Sponsored

This Is Ford's Plan To Fix The Mustang's Biggest Problem

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I believe this "looked down attitude" however is rather a consequence of Ford not understanding the perception of its own brand (as they proved later with Mach E again) than a problem with the car alone.

For me the major attributes defining Mustang are having NA 5L V8, RWD, manual trans, particular sound, two doors, is affordable (relatively speaking), and that is it.

If the car looks the same, but does not have the features noted above, it is not Mustang (I can accept an AT instead of an MT).

It does not mean the other car is worse or bad. The current BMW M4 has a similar look, manual, RWD, similar performance numbers, but I doubt many will be cross shopping between the two or suggest they are alike.

M4 might be in some characteristics actually closer to Mustang GT than Ecoboost is.

Mustang is a rare brand which is defined by its engine the same way it is defined by anything else. Having Ford telling me otherwise is hardly changing that.
So, just to confirm, you’re saying the Ecoboost isn’t a real Mustang?
Sponsored

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
Guess by his logic, GT owners are all posers because the Shelby line exists.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Take a look where @murick is from. Europe has only had a factory Mustang since 2015. No V6, only EB & GT. GT has been far more popular. They just don’t have the history with the Mustang that we lucky North Americans have. He wasn’t putting the EB down, just looking at the car from a different perspective.

Last edited:

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Interesting because over the last 31 years (when I bought a new 1990 GT Vert), the inflation adjusted price for a Mustang hasn't gone up that much. But, other shit is way more expensive and young people may not have as much disposable income when just living is a challenge.
1990? No: Cell phones, big cable bills, huge rents, big mortgages, big tax payments, high fuel costs, all manner of subscription fees (netflix, hulu etc.), so much more crap in general to consume.

Living simply today is very difficult.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
In order to lower the age of the average Mustang buyer, you have to do one of two things. Make the Mustang affordable to the average entry level car buyer as it was in 1965 (sorry that ship has sailed) or reinvent the Mustang to become what young buyers (and families) want in a year round vehicle.

I would expect Mustang to branch out as more of a family oriented DD as years pass as well as a keeping a high end EV coupe version with an equally expensive MSRP to make up for the lack of units sold.

Automobiles to the our younger generation are not what they meant to mine. Times have changed and with that, so will the automotive industry and the Mustang itself.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I'll fix the biggest problem - remove the "Mustang" branding, logos and name plate from that MOCKe and you'll get the audience tuned to the genuine Mustang...

:devil:

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I think there is an angle we have all missed about younger drivers; or in this case, riders.
Crotch rockets seem to be the big draw for the younger generations. Modern motorcycles are cheaper and faster than cars. Burn less gas too. Insurance is the only thing slowing those sales down.
Yeah, there are down sides to bikes, but when it comes to fun, you can probably buy a fast bike and a cheap daily driver for less than a Mustang GT, Challenger, or SS Camaro.
I wouldn't have a bike myself, but if I was younger, it might be a different story.

Lilmags500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 19 F350 20 Fusion Ti 19 Escape Ti
Ford could make the mustang more appealing simply by fixing the wheel hop right from the
Get go . This issue has pissed me off for 35 years , now we get factory line lock in a car that if you
Try to do a burnout you risk blowing the drive train right out of the car ....

I'm old and pro burnout , no doubt the young fellas want to let it rip also . I realize we can fix this
In the aftermarket as I have many times , but why should we have to ?

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
I'll fix the biggest problem - remove the "Mustang" branding, logos and name plate from that MOCKe and you'll get the audience tuned to the genuine Mustang...

Yes, refinement and delineation of Mustang mantras will likely change. I think Jim Farley continues to be accepted in his leadership role... seeing that Wall Street and investors have seen a doubling of the price in the stock.

Farley is a vintage racer, a global thinker with real market experience. Ford will continue to build the Mustang in all likelihood in Michigan given existing infrastructure and skilled labor. However, the electrification transition will be sourced from Tenessee and likely southern states for many reasons. Just look what others are doing.

Of all the potential management regimes possible for Ford, my guess is Farley is the right guy in the right place to satisfy investors and the traditional performance oriented markets..... his global management experience is a plus, he's a car guy and I really hope that the company remains committed to various professional racing platforms.... that will be critical to the future of the Mustang.... Just as it has since Shelby built a few R models and the days of the Ferrari wars. Competition will vary but Ford must press on.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I agree on all points. I'm not that young but my sons (GenX and Millennial) have different tastes and/or budgets. Neither is going to buy a $50,000 (or around) pony car. One has a Audi Q5 turbo (while already to install new turbo he bought) the other has 2 kids and a VW Golf wagon. I grew up duing the muscle car era and can afford my GT (finally).being a fan of fast cars I see younger dudes going for the tuners vs. V8's.
Wouldn't buy a Mustang but buys an Audi Q5. What that tells me is the impracticality of the Mustang is more of a factor than the price. It makes perfect sense to me, though. I didn't buy my Mustang until my kids were through college and out of the house.

troverman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium manual
The problem that Ford is really having is that younger people are far less interested in cars with a soul. And frankly, the S550 doesn't even have that much of a soul, but you can bet the S650 will have even less.

I'm a millennial, but I happen to love cars and trucks and machinery. Most of my friends, and particularly those on the younger end of the millennials, want a car that looks nice and is fancy, but they want hybrid, electric, efficient, quiet, safe, etc. A manual transmission is something they would never want. And while they want a vehicle that is quick, they don't want it to be loud.
Sponsored