MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Right, because if the car has an automatic transmission you just jump in, turn it on and somehow arrive at your destination a while later while you just chill in the back seat reading a book.
No, but if riding while someone else drives was a 4th poll choice, I wonder how many who prefer auto would choose it. :idea:
Sponsored

OP
OP
TheSnowmanMafia

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Well this thread took off!

With over 250 votes it looks like its split ~70% manual and 30% auto.

Doesn't really surprise me since this is an enthusiasts forum and most people who buy cars dont come on here or any auto forums for that matter.

onebad58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang 1958 ford 2021 mach 1
I didn't know that they changed the gear ratio on the 18 19 mustang transmission. 4th gear is now 1ti1. I can wind third gear out to 115 mph.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
how am i supposed to shift this thing at wot? cant get a clean gear change.. with my focus st i had no issues just dumping the clutch. can't do it smoothly in the mt82. what am i doing wrong? i know i'm not a good driver but this is ridiculous and embarrassing lol. granted i just passed 500 miles and went wot for the first time last night above 6k.
When you say wot, do you mean close to redline (7,000)? or at lower RPM's. I've done maybe a dozen or so, most 2-3, but some 1-2, and have no issues. I don't expect them to be smooth, but their more than OK. I don't "dump" the clutch, but let it out pretty briskly... Lot's of fun....

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I didn't know that they changed the gear ratio on the 18 19 mustang transmission. 4th gear is now 1ti1. I can wind third gear out to 115 mph.
….and on the BULLITT, redline in 4th is at max limited speed (163mph). I've redlined 3rd a couple of times, not sure I will get to redline in 4th....

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
When you say wot, do you mean close to redline (7,000)? or at lower RPM's. I've done maybe a dozen or so, most 2-3, but some 1-2, and have no issues. I don't expect them to be smooth, but their more than OK. I don't "dump" the clutch, but let it out pretty briskly... Lot's of fun....
It is funny to me that you know how many times you have been at 7000 rpms.

I never really thought about it but the A10 cars probably live a much rougher life than the 6speed. The time my car has spend above 4500rpms would register in hours. These cars are made to rev. High Rpm low load is imo much better for a 12:1 street engine.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
It is funny to me that you know how many times you have been at 7000 rpms.

I never really thought about it but the A10 cars probably live a much rougher life than the 6speed. The time my car has spend above 4500rpms would register in hours. These cars are made to rev. High Rpm low load is imo much better for a 12:1 street engine.
I think it's funny that you think it is funny that I know. Would you feel better about it if I said I had done 100's. It is not a daily driver and I don't redline that often. And I'm not talking about 7,000 exactly but shifts at or close to redline, which is anything above 7,000 rpm. I have only less than 3,100 miles on the car, so it's in the ballpark of a dozen times....I do not redline it every time I drive it.....This is not rocket science......

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think it's funny that you think it is funny that I know. Would you feel better about it if I said I had done 100's. It is not a daily driver and I don't redline that often. And I'm not talking about 7,000 exactly but shifts at or close to redline, which is anything above 7,000 rpm. I have only less than 3,100 miles on the car, so it's in the ballpark of a dozen times....I do not redline it every time I drive it.....This is not rocket science......
I meant no offense by comment. Auto just loves to rev. It always wants more. It’s like feeding a beast.

qbnlynx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ralph
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp2
Yeah around 7k. That's where I set my shift light/tone at in case I forget lol. I've been practicing a bit and have gotten a little better. Pulled off some slick quick shifts last night. Main thing I've learned is like you said.. to left off the clutch briskly. I was used to dumping it on my focus st but this car needs a little finessing.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I meant no offense by comment. Auto just loves to rev. It always wants more. It’s like feeding a beast.
All's good. Now ask me how many times I have taken my 2006 VW Jetta 2.0T, DSG to redline (6,800). No idea, probably in the 100's...

The 10 speed tranny is going to get to redline very quickly. By comparison, the MT82 takes a while. I don't have the ratio's at hand, but I would say you have close to twice the gears....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
1st in the 10R80 is 4.69:1, so it's going to run you out of revs pretty quickly.

Most of the intermediate gears are spaced a lot closer together in the 10R80 than they are in the MT82D4, meaning less of a rev drop on every shift and therefore fewer rpms to run up before you're needing the next gear again.

Norm
Sponsored