Sponsored

CFTP Wing by MPR Performance

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I've been through this a few times so hopefully my experience here can help.

I had a 2009 GT500 that I bought new - great car. Modified everything. I wanted a cleaner look and yanked all the stripes, considered blasphemy at the time from everyone with a keyboard. I also wanted a cleaner look out back. I removed the stock rear spoiler and swapped it for a KR/V6 S197 spoiler. I then decided to purchase a new factory decklid, weld the holes shut for the emblem as well as for the third brake light (I relocated it to the exact same location Ford uses on the S550 - Ford saw the change and quickly realized they needed to mimic it:)). Anyway, be forewarned that even new in the box, direct through the dealer parts network, that the decklids need work.

Photo09210959_1.jpg

Photo09231317_1.jpg

Photo09271343.jpg

Untitledkkk.jpg

Yes, I upset the aerodynamic balance, flew off the track and died a fiery death all in search of a more sano appearance. Thankfully I cloned myself and can keep posting.

I modded my 2016 GT350 quite a bit as well. I added a CF R style wing and did the same thing by purchasing a new factory decklid. Went through the parts catalog for a decklid that had no wing and used a template to drill the holes. The layout is very similar, if not identical, between the R wing and the CFTP. Again, the factory new decklid required work as they often come with dents, gouges, etc. I think the parts network gets the units the factory couldn't use on a new car going down the line.

xz IMG_3846.jpg

The decklid on the left is the one I purchased, drilled, had painted, and bolted the R wing to.

zzz IMG_4302-Edit.jpg

IMG_4856-Edit.jpg

I believe the R model and CFTP wings are using the exact same dogbone, so those two respective holes are definitely the same. The third hole, which favors inward a few inches on the decklid is likely in a similar location as well. Regarding the mention of aftermarket CF decklids not being recommended for wing use...I can only say that the CF decklid manufactured by Multimatic for the GT4 cars gets by with the wing. Is there flexure at speed? Yes. I looked closely at the decklids at every IMSA race in 2018 and they were fine. Of note, they may thicken the layup for added rigidity but I never asked if they did this. I didn't see any internal bracketry with the decklid to add strength either. The third hole to the lower right is for a latch...the third wing hole is the one up above it, cropped in half in the next photo.

xz IMG_4071.jpg

xz IMG_4069.jpg

So why doesn't Ford stock a deklid for the R or CFTP with the holes already drilled? Since it is installed by hand on a separate line anyway, I sense they figured it was cheaper to not have to have an additional inventoried part and to just drill the holes come install time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It is my understanding that a lot of race teams do reinforcement where the wing attaches to the deck lid. @Weee500 said he had some kind of specification to accomplish this. I asked about it, but got no reply.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Two questions with regards to this, both now after I came back from my Auto Body shop discussing this.

First are all the lids the same from '15-'20? Cause looking it up in the ford part list it seems to be the case and I just wanted to be sure before my auto body shop guy gets one from his sources which would end up being cheaper.

Second thing is he suggested that I plug up the holes (him really) on the current lid and put the wing on the lid that came with the car and put the base spoiler on the "other" lid, his contention is the paint coloring is not going to be exact and he said even if its a hair off shade its going to bug me, and he's right it will annoy the crap out of me.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is my understanding that a lot of race teams do reinforcement where the wing attaches to the deck lid. @Weee500 said he had some kind of specification to accomplish this. I asked about it, but got no reply.
I haven't seen a GT4 Mustang do anything along these lines. I have noticed that Watson is welding a tube to the underside of the factory steel decklid on the FP350S. Note that wing mounts inward of the decklid and doesn't spread the load the same way as the one Multimatic does for the GT4 car (or the way the CFTP mount is done).

FP350S.JPG

Look closely at this photo and you can see the reinforcing tube in place on the underside of the decklid.

FP350S inside.JPG

Two questions with regards to this, both now after I came back from my Auto Body shop discussing this.

First are all the lids the same from '15-'20? Cause looking it up in the ford part list it seems to be the case and I just wanted to be sure before my auto body shop guy gets one from his sources which would end up being cheaper.

Second thing is he suggested that I plug up the holes (him really) on the current lid and put the wing on the lid that came with the car and put the base spoiler on the "other" lid, his contention is the paint coloring is not going to be exact and he said even if its a hair off shade its going to bug me, and he's right it will annoy the crap out of me.
If you want to keep it simple just order a Bullitt decklid as it won't have any holes.

I went back and forth on just modifying the stock decklid as opposed to purchasing another one and having it painted. Your body guy has a valid point. It is a bit of a challenge to match exactly the hue on your car. On both that I did I'd say it was a 95% match. I could tell but most others could not.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
If you want to keep it simple just order a Bullitt decklid as it won't have any holes.

