Sponsored

This Is Ford's Plan To Fix The Mustang's Biggest Problem

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Let them stick to manufacturing cars.
let them build EV-F150 you mean. 150,000 units (projected capacity) in it's 1st year.

Mustang is almost entirely irrelevant to the bottom line. I'll bet the C-Suite keeps bringing up the argument for just nuking the Mustang (car) since it's a cost center and lousy margins comparatively and would be dead and gone if not for Union contracts with the facility and there's not a whole lot Flint could make without a complete re-tool. So they just let the Mustang 'coast' on inertia till the numbers get so low it dies into irrelevancy. That's no doubt why it was pivoted to a 'brand'. That way you can shove all sorts of nonsense thru the tag.

I frankly wonder if the S650 will even materialize. I think Ford management is hoping the slide of Mustang into irrelevancy is on terminal glidepath and if they release anything it'll be an 'EV-lite' of the S550. Honestly I'm surprised the Maverick truck was NOT released as a Mustang-branded item.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
parent of two Gen Z's (born2012), They drive Toyota sedans (Camry and Corolla).

your 9 year old drives a sedan?

your 9 year old drives......

food_fanaticz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT Premium
Well, Mustang faithful, I do agree that it's a concern for sure. I will admit that I'm not on every social media platform, but one those I do frequent, I rarely see any advertising for America's icon. I'm sure that Ford has partners who are mining and crunching the data and know where to place their messaging for maximum impact for different market segments, the question is are they.

Having said this, Ford also can't do this on their own. They need us. What do I mean? Next time that you're at a show, cruise or track event and you see a youngster tagging along with his or her parents, and they stop to look over your car, invite the youngster to sit in it. You want to make an impact on the younger generations? This is an excellent way. It even works on the parents as well.

I actually had a woman break down in tears when she told me about her '86 GT which she had to part with when she and her kids where checking mine out. I asked her if she like to sit in it. Her response was something like, "really, can I?" She relayed all the good times that she had spent in that car while her children obviously knowing her affinity for that vehicle, said that she would get emotional. I then ask her to push in the clutch, I threw her the keys and said, "go ahead and start it". After balling her eyes out. She shut her off, stepped out of the car and profusely thanked me for allowing her to relive her memories, if only for a minute or two. Think that had an impact on her kids?

Want to have an impact? Engage the emotions and the dollars will follow!
Very kind of you to do for that woman! I agree that Ford needs to engage emotions of future generation of buyers, it works. Now it's making me wonder what led to my decision to ultimately get a Mustang! lol I had never owned a Ford (or any other American car for that matter). Why did I choose a Mustang? Hard to explain, there were other cars I was thinking of getting before I made the final decision to get one, was leaning toward small suvs made by toyota and honda and on the sportier side lexus rc f so American made never crossed my mind. Maybe part of it was growing up hearing good things about Mustangs...My dad has owned two Mustangs, I remember he used to tell me as a kid he'd be tasked with washing my grandmother's Mustang (not sure what year, 1966-1968 likely?) all I remember is that it was described as a bright blue and apparently unforgettable to my dad lol..maybe subconsciously I wanted to get my own blue 'stang too!:inlove:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in my 50s. V8s were the only good performance option when I was growing up. Couple that with the associated nostalgia and you have a good base of buyers. Cars were much more basic in design and features in the old days, too. But with millennials, the car landscape is vastly different.

I think the expected base level of luxury is higher nowadays, which makes any car expensive. Electric windows were once an uncommon luxury. Now you have heated sets, infotainment systems, and all the govt mandated safety items now required on cars. All that comes at a cost, and that's before you bolt in a better drivetrain. A performance car with roll-down windows, no a/c, AM radio, non-adjustable steering wheel position, hubcaps, etc. just wouldn't sell very well today. The golden age of cheap, simple and fast cars is gone.

Sponsored

Millarduck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT; 2016 Jeep GC Limited; 2014 Honda Accord Touring; former 1966 Mustang Coupe- Sprint Edition

DougGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I always thought it was the price! It's gone up so much that it's hard for a young person to justify buying a new one. Hell I've never owned a new one :D

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I always thought it was the price! It's gone up so much that it's hard for a young person to justify buying a new one. Hell I've never owned a new one :D
I'm 40 making 6 figures and the price of a new mustang is off-putting.

DougGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'm 40 making 6 figures and the price of a new mustang is off-putting.
Yep! I'm in the same boat over here. When I was looking for a new car I opted for a GT350 since it was cheaper than a new Mustang.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yep! I'm in the same boat over here. When I was looking for a new car I opted for a GT350 since it was cheaper than a new Mustang.
Same/similar boat here at 29yo. Went for the Bullitt. Dealer tried to talk me into 350, kind of wish I pulled the trigger, but then I'd try to baby it instead of loving every mile as a daily driver.

You're correct though about the prices and values. Ain't gonna get much better for a while.

Sponsored

DougGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Same/similar boat here at 29yo. Went for the Bullitt. Dealer tried to talk me into 350, kind of wish I pulled the trigger, but then I'd try to baby it instead of loving every mile as a daily driver.

You're correct though about the prices and values. Ain't gonna get much better for a while.
I was between a 2013 Gt500 and mine. No babying here, I daily mine 52 miles to and from work :D

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Here's is something to think about. How many more Mustang GT's could be sold if Ford offered leasing? Can you get a lease on a Camaro or Charger/Challenger?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's is something to think about. How many more Mustang GT's could be sold if Ford offered leasing? Can you get a lease on a Camaro or Charger/Challenger?
yup, across the board and I think even Hellcats. You can lease the EB.

RedBased

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Base
I'd love to see a stripped down GT. No air conditioning, rubber floor (no carpet), no back seat, none of that lane keeping, collision performance crap, no radio, analog gauges, crank handle windows, mechanical seats...zero creature-comfort type stuff at all actually. Oh, and an actual key that you stick in a hole...not $300 key fob.

Not sure if kids these days would bite though it would be cheaper to purchase that's for sure.

Then maybe Ford can go crazy with customizing options and online ordering. You could go from stripped to riced as budget allows.
I would love that. My friend and I were talking about this. Everyone should make barebone muscle cars. Even though I can afford the extras I don't like them in a "sports, couple, pony or muscle" car. Makes me think of just building an all out race car.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
When I bought my GT vert they offered me a choice of lease or buy. The numbers were not much different in the monthly payment, the lease deal was only 5 bucks a month cheaper. So for the extra 5 a month I chose to purchase.
Sponsored