Sponsored

Buyback GT350Rs

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There are a couple buyback GT350R Mustangs at a dealer near me. I'm going to look at them sometime soon. They have much fewer than 10,000 miles on them, look like they are all original, etc.

Would you buy one? Why or why not? What price would a buyback R have to be before you would consider one.

I realize there have been some threads on buybacks recently, but I don't think they have been R models, rather regular GT350s people have discussed. I'm interested to hear people's thoughts about this.
Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I think that situation will be very personal and subjective. For me, if I knew the details of the buyback, and especially if it was a member here, and I was planning on doing major modifications or going for a full-out track car, then I'd consider it.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I agree w @Demonic . A very personal choice.

If you have a relationship w the dealer, and theyā€™ve been good to you in the past, Iā€™d enter into serious discussions. They might be super motivated to off load them.

Get the history. Why were they buybacks? Do they have new engines? Remember Rs are going for MSRP sporadically. Maybe even better. Use whatever condition issues as negotiation points. Whatā€™s the warranty? You know the drill.

If I were in the market, Iā€™d seriously consider.

Good Luck!!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
A buyback R should be significantly lower in price for many reasons. First and foremost, if the engine was replaced it would no longer be a numbers matching car. Even for a regular 350, a new motor will bring the resale price down. (just ask @jvandy50 ). One of the things about the R, is that there were few made and numbers matching is important. Next, is warranty. I recently read a thread here that an extended warranty could not be attained through Ford. Some have said that they were able to get a warranty through Flood Ford, but I would verify that before I bought a buyback.

As others have stated, you know the drill. See the OASIS report, see about obtaining an extended warranty, and then it comes down to general condition and price. Me as a buyer would not want a buyback because it will always have that stigma surrounding it when/if you try to sell it.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks for the advice. I probably will not buy one because they all have the Recaros, but I'm going to at least check out the cars they have and see what condition they are in.

I also really want to drive an R at least once. Reviewers and many members on this forum have said that the R is amazing and quite a bit better than the GT350. If the R is so amazing I might consider one.

However, the prices they have on these cars - around 55-60k seem too high to me for a buyback car. I realize a new R is going to be ~$20k more, but then it's new, all original and has the full warranty. So it would probably take a lot of time and effort to try to get the price down to something I would consider, and the dealer might not budge. Winter is coming, and usually that helps, but they may be ready to store the cars until next year. Who knows.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Thanks for the advice. I probably will not buy one because they all have the Recaros, but I'm going to at least check out the cars they have and see what condition they are in.

I also really want to drive an R at least once. Reviewers and many members on this forum have said that the R is amazing and quite a bit better than the GT350. If the R is so amazing I might consider one.

However, the prices they have on these cars - around 55-60k seem too high to me for a buyback car. I realize a new R is going to be ~$20k more, but then it's new, all original and has the full warranty. So it would probably take a lot of time and effort to try to get the price down to something I would consider, and the dealer might not budge. Winter is coming, and usually that helps, but they may be ready to store the cars until next year. Who knows.
Agreed, 55-60k is too high. I could see going forward at a much more considerable discount assuming they have the carbon fiber wheels and all other unique to R parts.

You say the dealer might not budge but you wouldnā€™t know unless you ask.

Anyone know how buybacks work from the dealer perspective? Do they expend any capital or is it all on Ford? Do dealers ā€˜oweā€™ Ford any percentage of the sale of a buyback? What Iā€™m getting at is the dealer may or may not have minimal $$ in the vehicle so they might be willing to negotiate...

To clarify, my thoughts on this are in no way based on any expectations of any return down the road.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
All Rā€™s have the Recaros FYI.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
There are a couple buyback GT350R Mustangs at a dealer near me. I'm going to look at them sometime soon. They have much fewer than 10,000 miles on them, look like they are all original, etc.

Would you buy one? Why or why not? What price would a buyback R have to be before you would consider one.

I realize there have been some threads on buybacks recently, but I don't think they have been R models, rather regular GT350s people have discussed. I'm interested to hear people's thoughts about this.
Let me know if either of them are a Base R model or if they are both equipped with the Electronics Package as is usually the case?

As many of us know Ford has produced ~3000 R models for the first 5 MY's and that is not including the upcoming 2020MY therefore the original 135 Base R models built are becoming more and more sought after as time goes forward.

I am not too familiar with buyback R models and would appreciate the terms and conditions that surround a buyback R model.

