The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
This thread needs a bump, its way too important to forget about. My car insurance went up 43% they said inflation was the only reason. I do live in Florida, there are a lot of factors I'm sure, being they now have proof I do drive my car the way its supposed to be driven, I do work 86 miles round trip all interstate 5 days a week . Its heavy traffic and people can't drive. There are sudden stops and I do accelerate onto highway and etc... But 6 months ago there was a lot too. I have no accident or tickets the only thing that has changed is Ford pass on my Mach1 3 months ago. I will delete it and do some of the things listed. I am afraid its too late now...
This reminds us all that every time we put our data into the hands of somebody that is not us, that somebody else does what it wants with our data.

Humanity needs to better understand this concept, everybody thinks that their private data has no value. It the latter was the case, why everybody is trying to collect the most quantity of telemetry possible out of every one of us?

BTW, I didn't pull the fuse, just opt out of the connectivity options in Sync. That disables the TCU connectivity to the GSM network (observed via Forscan).
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
This reminds us all that every time we put our data into the hands of somebody that is not us, that somebody else does what it wants with our data.

Humanity needs to better understand this concept, everybody thinks that their private data has no value. It the latter was the case, why everybody is trying to collect the most quantity of telemetry possible out of every one of us?

BTW, I didn't pull the fuse, just opt out of the connectivity options in Sync. That disables the TCU connectivity to the GSM network (observed via Forscan).
You may have opted out, but the data is still transmitting.

What Ford does with it, who knows.

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER

Obviously, removing the TCU unit in the trunk will stop the transmission. But at what point are we safe without going to extremes?

1. Do not accept the terms and conditions of FordPass Connect
2. Do not create an account on Ford website (which requires agreeing to #1)
3. Opt out on sync in your car
4. Pull out the telemetry fuse on the passenger side
5. Physically remove or disconnect the TCU unit in the trunk

I am at step #3. Am considering step #4. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll do #5 ever.

GR1MxREAPER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If they cared about any of this data really then they wouldnā€™t of replaced 1000 GT350 engines when they were exploding lolā€¦ if your motor isnā€™t tuned ford doesnā€™t seem to deny any warranty work at all engine wise if you have a warranty still and people drive these cars like a 4yr old playing with toy cars lol.. vehicles have had this technology for 10 + years already so donā€™t worry about it.

GR1MxREAPER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Obviously, removing the TCU unit in the trunk will stop the transmission. But at what point are we safe without going to extremes?

Tearing out all that stuff will void your warranty in seconds lol.. Not having a warranty on your brand new $70000 dark horse in its first year with a first year motor is a great idea lol wtfā€¦ you guys are insane thinking about doing #5 on that list lol. I canā€™t wait for the first post. ā€œFord denied my warranty cause I tore out a bunch of electronics that were tracking meā€ šŸ˜³šŸ˜†

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tearing out all that stuff will void your warranty in seconds lol.. Not having a warranty on your brand new $70000 dark horse in its first year with a first year motor is a great idea lol wtfā€¦ you guys are insane even thinking about doing 4 let alone 5 on that list lol. I canā€™t wait for the first post. ā€œFord denied my warranty cause I tore out a bunch of electronics that were tracking meā€ šŸ˜³šŸ˜†
How did you deduce that?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
If they cared about any of this data really then they wouldnā€™t of replaced 1000 GT350 engines when they were exploding lolā€¦ if your motor isnā€™t tuned ford doesnā€™t seem to deny any warranty work at all engine wise if you have a warranty still and people drive these cars like a 4yr old playing with toy cars lol.. vehicles have had this technology for 10 + years already so donā€™t worry about it.
2019 is when Ford started building this into the 350s. It's not 2029. It hasn't been 10 years.

Trolling are we?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

Why? Its been 3 years with no problems.

I blew my half shafts on the track with the TCU disconnected. Ford covered under warranty. TCU was disconnected. Same story with other warranty items, TCU disconnected and Ford paid it out.

Disconnecting the TCU does not void the warranty.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on 'option 4' and have had 3 annual services and 'quite a lot' of warranty work done on the car ... :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
If they cared about any of this data really then they wouldnā€™t of replaced 1000 GT350 engines when they were exploding lol
That's because they didn't have this data back then. And maybe just maybe Ford didn't want to deal with replacing thousands of engines again for their own design failures, so they decided to install tracking software to aid in their ability to deny claims.

They can't really deny claims if they have no data behind it, but now they have all these telematics that they can easily say that the car was used in a way that is considered abuse or out of it's designed intentions and deny warranty.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)

It doesn't. I have checked with Forscan and the module does disconnect from the GSM network when you opt out of "Vehicle connectivity" in Sync.
Check my previous post on the subject: (1) The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread | Page 22 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

As far as my knowledge and testing goes, that is all you need to kill it. Sure you can overkill it by taking down it's power source but it seems just superfluous to me when there is a simpler way to accomplish the same task.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)

You're fine. You don't need to pull anything. Check post: (1) The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread | Page 22 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't. I have checked with Forscan and the module does disconnect from the GSM network when you opt out of "Vehicle connectivity" in Sync.
Check my previous post on the subject: (1) The "how to disable the data link to Ford" thread | Page 22 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

As far as my knowledge and testing goes, that is all you need to kill it. Sure you can overkill it by taking down it's power source but it seems just superfluous to me when there is a simpler way to accomplish the same task.
I think you are incorrect on that. A while back I bought a Trifield EMF meter (TF2) to verify that the car was still transmitting. It was. Did you verify the transmission of cellular data had ceased with any external measuring equipment?

I applaud any work that stops the data transmission without having to pull fuses or harnesses. Please verify your findings via external measurements.

Last edited:

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I'm confused as to why people would jump on this thread, to denounce or come up with a reason why someone should not do this. If you don't want to disconnect, fine. What is the point of trying to convince people not to do this? If you are afraid you will lose your warranty, or you're just generally a scared person and like the idea of big brother having a little bit more of your data, then go away. Keep your car connected, and carry on.
Sponsored