Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I'm not going to buy anything special just for this weekend. The Maier kit will address my problem when it shows up, but I don't know exactly when that will be. In the meantime, I've got a pair of 880# springs in the garage that would be better than nothing. Is it just the spring end insulators which needs to be changed to make them work or do they actually have a different control arm (seems nuts).
They are different control arms. The perches are cast mirrored rather than the same L and R.
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
They are different control arms. The perches are cast mirrored rather than the same L and R.
I wonder what the thinking was there?

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'm not going to buy anything special just for this weekend. The Maier kit will address my problem when it shows up, but I don't know exactly when that will be. In the meantime, I've got a pair of 880# springs in the garage that would be better than nothing. Is it just the spring end insulators which needs to be changed to make them work or do they actually have a different control arm (seems nuts).
Quick look at the Levittown Ford site shows two different sets for LCAs - with and without "adaptive damping". Whether the spring seat is different I have no clue, might be just a mount for ride height sensor or MR cable routing. But they're different P/Ns.

Edit - Brian responded above with more accurate info.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Per Ford on TestdrivenTV:
" one of the rear springs is counter-wound to assure symmetrical spring seating and better motion of the lower control arm. This single move Ford says required a unique control arm design"
I should have been more clear. It's not that the counter wound bit is such a strange thing. It just bizarre to me that they'd have different springs & arms on the car depending on the shock package. It seems like a pretty straight-forward goose/gander situation.

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I should have been more clear. It's not that the counter wound bit is such a strange thing. It just bizarre to me that they'd have different springs & arms on the car depending on the shock package. It seems like a pretty straight-forward goose/gander situation.
I think the magneride control requires the L and R to be consistent with regard to their symmetry in forces to a much tigher tolerance than a passive damper system.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Should I just bust out the chop saw? That's a completely doable option.

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I wonder if they are the same lower control arms as on the GT350. Same with the front hub assemblies. Non MR cars have one big nut that holds the hub assembly while the MR cars have four bolts holding them in

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I wonder if they are the same lower control arms as on the GT350. Same with the front hub assemblies. Non MR cars have one big nut that holds the hub assembly while the MR cars have four bolts holding them in
They are the same rear LCAs. The front spindles for MR EB/GT are the same more robust bearing and hub, but not an aluminum spindle like the GT350. The GT350 spindle has the radially mounted caliper mounting also, so it's a different part.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I got my Maier kit today, so the afternoon/evening was putting them on the car (& a 3 hour trip to get a bloody pair of springs from Eibach). I put 950's on it. Maier says that's way too soft, but my front is only 220. Honestly, I never felt like the rear was all that soft, just too high of a ride height.

Anyway, I'm running this weekend, so I'll be sure to report back on the difference.

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I got my Maier kit today, so the afternoon/evening was putting them on the car (& a 3 hour trip to get a bloody pair of springs from Eibach). I put 950's on it. Maier says that's way too soft, but my front is only 220. Honestly, I never felt like the rear was all that soft, just too high of a ride height.

Anyway, I'm running this weekend, so I'll be sure to report back on the difference.
220/950 isn't bad for balance. You definitely want more front spring still, though, and not so slammed up front.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
220/950 isn't bad for balance. You definitely want more front spring still, though, and not so slammed up front.
I've got a spring rubber to throw in the front, but they might not be tall enough. It's probably only good for about a 50#/in gain. Ultimately, I need to come up with a front spring arrangement which is similar to the rear & allows for the fitment of standard springs. Coil-overs are the real answer, but I want to stick with these dampers, which is clunky.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I've got a spring rubber to throw in the front, but they might not be tall enough. It's probably only good for about a 50#/in gain. Ultimately, I need to come up with a front spring arrangement which is similar to the rear & allows for the fitment of standard springs. Coil-overs are the real answer, but I want to stick with these dampers, which is clunky.
Ground control coilover conversion sleeves should work.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Ground control coilover conversion sleeves should work.
Goodie...I was worried I'd get to the end of the month & have money in my pocket, lol.

DSC Controller is next, within a couple days.