You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I will be trading my base wing plus $5000 for a CFTP wing. Comments/opinions would be appreciated, thanks.
Your money, you decision. Only you have to be happy with that.

That said, jump on that deal, it's well worth it in my opinion.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I would say its not worth it. MPR will soon have a replica for 3k. It will be exact OEM.

People seem to be focusing on the MSRP parts price for the wing. There have been examples of used beat up wings selling for less. If the deal isn't tome sensitive, I would wait for MPR to see what comes of that. The prototype is complete and undergoing testing. You should know very soon.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will be trading my base wing plus $5000 for a CFTP wing. Comments/opinions would be appreciated, thanks.
I would say its not worth it. MPR will soon have a replica for 3k. It will be exact OEM.

People seem to be focusing on the MSRP parts price for the wing. There have been examples of used beat up wings selling for less. If the deal isn't tome sensitive, I would wait for MPR to see what comes of that. The prototype is complete and undergoing testing. You should know very soon.
Again your money, your decision. I just wanted to add some more info to help you make your decision.

The MPR will be a very nice wing I am sure. However, it will be an "exact replica", not the exact factory optioned wing. This may not matter to you, but it definitely matters to some of us. Also, the MPR wing will come with aluminum brackets, not the unobtainable carbon fiber brackets that come on the OEM wing. Lastly, the dog bones (in factory form) are unobtainable, and the MPR will come with replica dog bones.

None of this may matter to you, I just wanted you to know that they are not the same, wing for wing.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
If there is nothing wrong with it then 5K isnt bad at all, I would do that deal, but why your base wing for trade? Do what you feel you want to do, only you will be happy.

Tom true, but if you do the math, the difference between his and MPR in cost is about 1K cause MPR is doing the wing for $3500 (Unless something has changed) plus tax plus 200 shipping, for me came to just shy of 4K, I got my wing OEM for 4K with $60.00 shipping, just have to refinish it for the scratches, so all in all its about the same, plus theirs is still not out yet, and I had been waiting since last Oct and they still just 2 wks ago told me there was no eta for the wing. But everyone has a threshold and I didnt want to wait anymore.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Again your money, your decision. I just wanted to add some more info to help you make your decision.

The MPR will be a very nice wing I am sure. However, it will be an "exact replica", not the exact factory optioned wing. This may not matter to you, but it definitely matters to some of us. Also, the MPR wing will come with aluminum brackets, not the unobtainable carbon fiber brackets that come with the OEM wing. Lastly, the dog bones (in factory form) are unobtainable, and the MPR will come with replica dog bones.

None of this may matter to you, I just wanted you to know that they are not the same, wing for wing.
Exact factory vs exact replica really doesn't matter, especially when it wasnt optioned on the car to begin with.

The aftermarket dog bones are the same as OEM. So no difference there.

As for the OEM mounts, yes there is a difference. FWIW, the OEM mounts are essentially flawed in design anyway. The rubber oring leaks water and will corrode the drilled holes over time. I think that it is such a simple part that they could be replicated without too much difficulty. They are not exposed carbon fiber, but instead forged CF and painted black. I should look into making a set, it wouldn't be that hard.

I may also end up reaching out to the MFG and asking if I could obtain a set that is flawed. Thats the beauty of forged and painted CF.... repairs are easy.

I would seriously wait to see what MPR comes up with.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Exact factory vs exact replica really doesn't matter, especially when it wasnt optioned on the car to begin with.

The aftermarket dog bones are the same as OEM. So no difference there.

As for the OEM mounts, yes there is a difference. FWIW, the OEM mounts are essentially flawed in design anyway. The rubber oring leaks water and will corrode the drilled holes over time. I think that it is such a simple part that they could be replicated without too much difficulty. They are not exposed carbon fiber, but instead forged CF and painted black. I should look into making a set, it wouldn't be that hard.

I may also end up reaching out to the MFG and asking if I could obtain a set that is flawed. Thats the beauty of forged and painted CF.... repairs are easy.

I would seriously wait to see what MPR comes up with.

Replica matters to some. Makes a big difference to me.

