Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
CAM-X could be the spot for literally anything that is street legal. You'd do a 200TW tire rule and maybe a sliding tire size/minimum weight combo. But, if you've got a V8 miata or a tube-frame ponycar, this would be your spot.
Looked again - this is literally what XA/XB/XS is. Differences are min weights basically, all pony cars are eligible.
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
My wife was super happy to see the rear subframe out of my car when it had 1500 miles. She won't even notice the front, lol.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Looked again - this is literally what XA/XB/XS is. Differences are min weights basically, all pony cars are eligible.
Educate me a little here. XA/XB/XS in what?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Educate me a little here. XA/XB/XS in what?
They're separate CAM like classes - https://www.scca.com/downloads/65394-2023-cam-and-xtreme-rules-draft-includes-cam-xs-ev-v12/download

Xtreme Street A (XA) Import and domestic sports sedans and coupes
Eligible vehicles: All vehicles using an automobile‐based engine (no electric or hybrid‐electric vehicles). Excluded: all models with any trim level classed in Super Street, A Street, or on the Street Class exclusion list.
Weight with driver (lbs., min.): o AWD: 3180 o RWD: 2930 o FWD: 2680

Xtreme Street B (XB) Lightweight import and domestic sports cars
Eligible vehicles: All vehicles using an automobile‐based engine (no electric or hybrid‐electric vehicles). Excluded: all models with any trim level classed in Super Street or on the Street Class exclusion list except Lotus Elise and Exige
Weight with driver (lbs., min.): o RWD: 2330 o FWD: 2180

Xtreme Street Sport (XS) High Performance Import and domestic sports cars
Eligible vehicles: All vehicles with seating for 2 or more adults  For Electric and Hybrid‐electric vehicles: No changes are permitted to the tractive system or its programming. Batteries, the computers and/or hardware controlling battery systems must remain OE. This includes but is not limited to electric motors, battery packs, powertrain control modules/computers and sensors, etc. Weight with driver (lbs., min.): Average tire width of 275 and less: 2680 o Average tire width greater than 275: 2830

Until this year difference vs. CAM was they allowed aero (and there were only two - XA and XB), so locals here with wings on a Corvette ran XA at times but this year there is little difference.

SM cars on a street tires fit in this pretty well (and typically wreck a class of a casual guys who bring their Subaru with typical mods).

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Well first weekend came and went and hard to tell how bad the PAX adjustment screwed us this year. Placed 2nd in class by about half a second, but the 3rd run group of the day saw a car break a balljoint which resulted the fastest classes and driver of the day running on an altered and shortened course.

Will be on a cruise ship for points 2 so won't have anymore feedback until points 3 in May.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Well first weekend came and went and hard to tell how bad the PAX adjustment screwed us this year. Placed 2nd in class by about half a second, but the 3rd run group of the day saw a car break a balljoint which resulted the fastest classes and driver of the day running on an altered and shortened course.

Will be on a cruise ship for points 2 so won't have anymore feedback until points 3 in May.
I think looking at the Spokes 1st event result - not much, if you drive fast enough.

PSI change for Pro (which also went up quite a bit and is waaaay more significant since CAM is an Index class) - also not so much given results but also if you drive fast enough (like Otis, Foley or Nightmaremoon :) )

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
That' s good to hear. My primary local CAM-C competitor and I were trying to figure out how we went from hovering around the top 10 to somwhere in the 40-50 range in PAX and 12 seconds off pace.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
That' s good to hear. My primary local CAM-C competitor and I were trying to figure out how we went from hovering around the top 10 to somwhere in the 40-50 range in PAX and 12 seconds off pace.
Pax change is worth ~0.3 sec on a 40 sec course so 12 second off the pace has to be something else going on - where was the event ? Results ? On those early event, lost of really good people show up sometimes from far away (where it's cold) - it's how Bristol looked yesterday I think.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Pax change is worth ~0.3 sec on a 40 sec course so 12 second off the pace has to be something else going on - where was the event ? Results ?
...the 3rd run group of the day saw a car break a balljoint which resulted the fastest classes and driver of the day running on an altered and shortened course.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Dang, rough weekend out there. We had a guy lose it in a fast left turn (in his 350 none the less), dodge the yellow barriers and instead clip a guy wire. that removed the DS mirror, dented the door and above the window, and ripped off the trunk lid.

I will say though, whatever Ford did to attach the spoiler, it sure is strong, because the guy wire clipped the spoiler and the spoiler did not rip off.

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Dang, rough weekend out there. We had a guy lose it in a fast left turn (in his 350 none the less), dodge the yellow barriers and instead clip a guy wire. that removed the DS mirror, dented the door and above the window, and ripped off the trunk lid.

I will say though, whatever Ford did to attach the spoiler, it sure is strong, because the guy wire clipped the spoiler and the spoiler did not rip off.
I remember when I removed mine it was a tricky process and it was on there well.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I remember when I removed mine it was a tricky process and it was on there well.
Not lost on the damage caused at the event, one of our local CAMS guys said "You know, we ought to scoop that thing up and turn it into a CAMC monster. Let's go throw him a lowball offer"....lol, some peoples minds never stop working.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Are you folks aware of the revised Nankang CR-S tire for this year as well as larger sizes it is supposed to be available in? The latest Grassroots Motorsports magazine covers it. I'm not seeing where to buy them though.

335/30/18, 325/30/19 are notable sizes for CAM.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Are you folks aware of the revised Nankang CR-S tire for this year as well as larger sizes it is supposed to be available in? The latest Grassroots Motorsports magazine covers it. I'm not seeing where to buy them though.

335/30/18, 325/30/19 are notable sizes for CAM.
Aware - yes. Hollis (who tests them for GRM) wrote (elsewhere) that it's the fastest 200TW tire he drove on. They aren't currently available anywhere yet, shipment is supposedly inbound - probably Phil's Tire Service will have them - tricky part is to make sure you're getting the new 2023 CR-S, not the old one (which I had for a bit and was not a big fan of - it was/is a weird tire).