, but since that is what Ford recommends, that's what I'll stick with for now.

Here is a video of the dyno run:
[ame]

Here's a comparison shot of my run compared to a stock coyote:
attachment.jpg

Yesterday, I installed the UPR GT350 Oil Catch Can. It is a very impressive set of components. The quality and attention to detail in the design is very nice. The hoses are all quick release, there is a nice thumb-nut to allow easy removal of the can for cleaning, the mounting bracket hardware is nicely retained on the screws with o-rings, and the installation was very easy.

I followed these instructions for installation, with slight modifications due to the differences between the GT350 and standard Mustang:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-37354654005614/upr-products-5030-98-install.pdf

For the GT350 you can skip to Step 2 as there isn't a radiator cover. Also, when performing Step 2, the GT350 does not use a single bolt, but rather a stud with a nut. So you need a 13mm deep socket for the nut, and then a 7/32" socket to remove the stud.

I've attached some photos of the install below.
1. All the components next to a standard set of allen wrenches for scale.
2. The nut/stud component
3. The mounting bracket installed
4. The routing of the PCV lines (note that I routed the clean line between the "fork" in the electrical harness @ the intake side. Trying to go over or under the harness did not work as well, and stressed the cables one way or the other.

I also ordered some magnetic car numbers from these guys:
http://www.edecals.com/custom_decal_designer/instant-magnetic-number-ovals.html

I chose the 16 x 10 size, but I think I went too small. Should have gone with the 19 x 12 or 20 x 13. I chose a black background with white numbers and trim, which comes close to matching the stripes on the car. Don't have any photos of the numbers yet, but should have some next Friday after my track-day @ Laguna Seca. The numbers are vinyl on the magnetic base, and look quite nice. They stick well to the side of the car, but I also invested in some yellow painter's tape to help hold down the edges.

I think that covers things for now, but plan to update as I spend more time with the car.

-T
IMG_1031_small.jpg
IMG_1033_small.jpg
IMG_1035_small.jpg
IMG_1036_small.jpg
Sponsored

FTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R
It's a good and helpful idea to share thoughts and experiences.

That being said, I think we should have a journal sub-forum.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Thanks for your thoughts/tips on installing the UPR system as I will be doing this in the next few weeks.

Look forward to your feedback from the track.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Good start! That's also in my soon to do list... a pair of catch cans. I'm also planning on the hood struts... are you thinking of that too? Yesterday while spiritedly driving, I noticed some hood flutter once I was at 130+ and I let off at 143.... {all this in mehico of course} :D

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Good start! That's also in my soon to do list... a pair of catch cans. I'm also planning on the hood struts... are you thinking of that too? Yesterday while spiritedly driving, I noticed some hood flutter once I was at 130+ and I let off at 143.... {all this in mehico of course} :D

Hood struts will fix that flutter? The hood has been lifting on all GT350s at high speed. Pretty scary if it were to fly open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Yeah we don't know yet if the struts would even deter against fluttering... I'll be (or some of us) the beta tester. :D

OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hadn't planned on struts as the prop rod doesn't bother me at all. Actually prefer it due to simplicity.

I did adjust the hood latch a little to try pull the center down a bit to get a better seal against the gasket. I initially lowered the latch too much, then backed off a hair and ended up probably in the same place it started. I still need to adjust the padded posts on each side, which are currently fully lowered and not making contact with the hood. Having them touch might help stop or reduce any fluttering. I'll try to get some photos of the car at high speed to see how the hood looks.

-T

OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just finished my inaugural track day in the GT350. The event was a 90 dB day at Laguna Seca, hosted by NCRC.

The weather was beautiful; sunny and cool (64 degrees). My car is totally stock, except for the UPR GT350 catch can kit (I haven't opened it up yet to see what it has captured).

First Session:
Because Laguna has strict sound policies, and because we know the GT350 is loud, I decided to ask for a sound check at the beginning of my first session. The sound check allows you to learn the actual reading from the sound station, without being penalized. I therefore put the car in sport mode and started my first lap. I was meatballed right after the sound station and went back in to the pits, and learned that I had hit 97 dB. I told the steward that I would try in "quiet mode" to see if that improved things, but learned that you are only allowed one sound check per session and two per day. Crap! First session wasted! Also, that meant that I would need to be very careful for my second session for a couple of reasons: First, the steward said I should do another sound check at the beginning of the second session, and Second, the sound booth now know how loud my car was, making me a possible target. This negatively affected my ability to gather data on the different exhaust modes.

Second Session:
I originally planed to do a sound check at full throttle in normal mode, to see if the exhaust was any different than in sport mode. Unfortunately, I was pretty certain I'd fail the check and didn't want to waste my session, so I ended up running at part throttle, to make sure the exhaust valves would stay closed. Using this method I tested at 89 dB, and was cleared! Unfortunately, and car spun and stalled, so the session was cut short.

Third Session:
Finally starting to drive the car, but it is difficult to get into a rhythm because I am barely accelerating and need to let almost everyone pass. However, I do not get flagged for sound (bonus!) and I am starting to get a feel for the braking and cornering.

