Sponsored

This Is Ford's Plan To Fix The Mustang's Biggest Problem

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my GT vert they offered me a choice of lease or buy. The numbers were not much different in the monthly payment, the lease deal was only 5 bucks a month cheaper. So for the extra 5 a month I chose to purchase.
that's basically a "we don't really want to lease GTs but if you're so stupid to take it, well, we made a nice amount of money off you" lease. Kinda like USAA and writing insurance coverage on motorcycles. We'll do it, but you won't like it none.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think one significant problem limiting Mustang sales to younger people that I haven't seen mentioned is that there are a lot of voices telling kids that it's evil to have a big V8 (and that 5.0 liters is a big engine). Unfortunately the heritage of a Mustang cuts both ways. It might seem conspicuous (in a bad way) to some.

Combine that with the high price of a decently equipped model and that discourages many buyers. My Fiesta has a lot better interior and radio than my 2017 PP1 GT. Ford is trying way too hard to wring every penny from its Mustang buyers. And that's a big reason why people don't see the Mustang as an inexpensive performance vehicle anymore.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
When I bought my GT vert they offered me a choice of lease or buy. The numbers were not much different in the monthly payment, the lease deal was only 5 bucks a month cheaper. So for the extra 5 a month I chose to purchase.
Fwiw monthly payment is just about the worst possible metric to make purchase decisions on. It is incredibly easy to manipulate.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Vlad hit the nail on the head. All manufacturers have put so many safety features and electronics into their cars that the young buyer who wants performance can not afford to purchase the sporty cars. Sometimes I think the auto companies don't want the performance cars affordable to young people because they are afraid the young people are not responsible enough.
The insurance for "young people" on performance "sporty cars" is sky high. Like having another car payment.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
The insurance for "young people" on performance "sporty cars" is sky high. Like having another car payment.
Aint cheap for us old people either, and the only chargeable accidents I've had in the last 45 years were in the line of duty, and those were over 30 years ago.

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Aint cheap for us old people either, and the only chargeable accidents I've had in the last 45 years were in the line of duty, and those were over 30 years ago.
I am 60. A little over $100 per mo. Full coverage.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Normally we campare length, girth, and angle. Or where it's been lately.

Insurance rates are heavily influenced by location and local law perversions.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Normally we campare length, girth, and angle. Or where it's been lately.

Insurance rates are heavily influenced by location and local law perversions.

You would think the high rates would be in the biggest cities. Maybe small area have the biggest loses per capita?

I have a Lexus RX350,2019 Mustang GT and a 2012 Econoline van, full coverage about $325 per mo. 2 drivers in a city of 4 million.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
You would think the high rates would be in the biggest cities. Maybe small area have the biggest loses per capita?

I have a Lexus RX350,2019 Mustang GT and a 2012 Econoline van, full coverage about $325 per mo. 2 drivers in a city of 4 million.
detroit then baton rouge then new orleans are highest rates, due to rates of uninsured and just how sue happy the folks are.

Sponsored

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That is true generally I think. I think lot of young people do stay on their parents' insurance and that won't help.

However, I've never been on my parents' insurance (as they live back home in Europe) and since owning a car from the age of 19, my insurance was never horrible. Sure, on beaters I didn't carry high insurance, but for example currently with the Bullitt and wife's F150, I think about $500 deductitble on each we sit at $100/mo.
Was atrocious in Georgia, probably to account for all the nuts driving in Atlanta. In OH it is way more affordable, but am also aging and out of that 22-25yo range.

There was/is a laaaarge thread on this separately about insurance rates etc.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I should have posted this over here instead.

The most basic trim (any engine) should start with 4 pot brakes, the touch screen, the FP track dampers and sways. Active exhaust should be no more than 500. Premium trim should be 2000 upcharge. The digital dash retrofit not a penny over 800 and not exclusive to premium. $3500-4000 track pack gets you the FP tune (dealer flashed), the MR suspension (also avail seperately for $1000), 6-pot brembo, PP1 radiator, oil cooler and diff cooler. Recaro seats optioned at 800 not 1600.

Mustang is not corolla so QUIT trying to make it a wimpy-ass commuter sedan that's quiet and soft. It's not Porsche, so quit charging stupid money for minor upgrades and features.

Mopar was closed but for brief time and you can buy new cars for 7% or more below MSRP no problem. Mopar has 1500 incentive for entire year of 2021 and even now. Ford just 3 days ago put out a weak $500.

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Mopar was closed but for brief time and you can buy new cars for 7% or more below invoice no problem. Mopar has 1500 incentive for entire year of 2021 and even now. Ford just 3 days ago put out a weak $500.
Funny you mention this. Still bitter about the inability of obtaining a GT500 in the current climate, just for kicks I reached out to the salesman I bought my last Jeep from to see what deals might be there on ordering Challengers. Long story short, I could buy ANY of them below sticker. Not that Ford seems to care, but this is why Challenger ate Mustang's lunch last year.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Let me throw out another perspective on where "impractical" and rising transportation costs are steering product entry points. Yes, newer cars are expensive relatively speaking, but if this is the perception, then why not accept that the "step onto" plateau for these types of vehicles is going to be an "older" demographic and drive sales by advertising on the appropriate media platforms for those demographics?

If cost is the main driver here, then the new Maverick is certainly resetting the bar for entry level vehicles. Maybe this is one of the reasons why Ford has stopped taking orders on these. Maybe as the "affordable" Mustang of the past has grown up, it has grown into a different market strata. I don't know that anything is necessarily wrong with this other than folks resetting their expectations.
Sponsored