The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

M.A.N.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger 2018 F-150 2014 GT500
Its funny how when I started this thread how people were making aluminum hat jokes and hinted of paranoia. Hardly anyone knew anything about the data collection. Well, now they do. The linked article pertains to how data is used and shared with insurance companies. What the article does not discuss is how Ford is using the data. You may be able to opt out of insurance related data sharing, but unless you disable the modem, the data stream is still broadcasting back to mother Ford.

From the article:

“Ford is committed to connecting our customers to valuable services that can help them reduce their total cost of ownership and get more out of their Ford vehicle – usage-based insurance is a great opportunity to do that,” said Alex Purdy, director of business operations, enterprise connectivity, Ford Motor Company.

“The addition of Ford to the Verisk Data Exchange will help the growing number of insurers looking to expand their UBI programs with connected cars,” added Karthik Balakrishnan, general manager of Verisk’s telematics business. “We’re excited to connect Ford drivers with these insurers and, most importantly, make it easier for everyone to benefit from UBI.”

Currently, the Exchange contains 6.6 million vehicles and 175 billion miles of driving data, and continues to grow by over 200,000 new vehicles every month.
Tom I've been trying to keep up with all of this, the thing I know lest about is anything to do with
a computer. lol

So do I have this right, on my 19 GT350 if I call and cancel my Ford Pass and pull fuse # 10
should take of it sending info back to Ford? Or is it not that simple.
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
That info is on the screen in the car:

4C8283D9-D338-4D1D-9921-BFBAA6E1A28C.jpeg

7E0D471F-9D90-4D9E-9E30-CEC8CFE60572.jpeg

The vast majority of people want this service. But they allow you to opt out on the previous screen:

7A3BCD09-A71D-4CBC-9DA7-52F8389A0BF6.jpeg

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Just because you "opt out" doesn't mean it has stopped "collecting" information. It just means that you have not given them permission. :)

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just because you "opt out" doesn't mean it has stopped "collecting" information. It just means that you have not given them permission. :)
Exactly. It means that the wolf won't eat your sheep because you've asked him nicely.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom I've been trying to keep up with all of this, the thing I know lest about is anything to do with
a computer. lol

So do I have this right, on my 19 GT350 if I call and cancel my Ford Pass and pull fuse # 10
should take of it sending info back to Ford? Or is it not that simple.
I would go to the modem in your trunk and disconnect every wire. I did a writeup earlier in this thread.

I'm not sure which fuse, because they vary. The gt500 is in the passenger side (at the kick plate) fuse #8 I believe. The GT350? Not sure.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Tom, do you happen to know how to make the car forget that it has ever had a TCU? I.e. what configuration changes must be done with ForScan?
I unplugged the modem and 4G antenna, and now the BCM, APIM and DSP complain about the loss of communication with the TCU. I could just ignore the DTCs, but it would be nice if I could suppress them for good.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom, do you happen to know how to make the car forget that it has ever had a TCU? I.e. what configuration changes must be done with ForScan?
I unplugged the modem and 4G antenna, and now the BCM, APIM and DSP complain about the loss of communication with the TCU. I could just ignore the DTCs, but it would be nice if I could suppress them for good.
Vlad, That approach was examined. As far as I know, nobody has attempted it and I don't think anyone will go to the lengths required. That is way above my knowledge of Forscan. Anyone over time could probably figure it out, but I don't see the need.

I don't get any active trouble codes or CEL light. If it is just something going on in the background, why worry about it?

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
That's interesting, mine doesn't complain. The only time it's noticeable is if I were to try to turn on the in-car Wi-Fi hotspot or communicate with Ford Pass.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Mine doesn't actually complain either; maybe I didn't use the right word. There's no visible error message, no warning light on the dash, no nothing. But when I connect with ForScan I can see some DTCs stored. It's no big deal, but I thought I'd ask anyway, just in case there was a way to suppress them.
I've even managed to hide the FordPass icon from the Sync settings page. Now everything looks and feels as if I hadn't got a modem in the first place. But it still complains internally, in its internal error logs.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
An update for anyone who has any interest in the antenna array on job 2 cars (shark fin style). There is a secondary antenna on the parcel shelf so it seems. This was discovered when I was installing my roll cage. While I had the opportunity, I pulled the shelf liner and took some photos.

There are 2 coax cables connected to the TCU modem. One goes to the shark fin antenna, and the other goes to the secondary auxiliary antenna on the parcel shelf (PIFA antenna).

Disabling the TCU modem is the same procedure, either pull the fuse or locate the modem and disconnect all leads to it.

See the photo below of the PIFA (Planar Inverted F Antenna) located on the parcel shelf.

20201027_151654.jpg

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
just found this thread, holy crap. All this unnecessary tech, wires, computerized boxes, monitoring devices, data collection on our muscle cars. WTF? So much to go wrong over time, so much overcomplicated tech. Our favorite cars becoming computers with wheels.

This is why I have almost no interest in new cars anymore. It's sort of a blessing, really.

rhino20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500 (Chassis L2023)
As I mentioned, the shark antenna uses a different plastic connector (blue). I was able to locate it via mouser electronics. I ordered 25 pieces. If anyone would like to swap antennas, PM me and I would be happy to send you the plastic part that you would need. They are currently backordered, so I will just rob the plastic connector off my original antenna and replace it when the item is shipped to me.

connector.jpg
Tom,

Finally got around to swapping out my antenna and forgot about the connector. Did you ever receive these from Mouser? If not, did the connector survive when you removed it from the shark fin antenna?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom,

Finally got around to swapping out my antenna and forgot about the connector. Did you ever receive these from Mouser? If not, did the connector survive when you removed it from the shark fin antenna?

Thanks!
Yes I did. Let me know if you'd like one. Its the generic non ford version, but it is the same part minus a proprietary (non important) feature).

Sorry for the late reply

rhino20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT500 (Chassis L2023)
Yes I did. Let me know if you'd like one. Its the generic non ford version, but it is the same part minus a proprietary (non important) feature).

Sorry for the late reply
Tom, thanks for the reply. I was having several warranty issues, some small, some not so small, taken care of on Friday at my dealership and I had a couple of the service techs take care of my antenna swap for me. The lead tech, who is pretty damn good, was able to unlock the original connector from the shark fin antenna without any damage so I was able to reuse it with my puck antenna. Thanks for the offer, very generous of you.

Thanks again for the reply. I am sending you a PM with photos of my OEM brake pads which I removed today, with the help of the dealership tech, who is a heck of a guy and one of the reasons I am loyal to my dealership.
Sponsored