Sponsored

Anyone else here scratching and or damaging their wheels?

edmd007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 20 GT500 Iconic CFTP
T,

Getting your wheel damaged sucked. But, there is a difference between support, and services we do not offer. When you initially told me you thought there was an issue with the wheel the immediate response was that “we would take care of it.” Once we determined it was cosmetic damage from the curbing and not any production issue it shifted to “how can we help you take care of it.” Which included me attempting to find a local recommendation to refinish the gloss black wheel. It was not a simple “No” response without any other help.

I do a whole hell of a lot to take care of people. Excellent service and advice before the wheel build process. 24 hour / 365 day a year access to me with any questions or concerns you might have after production begins. Access to all of the discounts or savings we have with industry partners. Development of speciality components to make wheel installs painless. Spot on delivery times. Reaching out to local contacts for recommendations on wheel repair services, and almost any other help you could need.

One of the the services we do not offer is touch up, or the ability to send wheels back to be refinished/refurbished. All powder coatings are mixed at the time of the wheel build and are custom colors. There is no paint/color code that you could provide to a local shop. And still no guarantee the mix would be perfect match even if you sent it back. At which point you would be out time, money, and definitely upset if you got the wheel back and it didn’t match what you currently had. We also then assume responsibility if that wheel comes to us damaged, gets lost in shipping, misplaced once received, and a host of other potential issues.

I can do many things, but there are some some things I can not. I can understand your frustration as the outcome you desired was for us to take the wheel back and refinish it for you after already having a failed attempt with a local repair service. To say we do not offer support or make it seem lackluster would be a misrepresentation of what Signature is about, or what you could expect within the wheel industry.
happen is making me second guess spending near
Ty for the clarification. Forums are sometimes
tough to tease out the details.
Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I continued to say that your company makes a really good wheel. But there are inherent problems with getting a wheel repaired, the biggest.... Color match.

I certainly understand Signature not wanting to get involved in the wheel repair business. But when an accident does occur (and they do), you shouldn't have to be forced into a choice between a new wheel and settling for a repair that will not be anywhere near the original product.

If I were Signature, the way I would handle a request like this would be to mix up the correct powder and sell it to the customer. If you want to stay out of the wheel repair business, that would be one way to do it and keep your customers happy. Explain to them that there is no guarantee that the color will be a 100% match. If you did that, it would go a long way.

Another option is to partner with a wheel repair business (who you trust with your proprietary processes) and train them with your wheels and your powder coating process. I've seen you and your partnerships. You are quite good at that kind of stuff (racing brakes, Ford Performance Racing School, etc). Doing it this way would keep Signature out of the wheel repair business and would be an added bonus to after sale support.

Face it, your business is growing based upon the reputation you have gained. These wheels are great wheels. It shouldn't be a proposition where if one gets dinged and it is repairable, that a finish cant be had to make it nice again, as close as possible to the original finish. Otherwise, you are buying a really expensive wheel that is essentially junk after a blemish. I can say with certainty that when my wheel comes back from powder coat, it will not look like my other 3 in that set. What does a guy who has an exotic finish do? I sure do wish I got those SV801's in gloss black now too.

I cant stress this enough. Signature makes great wheels. You are great to each and every one of us in the community, and I thank you for that. Certainly it should not be that if you get a ding or a rash, you are on your own. If HRE can do it, certainly Signature can. You just have to want to find a solution.

Edited to add:

No, I asked if you could sell me the exact (powder coat mixture). You said No, you can't because you don't sell it. I then asked if I could send it to you to have it redone (thinking it was a proprietary issue). The answer to that was no, we wouldn't recoat it either. Signature doesn't offer refinishing services. Very few wheel manufacturers do.

I wasn't misrepresenting anything. That is the exact way it went. I was forthcoming in the fact that I tried to get the wheel repaired in my earlier account of things. When the problem became the finish and the advice you gave me to just re coat the wheel, it was then I asked for the correct powder.
Unfortunately you did not provide any other context to your statement other than we left you hanging. Not that we tried to help in multiple ways, even though the thing you ultimately wanted is not something we provide. You can tell from the response of those that read your comment it came across that way. Inadvertently taking a thread about someone curbing a stock wheel into a discussion about Signature, and not tagging me so I could provide more data as to why we personally do not refinish wheels. Luckily one of our other clients brought this to my attention so I could provide more information. Those that have not experienced our level of service are left wondering what they can expect.

Thanks T.

Last edited:

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Gonna be honest, I've spent a long time perseverating over what wheels I wanted to get and finally settled on a 2 piece SV304S with 2 different colors. The fact that these may not be able to be repaired should damage happen is making me second guess spending nearly 9 k (7 k wheels and 1600 tires +tax) for another set of wheels after dropping 100k on a car. A product at this price point should be able to be supported. I mean if you wanted to pay for the repair and repowder coat that should most definitely be an option and has given me pause about dropping this kind of coin. I cannot imagine why re coating wheels wouldn't be an option.
I will create a stand alone thread to discuss

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don't agree. Spin it all you want, but I was upfront and forthcoming throughout this thread.

I don't think I said you left me hanging. I did say that you wouldn't sell me the powder to refinish my wheel. What is the problem with that? Why wont you? I also said you wouldn't have it refinished if I sent the wheel to you because I've been down this proprietary finish back and forth discussion with you before.

What service do you provide when someone curbs a wheel? Nothing. You would be happy to sell them another wheel, and that's about it. You sell wheels. Other than that, what services do you provide?

Its all in writing. I suggest anyone who didn't understand where I was coming from read it all again. And again if you have to.

You are turning this into something it really doesn't have to be.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
the turning radius on 500 feels like i am driving a school bus.
Good analogy, Tony and I swear my F250's turning radius is shorter. Kinda like gocart steering. :-)

Sponsored

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Good analogy, Tony and I swear my F250's turning radius is shorter. Kinda like gocart steering. :-)
So far i have miss-judged every parking spot i try and turn into and can't correct it in time, luckily i park out in the middle of nowhere so not a big deal other than feeling like i don't know how to drive.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Hey, I made a 6 point U turn today :)

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Is the turning radius a GT500 thing or an S550 thing?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Turning radius for a 2020 GT is 37.8'.

Turning radius for a 2020 GT500 is 43.8', while the CFTP is 44.1'.