Sponsored

Any Gt350 owners have experience with Subaru Sti?

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Which do feel is better for daily driving? The sti or gt350?
The STI has a smaller footprint and lighter. Made it easier for daily. I live in the North East, so AWD is helpful in the winter. For me everytime i get into my GT350 there is a sense of occasion. This was not there in the STI
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
For me....
I fit in the WRX and Mustang. Miata, not so much I think. Havenā€™t sat in one since they were introduced. Wife loved it though.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Another excellent daily is a mini cooper. Not good for hauling more than 2 people, but with the rear seats down, they can haul a lot. One of my favorite cars.

ExtantPuzzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
For me....
I fit in the WRX and Mustang. Miata, not so much I think. Havenā€™t sat in one since they were introduced. Wife loved it though.
Fitting in things was my biggest issue. I've got the Outback now as my DD for hauling kids + dog, but I'll probably be swapping to the WRX next time it's due for a refresh. I've had a few friends with STIs over the years and they're enjoyable to drive.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I had an RS for a DD and I loved it. It was the funnest DD I've ever had. Unfortunately I was rearended in the beginning of December and it's still in the damn shop. Over $15k in damage, with a ton of structural damage, and my insurance won't total it so I've already traded it in on a Tacoma lol. It's sad they don't still make the RS or I'd buy another one.

I am not a fan of the STi. The Golf R is alright but kind of boring. I worked out an MSRP deal on a Type-R but since I have my GT350, I went another route and bought a Tacoma TRD Offroad.

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Maybe BRZ / Toyota 86. As fast as a Miata but with more room. Great handling dynamics. I know the engine is a bit uninspired but a tune easily takes care of the torque dip.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Maybe BRZ / Toyota 86. As fast as a Miata but with more room. Great handling dynamics. I know the engine is a bit uninspired but a tune easily takes care of the torque dip.
The Mrs almost bought the BRZ Grey Series last year. Neat little car that I can actually drive.
She decided itā€™s just a little low for her to get in and out of. She also likes the room her Forester has.
After we dismissed the BRZ I discovered the GT350. Twice the price but ten times the fun.

BostonDMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP, 2009 Porsche 911 CS, 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, 2017 Alfa Romeo 4C, 2017 Jeep SRT, 1998 Porsche Boxster (race car), 2017 Audi Allroad, 1998 Mercedes GL450, 2016 Subaru crosstrek
I owned a 2015 STi Launch edition for a season...... fun little car, I tracked her several times and she did OK, but eventually I sold her and bought a 997 911......

My advice is to get a used Cayman S 2010-2012 MY and have a blast......

Here are some memories with the STi......

pdac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT, 2011 GT/CS, 2013 Jeep Wranger, 2014 GT/CS - All SOLD! Current - 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Is that an actual ad? If it is, itā€™s an old one for sure.
A couple years after we bought our ā€˜15 Forester XT for my wife, we heard about the whole gays drive Subaruā€™s crap...I mean really?
Itā€™s been a good car and is deceptively fast and handles well. All wheel drive is a really nice option in snow/wet country.
BTW...My wife loves her Forester XT. After 30years of marriage neither of us are thinking of switching teams.
Whoever mentioned the Golf R, thank you. Itā€™s all wheel drive as well. We will consider it as a replacement for the Forester.
Take it easy man. I don't think anyone was insinuating anything about you or your wife. Enjoy your Subaru.

geepaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '15 WRX STI Launch Ed, '03 SVT Cobra (RIP)
I have a ā€˜15 . I just got it back from a rebuild at 59k. It had the bearing recall issue. It is a blast in the rain. Rides way stiffer than my Shelby. the reasons I bought it are that it has a huge trunk, tons of rear leg room for my family, love the gold bbs and blue on the launch Ed , very good steering (has hydraulic steering), and a great transmission.

the negatives are : too stiff a ride for my taste, clutch wore out at 56k miles, 2 brake
Jobs in 50k miles, and I think the brakes are not up to par for stopping distance IMO. I like the car but donā€™t love it.

Sponsored

5.0AVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red 401A PP1 GT
For a daily I'd go Golf R. When I had to get rid of my GT due to my son being born I drove an STi and actually ordered one but just couldn't go through with buying a car that was basically worse than my wife's Focus RS in every way other than back seat room. Drove a used one as well that rattled and whined. It was 2 years old and only had 20k miles, That kind of worried me. The super short gearing was a bit of a turn off as well. Also due to the added weight and the changes they have made over the years they seem to be getting slower.

My wife loves her RS and dailys it but I would definitely NOT buy one used. Lots of knuckleheads in the RS community that mod that car without doing much research and then trade them in. Also, it's a damn shame that the idiots assembling them screwed up the headgaskets. Ford did such a good job with that car and that is real black mark on the whole thing. My wife's car was perfect until we had the headgasket recall completed. Since then it's been in for an oil leak twice and is probably going to end up requiring the headgasket be re done at a different dealer with a more experienced tech.

I owned a GTI for a year and beat the crap out of it. While it was boring it got amazing mileage, was built really nice, and did everything I asked. Nicer materials than any of my Fords or Hondas. The Golf R can be had for a steal right now as they are switching models.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Iā€™m also looking to get an AWD car for living in Minnesota and itā€™s a used RS or new Sti or new Golf R. One dealer has an S209 in stock but still wants 65 K for it. A nice limited STi or Golf R can be had new for about 38k now. Iā€™ve tried to find a local 18 RS but none around here.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Take it easy man. I don't think anyone was insinuating anything about you or your wife. Enjoy your Subaru.
All good man. Never took it as in insult, just poking fun.

Narwaniec594

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
17 Gt350
Never liked subaru. My friend who i go on a track with had 2018 Sti, blew engine on a first track session, engine suffered from.oil starvation. My friend never did reasearch that for 2.5 turbo subaru sti had piston, rigs, spun bearings and oil starvation problems. 3 law suites agains subaru. But maybe for 2020 they fixed the issues.

Veloater N is really cool hatch, drove it and despite low quality interior i liked it. Exhaust noise and performance is good. Really fun car. That peice new about 27k for 275 horses

Civic type R. Yes!!! That could be a fun daily

voodoo-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
t.o.d
Vehicle(s)
2017-GT350R
Which do feel is better for daily driving? The sti or gt350?
I drive my GT350 any day there is no salt/snow on the roads. Winter has been mild this year in the Northeast so I have been driving it every day. Wife has an '18 STI Limited and the GT350 is much more relaxing/comfortable to drive. The days I drive the STI it feels like I am in a go-cart and it needs to be in S#. The clutch is like an on/off switch and the ride is harsher. It has 4 doors and is easier to get in/out of with usable back seats unlike the GT350. Trunk size is about the same and warms up quicker that the GT350 when its below 40. So if I lived in a warmer climate and did not need the back seat I would DD a GT350 over the STI.
Sponsored