• Total voters

familyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ruby Red
This is my only regret about my 2019 EBPP, I wish I had gotten a manual. Every muscle/sports car since my first new car in 1986 (Dodge Daytona) had been a manual. I prefer an auto for my daily drivers though.

I must say that the A10 with the 3.55 rearend is really quick out of the hole. The manual sport mode is pretty cool, and it shifts really well when left in auto mode too, it feels like it has a "shift kit" in it.
Sponsored

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
MT82.

Gor the FRP short shifter. Perfect height for me.

Great shift height but more noisy and clunky. After much experimentation with foam stuffed into the cylinder (worked until i pulled it to reverse and the foam came up and so did the noise) washers and grommets, I found a solution that worked for me.

Thinish rubber washer that fit snugly on the shaft. The edge of the washer fits the inside of the cylinder and the effect is to dampen the noise of shifing.

Works well for me and makes shifting a delight. I did have a Steeda spring, used it and loved it However removed it when my daughters started learning to drive he car as the clutch effort was harder with the Steeda. Surprisingly found the stock spring easier to use and felt perfectly fine

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
According to Edmonds, in 2018 only 2% of all cars sold in the U.S. were manuals.
That's probably a very good number on an overall basis. But "overall" mostly means "not car/driving enthusiasts".

This other report came out maybe a week ago, which does a much more accurate breakdown of 'take rates' among those vehicles that offer a MT at all. I've only pasted a few excerpts from the list, and none of the accompanying text. Boldface in the comments mine.

FWIW, our newest car - it's actually the family sedan - has the top MT take rate of them all, even higher than for the Mazda Miata. And my wife (who leaves the ranks of 60-somethings by the end of the year) was just as insistent now that this new one be MT as she was nine years ago on the last go-round.

Every 2020 Car Truck and SUV Available with a Manual Transmission
The manual may be dying, but there are still options.

By: Todd Lassa July 9, 2019

Fiat Chrysler

Dodge Challenger
Fiat 124 Spider
Fiat 500
Jeep Compass
Jeep Wrangler
Jeep Gladiator

Fiat Chrysler won’t talk take rates, although we hear it’s about 69 percent for the 124 Spider, which would be in line with the numbers for its mechanical twin, the Mazda Miata. Manual options for the Fiat 500X and 500L and the Jeep Renegade (all on the same platform) were dropped prior to 2019. The Jeep Wrangler and the Gladiator can each be had with a six-speed manual, though only when equipped with the 3.6-liter V-6 engine.

Ford

Ford Mustang
Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

Ford says 50 percent of current Mustang GT buyers and 20 percent of Mustang EcoBoost buyers choose the six-speed manual. The Shelby GT350 is available only with a manual, while the GT500 will come only with a dual-clutch automatic. The ’19 Fiesta is available with a manual, but there will be no ’20 Fiesta in the U.S. The new Ranger midsize pickup truck comes only with an automatic, so it seems unlikely the upcoming Bronco will be offered with a manual, though it should be noted that its target competitor, the Jeep Wrangler, is offered with a six-speed stick.

General Motors

Cadillac CT4/CT5 (eventually)
Chevrolet Camaro
Chevrolet Spark

Manual take rate on the 2019 Chevy Corvette is approximately 20 percent this year, but the new mid-engine car will only have a dual-clutch automatic on its spec sheet. Take rate on the ’19 Camaro is approximately 20 percent, and about 40 percent on the Spark. GM dropped the manual option by 2019 from the Chevy Sonic, Chevy Colorado, and GMC Canyon, although Mark Reuss promises manual options for future Cadillac V cars. The 2020 Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V come with automatics only, for now.

Mazda

Mazda 3
MX-5 Miata

Current manual take rate on the Miata is 76 percent for the soft top and 52 percent for the RF. Stick-shift options have been dropped from both the Mazda 6 and the base front-wheel-drive CX-3.

Subaru

BRZ
Crosstrek
Impreza
WRX/STI

The Subaru WRX/STI has the highest manual take rate of any car on this list, approximately 88 percent. Manuals make up a healthy 73 percent of BRZs, while the Impreza and Crosstrek each sell at about five percent.

Norm

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
FWIW, our newest car - it's actually the family sedan - has the top MT take rate of them all, even higher than for the Mazda Miata. And my wife (who leaves the ranks of 60-somethings by the end of the year) was just as insistent now that this new one be MT as she was nine years ago on the last go-round.
That's cool, but it may have something to do with the fact that the only alternative is a horrible CVT.

Sponsored

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG BULLITT K4675 2020 INFINITI Q50 RS 400
That's cool, but it may have something to do with the fact that the only alternative is a horrible CVT.
I wonder who is the dumbass that thought a rubberband can be used as transmission like a toy car? Should be shot!!

qbnlynx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ralph
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp2
how am i supposed to shift this thing at wot? cant get a clean gear change.. with my focus st i had no issues just dumping the clutch. can't do it smoothly in the mt82. what am i doing wrong? i know i'm not a good driver but this is ridiculous and embarrassing lol. granted i just passed 500 miles and went wot for the first time last night above 6k.

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
how am i supposed to shift this thing at wot? cant get a clean gear change.. with my focus st i had no issues just dumping the clutch. can't do it smoothly in the mt82. what am i doing wrong? i know i'm not a good driver but this is ridiculous and embarrassing lol. granted i just passed 500 miles and went wot for the first time last night above 6k.
Might be high rpm lockout??

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
That's what made me trade mine in at 3k miles. Did the normal fluid swap and Steeda clutch spring, but 50% of the time when shifting 2-3 at 50% throttle or above it would be like hitting a wall. Had to go to neutral for 1-2 seconds and then go to third. Enjoyed driving my previous Scion's manual more than the MT-82.

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what made me trade mine in at 3k miles. Did the normal fluid swap and Steeda clutch spring, but 50% of the time when shifting 2-3 at 50% throttle or above it would be like hitting a wall. Had to go to neutral for 1-2 seconds and then go to third. Enjoyed driving my previous Scion's manual more than the MT-82.
Look into a shifter bracket like I am installing on my vehicle as I have been told it will help with the shifting alignment at high rpms and prevent the lockout.

Sponsored

qbnlynx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ralph
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp2
i've heard of this issue but not entirely sure of the symptoms or cause of it. hopefully it's just my inexperience driving and not an issue with the car. when i do my first oil change i plan on upgrading fluid, line, spring and the shifter. i'm not having any issues getting it into gear or anything.

Ronin47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://imgur.com/J8zbK6b

here's a video of a pull from last night granny shifting her. hope i didn't hijack this thread.
LOL. "Granny Shifting". I couldn't tell if you were as there was no audio. I could tell the tires weren't loaded and it didn't hop a bit before traction control or the tire traction caught on, so not really telling what is going on.

qbnlynx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ralph
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp2
LOL. "Granny Shifting". I couldn't tell if you were as there was no audio. I could tell the tires weren't loaded and it didn't hop a bit before traction control or the tire traction caught on, so not really telling what is going on.
gotcha. i couldn't figure out how to add audio. i did chirp 2nd and 3rd. traction control was off. track mode.