The big Intercooler thread.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
i did my first "track" day and on the third session my manifold temp was in the 150+. i did have the A/C on the first two sessions and my airbox temp was 99 during the third session. there was 40 minutes between sessions to cool down which i had the hood open and used a leafblower. i did revert back to the base map. is this temp because of the relatively slow speed of the track and hot air getting trapped in the engine bay? my AP did show a peek inferred temp of 1700 for the cat.

Why did you install a street IC when you knew you wanted to track it? Always buy your last upgrade first.
Sponsored

BoostedNate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Why did you install a street IC when you knew you wanted to track it? Always buy your last upgrade first.
Agreed. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't heat soak is still an issue even with a larger FMIC during the hot summer? The only real solution is to install heat extractors in the hood, or in some cases a larger radiator.

BoostedNate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
i did my first "track" day and on the third session my manifold temp was in the 150+. i did have the A/C on the first two sessions and my airbox temp was 99 during the third session. there was 40 minutes between sessions to cool down which i had the hood open and used a leafblower. i did revert back to the base map. is this temp because of the relatively slow speed of the track and hot air getting trapped in the engine bay? my AP did show a peek inferred temp of 1700 for the cat.
Depending on what state you live in you may want to consider looking into getting a cat-less down pipe, if you don't have one already. Also might want to look at heat extractors.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
yes i planned on tracking it when i bought the street, although i did not have this track in mind, i had faster ones in mind.

here is a datalog from a 1/4 mile pass. Car was sitting in the staging lanes with the hood open for about 40 minutes after first pass, running intermittently. ambient temp was about 60. unfortunately this is the only of the 3 passes i was able to datalog for. As far as cat goes my state doesn't require emissions tests, although i don't want to buy a catless/catted downpipe right now

CAC.JPG

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Wagner competition was reliably holding intake temps to 7-9F over ambient. No intercooler is going to do diddly squat unless it has about 30mph of air flowing thru it.

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I installed an aftermarket intercooler a couple years ago. No issues with intercooler heatsoak at the track, regardless of ambient temp, full boost as long as I want, all day, etc. The bigger problem with these cars on track is coolant and oil temps. I have the larger PP radiator and a Mishimoto oil cooler. Still can't run hard for more than 15 min on track before high oil temps cause the ECU to pull boost. I can't even consider a tune until I get the cooling system to a point where it can handle stock power levels.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Check out the thickness of the Pro charger stage2 intercooler. It keeps my iat’s within 5 degrees of ambient temps consistently.

https://ibb.co/m5F97zz

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can't even consider a tune until I get the cooling system to a point where it can handle stock power levels.
The tune isn't for more power, it for *correct* power delivery. You owe it to yourself to try one even if it doesn't give you a single HP. I can't stand driving the factory EB or even the HPP.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
The tune isn't for more power, it for *correct* power delivery. You owe it to yourself to try one even if it doesn't give you a single HP. I can't stand driving the factory EB or even the HPP.
Yes, but...increasing boost, increases power (torque). With increased power comes increased heat, no way around it. So, more power for a few quick bursts on the street, or dragstrip, is fine. But to do it constantly, for 20-30 min in a HPDE event, is a whole different world. Yes, I could install a tune for street use, which admittedly, would be fun. But honestly, I'm fine with the stock power level on the street. So I'll continue to work on the cooling. Once that is sorted, then I may add a tune.

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 ecoboost premium mustang
I can answer some questions on the speed factory race inter cooler.
Easy install being you arent saving any of the plastic air shutter so no need to be careful.
Not easy but i was able to install without jacking car up. Dont like how the connections to stock piping is because the intercooler piping is smooth no ridges and these clamps , well everyone knows about and hates them. So im staying local till im sure they are tight. Other than that i can hear the difference when car starts and certainly feel it under acceleration, id swear the car shifts smoother when Sunday driving. In couple weeks will be adding the waste gate and Adam tune.
Thats the cooler Adam suggested, he said dont waste money on intakes and downpipe. Add Catback only if looking for sound. Mad respect for honesty and i havent even had the pleasure yet of the tune he is known for.

Sponsored

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 ecoboost premium mustang
Pre intercooler my best flat foot 0-60 no launch was 6.4 on Cobb stage1, after intercooler Cobb stage2 5.6.

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
So my charge air temps lately have been imo "high"... It was 70° here in pa yesterday and after driving stop and go and a couple hard accelerations temps crept up to into the 130's and eventually settling around the 106-111 range.

I've got an NX2, catted DP, stock charge pipes mated to a cv fab street intercooler.

It's going away for a short block here on Sunday but I'm wondering while it's getting installed if I should invest in a race intercooler and aftermarket charge pipes?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
IC don't work at all in stap/go. Once you got to say 30mph did the temps come down to <10F over ambient and within say 2 minutes? If so your IC is fine. If it takes 5-10min at a steady >25MPH for your IT to come down, your IC sucks.

Cmw458

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow black ford mustang ecoboost premium PP
IC don't work at all in stap/go. Once you got to say 30mph did the temps come down to <10F over ambient and within say 2 minutes? If so your IC is fine. If it takes 5-10min at a steady >25MPH for your IT to come down, your IC sucks.
10...hell no. Probably 25-30 from what I was seeing. Tomorrow is the last day I have it before it goes out for the block and it's supposed to be 77° here so I'll run it for a bit on the highway and see how it goes.

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
So my charge air temps lately have been imo "high"... It was 70° here in pa yesterday and after driving stop and go and a couple hard accelerations temps crept up to into the 130's and eventually settling around the 106-111 range.

I've got an NX2, catted DP, stock charge pipes mated to a cv fab street intercooler.

It's going away for a short block here on Sunday but I'm wondering while it's getting installed if I should invest in a race intercooler and aftermarket charge pipes?
As was said stop and go traffic isn't a great way to measure effectiveness. There's a bit more to it than simply saying <10 degrees over ambient is the goal (such as is it the first pull or several, is the ambient 70 or 90?, etc.)

Normal for the Street IC in hotter temps. (60-70 degrees) on the first pulls is is 10-15 over ambient. This is shown on the charts on the product page.

For hotter weather - especially pushing more power - the Race does make a difference, for sure.
Sponsored