The replica dogbones are not the same. I have 3 sets of them, and not one of the (6) pieces have the mounting holes drilled centered to the countersink. There are others that have said the same thing. Does this matter? Not really, but it leans to my point that a replica is not the same.

We have spoken about this on the phone. You have made it clear that getting an OEM wing does not matter to you, and that fine. I am only trying to help the guy make his own decision.

As Mike said, the replicas are not coming any time soon

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Replica matters to some. Makes a big difference to me.

The replica dogbones are not the same. I have 3 sets of them, and not one of the (6) pieces have the mounting holes drilled centered to the countersink. There are others that have said the same thing. Does this matter? Not really, but it leans to my point that a replica is not the same.

We have spoken about this on the phone. You have made it clear that getting an OEM wing does not matter to you, and that fine. I am only trying to help the guy make his own decision.

As Mike said, the replicas are not coming any time soon
We will never agree on this.

For the OP, decisions are made based upon receiving all information and then taking the action that suits his situation best.

My perspective is just one of the other options that the OP will consider. Face it, the OEM wing is a Chinese mass produced item that carries a huge price tag only because it is made for FoMoCo. It certainly isn't a masterpiece of exceptional craftsmanship. It is a part that is rare only because of a very strict supply chain and a hugly inflated price tag.

I understand your position Jamie, but just because it is OEM, doesn't make anyone's car any closer to a CFTP. That lies within the VIN. If you like the wing, get the wing. If anyone wants to pay a crap load of money for the wing, then do so. Just understand that if you pay an absurd amount of money for something that only costs peanuts to make, then how can you justify that when you can buy an exact replica for a lot less?

If i was in the market for a wing, which i am, I'd be happy with an exact replica. That's all I was saying.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We will never agree on this.

For the OP, decisions are made based upon receiving all information and then taking the action that suits his situation best.

My perspective is just one of the other options that the OP will consider. Face it, the OEM wing is a Chinese mass produced item that carries a huge price tag only because it is made for FoMoCo. It certainly isn't a masterpiece of exceptional craftsmanship. It is a part that is rare only because of a very strict supply chain and a hugly inflated price tag.

I understand your position Jamie, but just because it is OEM, doesn't make anyone's car any closer to a CFTP. That lies within the VIN. If you like the wing, get the wing. If anyone wants to pay a crap load of money for the wing, then do so. Just understand that if you pay an absurd amount of money for something that only costs peanuts to make, then how can you justify that when you can buy an exact replica for a lot less?

If i was in the market for a wing, which i am, I'd be happy with an exact replica. That's all I was saying.
I gave the OP both fact and my opinion about OEM vs replica, that's all I wanted to do. He will decide what he thinks is important to him.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Considering the cost of a genuine CFTP wing from Ford, along with the cost of the factory Swing spoiler, I'd say that 5k is entirely reasonable. It is hard getting used to these kinds of numbers but isn't it always like this?

I assume since the Swing will be gone that you are just going to rework your original decklid (fill the center holes, drill the holes for the dogbones, prep and paint), yes? I had an extra decklid done and I think I paid ~$350 (paint was another $100).

Looking forward to seeing the before/after!

Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Considering the cost of a genuine CFTP wing from Ford, along with the cost of the factory Swing spoiler, I'd say that 5k is entirely reasonable. It is hard getting used to these kinds of numbers but isn't it always like this?

I assume since the Swing will be gone that you are just going to rework your original decklid (fill the center holes, drill the holes for the dogbones, prep and paint), yes? I had an extra decklid done and I think I paid ~$350 (paint was another $100).

Looking forward to seeing the before/after!
Just quoting your response because you mentioned the deck lid and the base wing.

I am looking to do as min as possible to disrupt the original paint and not have to blend ay paint, having said that, the base wing has 7 holes in the decklid, there is 2 holes that will be re-used with either wing, which is in the corner, to the left is another hole, which if I am correct on either side will be covered by the bracket and won't be seen (Will be adding a gasket around the mounting bracket for water) so I don't see a need to fill the holes on either side. (Already have screenshots of the holes in the decklid for reviewing with my Auto body shop to see the best minimal way to do this).

