SCCA CAM-C Thread

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
It's already done...at least on the buying end. Tuning it will be a work in progress.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I stuck the DSC Controller in earlier today.

I took it out on an initial run. City ride is pretty good. It went over little choppy stuff as good, if not better, than the Ford cal. It did have the tendency to be a little undamped/floaty just driving down the street. I need to get it on a freeway to feel it there.

When getting frisky, it did control body movement pretty well. I feel like it has a bit better front end grip. I don't have track camber in the front, but it still had a strong enough front end that I didn't induce a push in a couple quick 180's. I haven't really challenged the rear enough to make a reasonable evaluation.

Putting it in is nothing, literally a 5-10 minute job and it was 1/2 dark.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
BTW, I heard from a good source that the Yokohama A052 is not going to be showing up in our sizes ever. For whatever reason, they're just not going to do many more sizes than they already offer.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I bought a bunch of engine stuff today. More HP generally means more problems, but at least they'll be new problems. I'm not much of an engine guy, so I'm actually kinda looking forward to playing around with stuff that I usually don't get to touch.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I stuck the DSC Controller in earlier today.

I took it out on an initial run. City ride is pretty good. It went over little choppy stuff as good, if not better, than the Ford cal. It did have the tendency to be a little undamped/floaty just driving down the street. I need to get it on a freeway to feel it there.

When getting frisky, it did control body movement pretty well. I feel like it has a bit better front end grip. I don't have track camber in the front, but it still had a strong enough front end that I didn't induce a push in a couple quick 180's. I haven't really challenged the rear enough to make a reasonable evaluation.

Putting it in is nothing, literally a 5-10 minute job and it was 1/2 dark.
Does it have with different calibrations tied to driving modes ?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Does it have with different calibrations tied to driving modes ?
Yes. You have three modes or maps, just like the stock controller. Right now, they're all the same for me, but I'm going to play with it a bit this week.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Yes. You have three modes or maps, just like the stock controller. Right now, they're all the same for me, but I'm going to play with it a bit this week.
So it only comes with one calibration - same for all the modes ?

(thanks for answering - trying to figure out whether their tunes are worth anything or does it require working on it on your own to get any value out of it - I know tunability is its main strength but curious if it with something that is usable right off the bat - for autocross / track ,not street that I could care less about).

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
So it only comes with one calibration - same for all the modes ?

(thanks for answering - trying to figure out whether their tunes are worth anything or does it require working on it on your own to get any value out of it - I know tunability is its main strength but curious if it with something that is usable right off the bat - for autocross / track ,not street that I could care less about).
To be completely honest, I haven't dug through all the tunes to see the difference, and I'm working on understanding the various tuning options myself. I'm already set up as a DSC dealer and will be providing sales and tuning services when I'm more confident in my abilities with it. I have a reasonably extensive background with passive dampers, but this is my first go with MR's.

BlueHPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HPP/HP 6MT, 03 Boxster S, 97 M3
Regarding the shifting of the 6MT ecobost HPP. One multi national champion said if you ride the limiter more than one second it is usually worth shifting. Two seconds for sure. You just have to get better at heel and toe at the next corner. And the shifter is pretty good so you only have to work on the feet. Other cars with poor shifters (BMW E36 and E46 M3) are not near as good and one can easily miss shifts when turning while shifting.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Regarding the shifting of the 6MT ecobost HPP. One multi national champion said if you ride the limiter more than one second it is usually worth shifting. Two seconds for sure. You just have to get better at heel and toe at the next corner. And the shifter is pretty good so you only have to work on the feet. Other cars with poor shifters (BMW E36 and E46 M3) are not near as good and one can easily miss shifts when turning while shifting.
I guess I just need you to show me how it's done.

Reactions: kz

BlueHPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HPP/HP 6MT, 03 Boxster S, 97 M3
The space between the brake and gas on Mustangs are a little wider than the euro cars. So I got a wider gas pedal from Steeda. It was too wide and I cut it down so that I have about a 50 mm gap (2 inches). Only narrowed gap by about 15 mm. Also the Mustang pedals are more to the left than the BMW M3 and Porsche Boxster pedals in relation to the seat and steering wheel . I am practicing often so I do not get the gas and brake when I go for the brake. I have done that more than a few times transitioning to the Mustang.
Nine Steps:
1. Brake on with the ball of your foot.
2. Clutch in.
3. Shift to neutral.
4. Clutch out.
5. Blip throttle with the side of your right foot (big for high speed corners, less for slower)
6. Clutch in
7. Shift to lower gear
8. Clutch out
9. Roll off the brake and on to the throttle.
Practice, practice, practice until you can do it in about 2 -3 seconds, with minimal thought, while braking and turning into the corner.
Yep still messing it up some of the time after 30 years of practice. The more athletically talented will be better. When I get it right it is so smooth and fast.

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1078.JPG

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I can't even be mad. If he's a troll, he's brilliant and if he's genuine, then he's just being helpful.

Thank you BlueHPP, I will certainly take your videos into consideration.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I can't even be mad. If he's a troll, he's brilliant and if he's genuine, then he's just being helpful.

Thank you BlueHPP, I will certainly take your videos into consideration.
You asked :)

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
It takes like a solid second to upshift a Mustang while turning, so I’m guessing the rev limiter rule is 2+ seconds minimum following by a good downshift spot.

My buddy with a SSC coupe ran over 1/3 the course in 3rd gear one event because a downshift location never become apparent... and was plenty competitive doing it.
Sponsored