Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
Mass. Near Springfield.
Visually we could make something that looks to the eye as the same but thicken the mount up slightly and provide more robust mounts due to the street nature of the 500 requiring more robust design. We could even make from Ti (pricey but light) or the aluminum but anodized in a flat black or gloss black or other color (none would be a paint match). Options are wide open at this point.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If it's machined out of billet, there wouldn't be any welds, would there Tom?

I think the cost will be prohibitive. Honestly, I'm fine with the stock wing but it: 1) screws up the rear view and 2) it's a PITA to wash being so close to the deck lid. Small potatoes, I know. Aerodynamically? I don't have a clue which would be better on the track. If the wing gets clean air over it, does it matter how high it is? I dunno.

I'll be curious to hear what the projected cost is for the billet machining and anodizing from either source.
Mayne I'm mistaken, but the uprights are welded to the base.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I would call the fine folks at APR Performance. They are quite nice to deal with and no BS.

-Todd

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Why not just replace the riser with a taller one? I think I’ve said this multiple times but apparently it’s not getting through?
?
I've mentioned numerous times how the manufacturer won't sell them to the public and that you might get lucky by contacting a team that runs a GT4 Mustang in a given series. I stated that you are gonna need a 5-axis to do the base (of the upright) if a GT4 style mount is what you seek. Short of that, I mentioned extending the factory CFTP uprights, ala the Porsche (etc) aftermarket and admitted it wouldn't be what I would want but that somebody else might want to consider it. Did any of that get through? If you want a taller one that go ahead and get it done, it'd be great if that opportunity existed.

I want an exact replica of the multimatic mounts with the exception of working with a CFTP wing (if there is a difference).
Two things. One, I highly suggest a patent search to see what , if any, rights are claimed and how far they extend. And two, I would not be a man of my word if I facilitated replication when I made it clear I wouldn't do that. Might not mean much to some here but it does to me. So I'll happily talk about what the hardware consists of or hypotheticals but can't go further than that. Sorry.

An exact copy of the GT4 will be difficult, since only one person on this fourm has one.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/cftp-wing-by-mpr-performance.147359/page-5#post-3020955

Mayne I'm mistaken, but the uprights are welded to the base.
The ladder-section of the upright is water/laser cut aluminum plate. The base portion is fully machined (underside as well) and is slotted to accept the vertical section and the two are then tig welded to form a single assembly.

The GT4 and the CFTP upright differ in how they attach to their respective wings. Mixing the two can be done (see JG's example in the link I posted above) but it is not without caveat. So you end up reaming/drilling holes and are limited in terms of AOA adjustment.

From an actual GT4 car...
i-4B9xnw8-X2.jpg

CFTP...
steeda-2020-shelby-gt500-cftp-4 CROP.jpg

The simplest method is a scan of any CFTP mount available across the USA, then inserted into a given CAD program. The base is merely two contoured rectangular legs which meet to form a single "L" section, with the requisite fastener holes on the underside. The ladder section will end up being a hybrid of sorts with plenty of freedom in terms of design but the assumption would be that most would want it to not stray away from the OEM aesthetic. Just "taller" as Evolvd has asked for. Assuming the material of choice is aluminum, the two can be designed to mate either mechanically or via welding. The top of the upright can mimic the CFTP adjustment points of which there are two choices - or get crazy and design it for multiple mounting points for a wider range of AOA adjustment. The challenge behind any of this is when you design by committee, only a few are happy. If it were me, I'd do as I suggested and if somebody doesn't want/like it, fine. Do it yourself then.

Last edited:

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
?
I've mentioned numerous times how the manufacturer won't sell them to the public and that you might get lucky by contacting a team that runs a GT4 Mustang in a given series. I stated that you are gonna need a 5-axis to do the base (of the upright) if a GT4 style mount is what you seek. Short of that, I mentioned extending the factory CFTP uprights, ala the Porsche (etc) aftermarket and admitted it wouldn't be what I would want but that somebody else might want to consider it. Did any of that get through? If you want a taller one that go ahead and get it done, it'd be great if that opportunity existed.
It was my mistake then, I assumed you were talking about adding a piece to extend them, not replace the riser. It didn’t appear my idea was being conveyed correctly and I felt like I was talking to myself. I stand corrected.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EF300

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
@Epiphany, I understand why you don’t feel right about sharing the specific details. I totally respect that. It would be nice to come up with a solution. I think the easiest thing would be to mimic the stock uprights and extend them. Machine the uprights and base out of aluminum, TIG weld them together and then anodized them.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
@Epiphany, I understand why you don’t feel right about sharing the specific details. I totally respect that. It would be nice to come up with a solution. I think the easiest thing would be to mimic the stock uprights and extend them. Machine the uprights and base out of aluminum, TIG weld them together and then anodized them.
I think he may have thrown us a bone so to speak. The parent info may have mechanical drawings.

OP
OP
EF300

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think he may have thrown us a bone so to speak. The parent info may have mechanical drawings.
I did a brief search but I couldn’t find squat. Multimatic seems to have two other wings patented. I am super tired , worked all night maybe I’ll take a look again in a few hours.

Anyone else with patent search experience feel free to take a crack.

Again I absolutely do not want to infringe on anyone’s patent. But it would be useful just to get an idea of how much bigger it is.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I did a brief search but I couldn’t find squat. Multimatic seems to have two other wings patented. I am super tired , worked all night maybe I’ll take a look again in a few hours.

Anyone else with patent search experience feel free to take a crack.

Again I absolutely do not want to infringe on anyone’s patent. But it would be useful just to get an idea of how much bigger it is.
@Epiphany is the king of patent information. I recall during the GT500 development, he came up with all kinds of stuff.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I may be completely off but extending the current model would need extensive testing to make sure the downforce of air flow doesn't buckle the uprights or bend the trunk lid, more than likely it probably wouldn't but based on pictures you looking at about a 3" extension of the current bracket. Obviously the current is chopped carbon and the higher will not be, but you still have to be sure. Just throwing that out there as its not as simple as making it longer.

Again, I can be completely way off base.

Sponsored
OP
OP
EF300

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I may be completely off but extending the current model would need extensive testing to make sure the downforce of air flow doesn't buckle the uprights or bend the trunk lid, more than likely it probably wouldn't but based on pictures you looking at about a 3" extension of the current bracket. Obviously the current is chopped carbon and the higher will not be, but you still have to be sure. Just throwing that out there as its not as simple as making it longer.

Well as long as it holds up in the Starbucks drive-through I’ll be good. !

I am being facetious I intend to track the car at Sebring so that may actually be a concern that I did not think about.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have the data to back up any claim as to a specific increase of negative lift at a given speed due to relocating the airfoil higher up in the airstream. I can only say the factory steel decklid handles it with ease. Multimatics hardware is used on a lightweight GT4 CF decklid that does not appear to have additional structural reinforcement either.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

Im your 181 mph testbed. All I need is to borrow your wing. I'll take good care of it....I promise.

Better yet, give it to goose, he does those kinds of speeds on public streets.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anybody have a portable scanner and a CFTP car to play with?

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg
Sponsored