The one thats going to be the issue is the 3 in the middle that the base mounts to, 1 is a "pilot" hole and the other 2 are mount (screwed) holes, which if I am right would go under the new black stripes, the only one that might stick out is the pilot hole. But trying to cover the 3 middle holes without messing up the paint too much but we will see. Since I caught my white whale last Friday and came in today :)

My White Whale (OEM)
2021-06-21 17.48.24.jpg

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've done this three times now (spoiler/wing on a decklid that had to be prepped/painted). The key lies in matching the paint. I take my gas cap cover off and bring it to my paint distributor who then matches as best as possible - no blending nearby panels. I favor having the center holes welded up and then the entire decklid painted/cleared. Cost has always been reasonable.

I laid out and drilled an extra decklid I had on hand...

i-d5j5kSD-X2.jpg

i-JDcrtTP-XL.jpg

This, my original Base GT500 decklid. Note that it doesn't have the holes for the dogbones...

i-NQ92sPT-L.jpg

...and my formerly red decklid all painted up and being mounted in position.

i-zZvkhrD-L.jpg

i-KrhLLSW-L.jpg

i-9PqPDH3-L.jpg

i-j2dtt69-XL.jpg

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I've done this three times now (spoiler/wing on a decklid that had to be prepped/painted). The key lies in matching the paint. I take my gas cap cover off and bring it to my paint distributor who then matches as best as possible - no blending nearby panels. I favor having the center holes welded up and then the entire decklid painted/cleared. Cost has always been reasonable.

I laid out and drilled an extra decklid I had on hand...

i-d5j5kSD-X2.jpg
Question, do you have a copy of that template I can use? I downloaded KB's template but the dogbone holes are off a bit after fitting the guide screw.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question, do you have a copy of that template I can use? I downloaded KB's template but the dogbone holes are off a bit after fitting the guide screw.
I too would like it.
I just grabbed whatever paper I had laying around and took my time making an accurate trace and then cut it out with scissors. I then carefully punched through where the three holes are in the upright base and then trimmed them to be concentric to their respective hole. Pretty easy, just takes a little time. Then I taped the template to the upright base, along with some strips of tape that were upside down. With the uprights installed on the wing, I set the entire assembly atop the decklid and let the contours dictate where it needed to be and carefully measured both sides to make sure they were the same. I then stuck the upside down tape to the decklid and carefully removed the tape that adhered the template to the base - boom, that's where she goes. I also checked the dogbone, placing it where it wanted to be and measured it to see if the holes would line up. They did, perfectly.

IMG_9199-L.jpg

IMG_9181-L.jpg

IMG_9193-M.jpg

The single, non-dogbone template hole on each side will line up with the existing hole so you just have to be sure the dogbone holes are right. Then punch, drill and verify.

IMG_9206-XL.jpg

IMG_9207-XL.jpg

IMG_9208-L.jpg

Of note...look carefully at the bolt holes for the dogbones. If you were to measure from the bolt hole center (or the edge of the holes you drilled, doesn't matter) to the edge of the decklid with a square, you'd see that the holes are on a slight skew and not the same distance from the edge of the decklid. Don't worry, this is correct. Both the driver side and the passenger side are like this. They base wants them like that so don't think something is wrong. All the cars I studied closely were like this.

IMG_9210-XL.jpg

IMG_9211-XL.jpg

The GT4 upright bases bolt directly to the decklid without any type of gasket. Since I didn't fill any of the existing unused holes that would be hidden under each base, and because I didn't want to crack the freshly painted decklid, I made some base gaskets from some reinforced sheet rubber I have. Again, a simple trace , cut and punch for the holes. I used two way adhesive on the rubber to base interface and put nothing on the side that would touch the decklid.

5P1A0078-L.jpg

z5P1A0081-XL.jpg

z5P1A0082-XL.jpg

Again, note how with everything installed, the dogbone wants to fit the contours of the underside of the decklid such that it is slightly askew (hence why they nip the bottom of the bone near the edge).

z5P1A0087-X3.jpg

Everything in place and bolted up, you can see how both the dogbone and the upright base fit the decklid contour perfectly. Not sure if any aftermarket wing bases will match up this well.

z5P1A0100-X3.jpg
Sponsored