With respect to the cars in question my initial concerns would based largely on the information that you or other members could provide me regarding buybacks and of course originality, condition, mileage and provenance would be very important to me as well.

:)

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Let me know if either of them are a Base R model or if they are both equipped with the Electronics Package as is usually the case?

As many of us know Ford has produced ~3000 R models for the first 5 MY's and that is not including the upcoming 2020MY therefore the original 135 Base R models built are becoming more and more sought after as time goes forward.

I am not too familiar with buyback R models and would appreciate the terms and conditions that surround a buyback R model.

With respect to the cars in question my initial concerns would based largely on the information that you or other members could provide me regarding buybacks and of course originality, condition, mileage and provenance would be very important to me as well.

:)
I think these have electronics packages, but I will keep your questions in mind. I plan to post up the dealer info so all of you can look at them as well. I just wanted to look at the cars before making that information completely public.

I will see on the warranty and other information as well - step 1 is to see if I'm even interested in buying, so warranty questions will come a little later. I was definitely planning to get an Oasis report if I became at all serious about purchasing one of these cars.

The R will have to be really good to overcome my concerns about ride height, carbon wheels and comfort of the Recaros or the expense to replace them with another seat. Frankly my thoughts have always been that the regular GT350 is a better fit for my budget and use case. I hope to find out today whether the experience of driving an R is so good that I will stretch my budget for one.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I think these have electronics packages, but I will keep your questions in mind. I plan to post up the dealer info so all of you can look at them as well. I just wanted to look at the cars before making that information completely public.

I will see on the warranty and other information as well - step 1 is to see if I'm even interested in buying, so warranty questions will come a little later. I was definitely planning to get an Oasis report if I became at all serious about purchasing one of these cars.

The R will have to be really good to overcome my concerns about ride height, carbon wheels and comfort of the Recaros or the expense to replace them with another seat. Frankly my thoughts have always been that the regular GT350 is a better fit for my budget and use case. I hope to find out today whether the experience of driving an R is so good that I will stretch my budget for one.
What model year are these R models and when you get a chance if you can determine the chassis numbers as well that would be terrific.

Good luck and hope that you enjoy your ride/rides later today!

:beer:

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
"Even for a regular 350, a new motor will bring the resale price down."....not always....I was offered 46K for my 2018 350 as a trade, and I told them it had a 19R engine. That's about the value trade in of a car with original motor.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
"Even for a regular 350, a new motor will bring the resale price down."....not always....I was offered 46K for my 2018 350 as a trade, and I told them it had a 19R engine. That's about the value trade in of a car with original motor.
trading my car was literally the only way i could get rid of it, no one wanted it after the replacement lol. i undertand that's how someone here might look for a deal...but we already have cars for the most part. try selling that red flag to an individual with a bejewel'd shelby jacket...

regarding the OP, if i were looking at one for the track and it was a buyback for a new motor I'd certainly entertain it for the right price(just not anywhere close to the 55-60k)

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Was going to offer a drive in my R if you're in Chicago ever, but then I saw that you'll get seat time today. Hope you enjoy it - will look forward to your thoughts. It is definitely more compromised as a street car and I do now believe that 2nd wheels with more street-friendly tires is necessary to make the R more usable. That said, having driven both, I do think the responsiveness and front end sharpness is substantially better in the R, even on milder tires. The suspension tuning makes a difference.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
regarding the OP, if i were looking at one for the track and it was a buyback for a new motor I'd certainly entertain it for the right price(just not anywhere close to the 55-60k)
I (probably foolishly) tend to not worry too much about the future value of a car and mostly get wrapped up in whether I'm going to be happy with it. But having virtually everyone on the board say it's too much money is very helpful.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Was going to offer a drive in my R if you're in Chicago ever, but then I saw that you'll get seat time today. Hope you enjoy it - will look forward to your thoughts. It is definitely more compromised as a street car and I do now believe that 2nd wheels with more street-friendly tires is necessary to make the R more usable. That said, having driven both, I do think the responsiveness and front end sharpness is substantially better in the R, even on milder tires. The suspension tuning makes a difference.
Thanks for the offer!

Hopefully I'll get seat time. We will see. I took a photo of my track attack swag to show the guy I have owned a GT350 before and that I should be able to "handle" it, in case he uses that argument on me. Driving out there will be worth it to me just to sit in the Recaros and remind myself of what they are like. I remember them not bothering me at the track attack, but the seats in the track attack cars have seen a lot of use.
Sponsored