Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power - Anyone else?

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
GT500KR (0758), GT500 (N2617), GT500 (N3432)
This issue only presents itself at the track and cannot be induced legally on the street.

Last Memorial Day weekend, I took my car to Rockingham Speedway for an event. After getting accustomed to the track and getting the car to scoot faster around the Roval, every now and again, engine power would cut out and the orange wrench with “See Manual” was displayed in the dash. The FordPass app on my phone showed “Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power - see your authorized deal as soon as possible” It wasn’t a persistent fault and usually I could get it to clear by pressing the OK button on the steering wheel. Regardless, it cleared every time I shut the car off and started it car back up. It only showed up when I really pushed the car around the track. I put the car on the trailer after a few more instances of this while I was trying to figure out what was happening.

The car was fine to drive on the street to and from the dealer. The tech at the dealership read through the DCT history and didn’t see anything obvious.

This weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park, it happened again. After getting the car warmed up on a few scouting laps, I started driving the car flat out. After about three or four hard laps, it went to a reduced engine power with all the same previous associated warnings displayed again. That ended the weekend for me right there as I decided the my car needed to be seen again to get this figured out.

I have another appointment at the dealership this Thursday. We’ll see how it goes and what they’re going to be able to determine. But without the right conditions, I’m not sure they’re gong to be able to zero in on the issue.

Anyone else hear of a ‘20-‘22 GT500 with a reduced power fault?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Mine did something very similar due to a "bad" tune. Was not reproducible on street, only when driving really hard. Mine threw a "Collision Assist Not Available" message with the wrench. Contacted tuner and we worked on a fix.
EDIT, i had mine at the dealer as well, they couldn't find anything. if you have a tune, revert to stock, could involve switching intake to stock as well, and try again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dig-It

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, but I’m still running all stock - tune, air filter, everything from the factory.

OP
OP
Dig-It

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Read this thread awhile ago and have been waiting for signs of the software update, just in case.

Based on a bit more web searching, I’m starting to think it’s probably transmission related.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
There's a large harness connector on the passenger side of the engine bay. Check it to see if the two halves are fully mated.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
There's a large harness connector on the passenger side of the engine bay. Check it to see if the two halves are fully mated.
Possible anyone has a photo of said connector? Thx.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Search for the dyno plug. Disconnect and reconnect. It's a known issue on cars that see the track especially if the track is a little rough in spots.

In my case, I had the issue after running through a large dip in a corner transitioning from asphalt to concrete. To fix it, I unplugged the dyno plug, di-electric greased the connector, and then reconnected, and have not had an issue since.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dig-It

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the assistance so far. All the connections mentioned have been checked with no issues found.

Taking it to the dealership in the morning. I’m going to have them check/perform TSB 21-2059 (TCM check/re-tune) and SSM 50756 (PCM check/re-tune). I’ll report the results.

OP
OP
Dig-It

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Found out it’s the supercharger drive assembly clutch. Parts on order.

SSM 50578
Sponsored