I went back and forth on just modifying the stock decklid as opposed to purchasing another one and having it painted. Your body guy has a valid point. It is a bit of a challenge to match exactly the hue on your car. On both that I did I'd say it was a 95% match. I could tell but most others could not.
Well I was looking to see about going through his sources probably yards that have them for sale from wrecks, I would see if his sources had any without spoilers first, because getting it new will be far more than getting it from a yard at his cost. (I dont get charged anything over his cost if anything). My only concern is color matching. And if I decided to use the original my other issue is the middle of the base spoiler mounts to the center of the car, which he will have to blend during covering the holes. i guess the only way to get that match is for him to use the 2nd lid and try and get as close to it as possible mixing small batches to get it near perfect.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just popped off the outer gas filler neck cover panel and brought that to the paint supplier my body guy uses. They did a near perfect job matching it to that.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017-Ford-Mustang-FP350S-Race-Car-62.jpg
2017-Ford-Mustang-FP350S-Race-Car-63.jpg

toothdkdr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
david
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R oxford white
From what I can see, none of these products are exactly the same as OEM. Some have different mounts which require drilling into a new trunk lid. Some require the end plates to be screwed in. Some have different shaped aerofoils. And there's always the question about quality of the carbon. The usual questions with all aftermarket carbon is will is yellow after a few months, or days, and will the gel coat fade, get hazy, or crack and peel off within a few weeks.

I also noticed that these companies are using photo's of the OEM wing to sell their aftermarket products. You can tell because when you look at the other photo's the parts and fitment look different. So, ultimately you don't know what you're getting un til it arrives through your door.

Of course you consider all of this with price differential (which is considerable), but I also have a warranty with the OEM one.
What's the difference between aftermarket on this spoiler, some other company made it for ford just like MPR is going to make it for me. I was told they use the best carbon fiber available and the mounting brackets will be the exact same except made out of carbon fiber instead of metal and the spoiler will be identical too. I also think they would back there product 100% if some thing went wrong. Does anyone have any MPR carbon fiber products on there car and if so what do you think of the quality?

GattmanLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT500 (SOLD)
What's the difference between aftermarket on this spoiler, some other company made it for ford just like MPR is going to make it for me. I was told they use the best carbon fiber available and the mounting brackets will be the exact same except made out of carbon fiber instead of metal and the spoiler will be identical too. I also think they would back there product 100% if some thing went wrong. Does anyone have any MPR carbon fiber products on there car and if so what do you think of the quality?
The OEM mounts are carbon fiber. They're just painted as it's chopped carbon.

IMG_3902.jpg

Also, when a product is made for Ford by a third party company it still has to go through rigorous testing for safety, fitment, performance etc. Whereas a third party company making an aftermarket piece doesn't have to go through all of that testing and certification. They can just copy it (as best they can), build it and sell it. One reason why I trust the OEM piece to do what it's supposed to do and not break or come flying off the trunk lid at 140 mph. I'm certainly NOT suggesting that the MPR product will do this... but there's no development and testing to say it won't. But that's also the reason why you're paying $3k instead of $15k (the cost price of the OEM wing).

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that a continuous o-ring gasket around the perimeter of the base? And did the GT4 upright base bolt right in place of the OEM wing base?

Sponsored

GattmanLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT500 (SOLD)
Is that a continuous o-ring gasket around the perimeter of the base? And did the GT4 upright base bolt right in place of the OEM wing base?
Yes. Its a thin rubber gasket that goes around the whole edge.

The GT4 mount bolts right into the same holes as the OEM ones. Its a slightly different shape and the hardware sent was slightly different but the holes are the same. It doesn't have a gasket though. I guess on race cars you don't need to concern yourself with weather sealing and bolting metal to metal and possibly causing damage. So I jerry rigged one from thin weather stopping from a hardware store. It worked great but wasn't too attractive. Then the guys at Multimaltic created a gasket for me and it works much better. Much neater.

IMG_3481.jpeg
IMG_3503.jpeg
IMG_3505.jpeg

61981014252__303BA6B6-47E2-41BE-8F1B-1485ACA408E2.jpeg

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
I’m at Charlotte this weekend and the underneath of a gt350s rear deck has 3 holes with washers welded to the shims. Not 2holes has shown in this picture and they are straight up and down in a row.
563C9646-7298-437B-9ADE-A575FCCFD85B.jpeg

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Welp I just jumped in and got the MPR CF wing as well, just waiting on the invoice.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gfcobra04 said:
I’m at Charlotte this weekend and the underneath of a gt350s rear deck has 3 holes with washers welded to the shims. Not 2holes has shown in this picture and they are straight up and down in a row.
The two outer holes along the decklid edge are "in a row" (vertically). And as I mentioned, the third hole, to the right, the lower of the two, is used latch the decklid down into place. Here you can see it from the topside, in place on one of Multimatic's GT4 cars.

i-8msKR2k-L.jpg

GattmanLA said:
The GT4 mount bolts right into the same holes as the OEM ones. Its a slightly different shape and the hardware sent was slightly different but the holes are the same.
Thanks for the shots. I'm familiar with the GT4 wing and hardware and wondered what you did to use the GT4 uprights with the production car CFTP wing with it's embedded mounting bracket. I see you drilled out the hole at the top front/rear of each bracket and didn't use the other brackets that the GT4 wing uses up top.

IMG_4896-X2.jpg

Out of curiosity, did you even have to put pressure on the uprights inward or outward to get them to mate so readily with the CFTP wing's embedded bracket? It'd be surprising if the fit was perfect, as if it was designed to be that way.
Sponsored

Last edited: