Pursue a buyback?

ShelbyEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Accord "sport"
Backstory: I purchased a used 2020 GT350 @ 4400 miles in Oct 2021. Since then the compressor has gone bad, the long block has been replaced, and the compressor has gone bad again.
1st compressor: early 2022
Catastrophic engine failure(bent pistons): end of 2022
2nd compressor: early 2023 and its worse right now(sounds like a supercharger + my compressor is coughing blood everytime i turn the AC on). issue started the day i got the car back after long block replacement

The remedy from Ford for the long block replacement, and for context I pushed the Ford Customer service representative hard for compensation. All I got was premium Ford care till the end of this year.

I'm pissed. I've completely lost faith in this vehicle.

There's other issues too like in reverse when I push the clutch in and out it sounds like the transmission is literally coming loose. Wheel ticking, brake squeal(normal i hear), clunking nose when shifting into first gear(again normal i hear), rod knocking at cold temps(again normal i hear), whining between 1k-3k RPM's(without AC turned on). So many smaller issues...

I'm not sure exactly what I can do here...if there's anything I could do even
Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Looks like you've had a tough go. The engine failure is just bad luck; although there have been a few reports here of 2019+ engines just going bust, it seems rare. But unfortunately the AC compressors go bad on these cars with regularity. The other issues you describe are also mostly "normal" as you say. My car has most of them (other than the reverse issue you describe). I just take the car for what it is and enjoy it. It certainly is not the most refined car. I understand however how your experience has colored your view of the vehicle.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Backstory: I purchased a used 2020 GT350 @ 4400 miles in Oct 2021. Since then the compressor has gone bad, the long block has been replaced, and the compressor has gone bad again.
2nd compressor: early 2023 and its worse right now(sounds like a supercharger + my compressor is coughing blood everytime i turn the AC on). issue started the day i got the car back after long block replacement

The remedy from Ford for the long block replacement, and for context I pushed the Ford Customer service representative hard for compensation. All I got was premium Ford care till the end of this year.

There's other issues too like in reverse when I push the clutch in and out it sounds like the transmission is literally coming loose. Wheel ticking, brake squeal(normal i hear), clunking nose when shifting into first gear(again normal i hear), rod knocking at cold temps(again normal i hear), whining between 1k-3k RPM's(without AC turned on). So many smaller issues...

Unfortunately I think buyback is only really an option if your states lemon law policies apply, usually one year. At least thatā€™s the story I got from ford when I asked about a buyback.

My advice, get some local ford dealers to make an offer a the car. I got offers from 7 ford dealers, carmax and carvana before eventually selling it to one of my local ford dealers. I ended up selling for $8k more than what I bought it for new, and this was right after the long block and transmission had been replaced. Once you lose faith in the car, itā€™s so hard to have fun in it as youā€™re always wondering whatā€™s next to break. Sometimes a clean break is the only way to maintain sanity.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I don't think a buyback will happen. There has to be a long trail of unfixable issues. The wheel clunking and loose transmission should be looked at if you're concerned. The other issues you're probably hearing is piston slap, but can be looked at, and brake squeal is common with performance cars.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I totally get where you are coming from. It sounds like it's stressing you out. Since that is the case, I would get the compressor replaced, check lug nuts (Known to make noises if not at 150 ft-lbs), and if it still bugs you, maybe it is time to sell.

Good luck! I personally think having the replacement motor is a huge plus when it comes to sales time.

Sponsored

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Agree with Pilotgore and Wilto. Get the AC fixed again - then trade or sell in to a dealer. If you're looking for something that you can beat on day in day out without all the little niggles of the 350 (I have many of the same issues), I would suggest a ZL1 1LE or SS1LE. Not as exciting motor wise but on par performance and never had an issue with mine when I owned. (Nor others I tracked with)

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
So let me get this straight.
Your first thread (1 1/2 years ago) was asking what to look for when buying a GT350. You mentioned a ā€˜19 with 4K miles and cooked tires.
The following month you picked up the car you are talking about here.
Man OP bad luck has followed you for sure. Iā€™d take pilotgores advise and get an offer from a few dealerships.
Now youā€™re going to think Iā€™m nuts. Iā€˜d buy another one.
Overwhelming majority are great cars. The fun to dollar ratio is undeniable.

04DarkShadowGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Since the car was bought used there is no buyback or lemon laws in any state that I am aware of. No dealer is going to take a return on a car that was sold nearly 2 years ago.

My advice would be to get the car repaired again and just sell it.

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Lemon law is only for the original owner. Does not apply for second owners and beyond.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Most buy backs occur with the original purchaser because of state lemon laws. Since youā€™re purchaser number 2 and these issues are well know and Ford has done what they can to fix them itā€™s highly unlikely that they will purchase the car back. The only way I would foresee a buy back would be that your engine keeps failing they keep replacing and there seems to be no real fix to that particular problem. Everything else is documented as normal wear and tear for these vehicles so I am sure that youā€™re stuck with it

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I believe there is a TSB for pinion nut on the trans which could explain some of the clunking you speak of. I have zero clunking at all. Maybe a premature to diagnose what you hear as a rod knock - it's typically piston slap, as others have noted and it "usually" 99% goes away after the pistons get some heat in them. I think the issues you describe are fixable. It sounds horrible when you list them out all together but if you just get them tackled one at a time, you can go on enjoying the car with only slightly higher than average concern of future failure :)

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Is There a Lemon Law for Used Cars in Illinois?

Yes, consumers in Illinois may use the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act to provide them with relief for the purchase of any used car, truck, SUV, or other consumer product. This federal Lemon Law makes no distinction between new and used vehicles. If the vehicle meets the definition of a lemon, itā€™s covered.

This holds true even though the State Lemon Law in Illinois applies only to new vehicles. As long as you (or a previous owner) report a defect while the vehicle is under warranty, the federal Lemon Law holds the manufacturer responsible for the repairs. And if the manufacturer fails to repair the defects after a reasonable number of attempts, you can seek compensation through the courts.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Give Carvana or Carmax a call, dump it on them.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP

Yikes. The lack of reliability would have be stressed out as well. I hope you can successfully pursue the Lemon Law for your GT350.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Iā€™ve never heard of a lemon law in any state for a used vehicle. Iā€™d turn off the AC, drive it to Carmax and let them have it. I suppose if the OP owes more on it than he can get, thatā€™s another problem.
Sponsored