Fourth Session:
I am hoping the sound people have mostly forgotten about me, so I am starting to increase throttle when away from the sound booth. I set my fastest lap of the day during this session, a 1:50.16. This is not a great time overall, but it was a new personal best for me (previous best was a 1:53.03 in my 350Z on R888 tires). I am pretty happy to get so close to the 1:40's without really using the power of the car. In fact, my straightaway speed is not much faster than it is in my Z.

Fifth and Final Session:
Similar to the fourth. I don't repeat the 1:50, but I do get several 1:51's mixed in.

Impressions of the car:
Obviously I didn't get to have the full GT350 experience, due to the issues with sound. I would really like to see MFR's start to incorporate "quite modes" on vehicles so we can purposefully set them to remain in that position no matter the throttle, RPM, or whatever. If that means adjusting the throttle mapping to compensate (I've heard rumors that the GT350 valves must open at full throttle for reliability reasons) then please do that. It is very annoying to have an awesome car that you can't take to one of the country's most famous tracks because of some stupid (yet well known) noise ordinance.

However, with that said, the car did very well. It was extremely quick the couple times I did go full throttle, and the handling was very good. It was especially grippy in left hand turns, but somewhat lacking in right handers. I will definitely be looking into getting the track alignment, maybe with some camber plates that can be marked it would be easy to go back to street mode. In Turn 2, which is the double apex at the end of the straight, the car rotates very well in the middle of the corner under braking. I could initiate a drift on demand my modulating the brakes). However, Turns 3, 8b, and 10 were much tougher for me to get a handle on (the right hand turns). The front of the car felt like it was washing away much too early. Looking at my lap timer data, it does seem like I am pretty consistently cornering at 0.9 in that direction, compared to 1.1 on the others. It will be interesting to learn if the car has an alignment issue if it is driver related.

The brakes were good, but a little softer and with less bite than the Stoptech BBK with Performance Friction PFC97's on my 350Z. As you can see from the linked youtube videos, I'm braking at closer to .9G on the Z and only 0.6G in the GT350. I am typically pretty soft on the brakes in the first place, but here is an area where I could pick up a bit of time. Also, the Heel-Toe on the GT350 is pretty difficult for me, due to the spacing between the gas and brake. On the street I can handle it pretty well because I am braking softly and use only the ball of my foot. On the track, I tend to be more centered on the brake and can't quite reach the gas. I will need to continue to experiment with this.

I did find that the front splitter would scrape going over the corkscrew. I tried many slightly different lines, but the only time I didn't scrape was when I took the turn extremely wide, which just isn't any fun. So, in the video's you'll hear the front rubbing on compression pretty much every lap.

I am really looking forward to finding some higher dB days at Laguna, and getting out to Thunderhill, Sonoma, and maybe Buttonwillow where I can really let the car open up. Still, even though I was holding back quite a bit, the car was pretty amazing. I think the tack alignment and R-compounds will really make the car feel planted.

Here are some short videos of my sessions, highlighting a few of the faster laps. I've also included a single lap in my 350Z, where I was chasing a McLaren. The lap in the Z was one of my best, and is therefore a good baseline. And, I should probably get a new phone mount.

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

-T

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And here is another post with some photos.

The on-track photos were taken by http://www.gotbluemilk.com/

1. Breakfast of champions (not Sex, unfortunately)
2. On the way to the track
3. Front Tires before
4. Front Tires after
5. Exiting T6
6. Down the Corkscrew
7. Exiting T9
8. Temps after a 1/2 lap cooldown

-T
IMG_1041_small.jpg
IMG_1044_small.jpg
IMG_1047_small.jpg
IMG_1055_small.jpg
GBMA1800_small.jpg
GBMA2844_small.jpg
GBMA3747_small.jpg
IMG_1050_small.jpg

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Sweet vids... nice runs too and very cool pics! Someday I'd love the experience MRLS.

Corkscrew capture is fantastic... yellow looks great! :thumbsup:

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Great, vids, photos and info. Car looks sweet.
Sounds like you had first good day.
Tough to beat the sound check, hurts your times
for sure.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
The GT350 experience, the best thing since The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Thanks for sharing!

It seems weird that the splitter scrapes on the corkscrew considering all the testing and track tour stuff that they did with this car at MRLS. The noise level issue is a bummer too.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Hadn't planned on struts as the prop rod doesn't bother me at all. Actually prefer it due to simplicity.

I did adjust the hood latch a little to try pull the center down a bit to get a better seal against the gasket. I initially lowered the latch too much, then backed off a hair and ended up probably in the same place it started. I still need to adjust the padded posts on each side, which are currently fully lowered and not making contact with the hood. Having them touch might help stop or reduce any fluttering. I'll try to get some photos of the car at high speed to see how the hood looks.

-T
I too like the prop rod better. I'm a mechanic and sometimes working from the side of the car the hood struts can be in the way. I prefer the prop rod. It's also lighter.
Try putting a small dab of smeared grease or water base paint on the hood bumpers to see how much if any hood contact you have.
Sponsored