Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
it's been kind of an interesting little project trying to pound a square peg in a round hole.
Welcome back from purgatory!

I'm curious if you could have just swapped the MR internals into a Steeda/Koni coil-over body... I would definitely have gone with a ACME threaded 'sleeve' slipped over the MR shock body partially slotted and clamped with shaft-locking LockTite compound. And maybe a dab or two of spot-weld above and below the sleeve to locate it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Who the hell bought up all of the Whiteline bars? I'm told (after placing my order) they are out for 3 weeks. Sigh.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Who the hell bought up all of the Whiteline bars? I'm told (after placing my order) they are out for 3 weeks. Sigh.
if they aren't made domestically I'd look at the Port of LA as being the source of problems.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP

cwh19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Only 2 in camc for Finger Lakes tour this weekend.

Chad, who has won cam in Charlotte, Chicago, and NJ this year, is driving with me in BS if anyone wants to follow along on Pronto.

Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP

Chad, who has won cam in Charlotte, Chicago, and NJ this year, is driving with me in BS if anyone wants to follow along on Pronto.
I always see where things are. We have a SW Divisional in Texas next weekend and only 3 drivers in CAMC. Must be too hot.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

Would have come out since it's a chance to not get beat up by Chad ;-) but it's too far. Bristol has nice turn out for the class (but it always does).

cwh19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Would have come out since it's a chance to not get beat up by Chad ;-) but it's too far. Bristol has nice turn out for the class (but it always does).

Lol there you go.

Finger Lakes is my favorite venue. Bristol is a close second thought. Everything else is just a place.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Welcome back from purgatory!

I'm curious if you could have just swapped the MR internals into a Steeda/Koni coil-over body... I would definitely have gone with a ACME threaded 'sleeve' slipped over the MR shock body partially slotted and clamped with shaft-locking LockTite compound. And maybe a dab or two of spot-weld above and below the sleeve to locate it.
Thx, LOL.

Are the passive dampers 'upside down'?

Converting a real coil-over probably could have worked nicely, even if I were using a more generic body, like from Afco or Pro. Ultimately, I just thought this would be the easiest/cheapest way of getting the job done. The sleeve rests on the bracket that bolts to the upright and will be tack welded in several places to the bracket. There will be a mating sleeve which takes up the space between the threaded one and strut body, but that might just be a couple rings. It kind of depends how it looks when we get there. I don't want to weld to anything that's dimension critical, so either sleeve retainer or Hysol epoxy will hold everything together (again, we'll jump off that bridge when we get to it). Regardless, the sleeve will be sacrificial. If the damper goes bad, it gets thrown away with the rest of the strut.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
onverting a real coil-over probably could have worked nicely, even if I were using a more generic body
Fortune Auto has shock bodies in a couple diameters and a decent selection of lengths...

Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Well, still didn't find a Whiteline rear bar in stock anywhere. @NightmareMoon suggested I look for a Strano bar...talked to Sam--the Hellwig bar he carries is hollow and 1 inch in diameter...not the same as his bar. He also was out of it anyway.

He did have a Pedders rear bar that has similar rates to the Whiteline bar. It's also a bar I had previously, but sold when I went back to a stock bar. Sigh.

Live and learn.

Looks like I'll have it swapped onto the car for the SW Divisional next weekend.

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
alright. lincoln, prosolo finale & nats. who's in?

i have some expiring vacation with nothing else to use it on, so why not spend the week @ the concrete beach?! extra fun bonus of (4) pros since 2019 so i can get into tier 2 reg for the finale. see everyone in september!

btw, i reached out to raleigh to see if there's going to be a cam invitational this year. it's not on the calendar like it usually is, and with the finale being a winner-takes-all (coupled with the bitching on various online outlets about the cam event cannibalizing course space), means it probably isn't happening, but i'll keep everyone posted when i hear back.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
@boardkat - Raleigh is planning invitational in a T&T area on Thursday after regular Tue / Wed CAM run days - source - Raleigh who I talked to yesterday (and sat with in the announce car during Pro on Thu/Fri) - he was gauging potential participation from people in Bristol - told him that if it happens, I'll stay for it. Will do Nats and Pro "finale" as well most likely - 12 hour drive for me so makes sense to do whatever I can.

Tier 2 as well for finale so should be able to sing up.

OP
OP
boardkat

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
gotcha. looks like i'm gonna miss out on thursday, need to get on the road for the indycar race back home. fwiw, i'd kill for a 12 hour drive - the 24 hour slog i've been doing for way too long is starting to grind on me. i must be getting old :p

cya there!

Reactions: kz

samstrano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Handling Pack
Not in for Nats in the Mustang. Hoping they get wise and move the Mach 1 to FS, which would likely get me out of the Corvette for Solo events. Considering taking the Mustang to Pery for the CAM Challenge in August but you know, it's a B-Street car and I damaged on of my RT660's for the rear, they are pretty prone to road damage. I'd need to either buy two more 305's for the back, or try the Goodyears with the 325 on the back (which I just put on today to try a local tomorrow). Or maybe talk to Justin Peachey about sharing his Z06.... Decisions decisions.
Sponsored