Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
Twins are sweet but a pita when you have to work on the car. All out weekend toy or drag car twins. If you want ease of use and a factory like install get the whipple its that simple.
I had a car with scavenging pumps and when it failed it looked like I deployed a smoke screen. I would never do a set up like that again.
I agree. Had the Hellion Sleeper (well still kinda do) pulled the ridiculous scavenging pump and collection tank between the turbos. With Comp turbos (Hellion needs to sell comp with their kits) no collection tanks are needed or a scavenging pump. Hello Hellion are you listening!!?? I am now running Comp Air Cooled Turbos. I also ditched the air to air IC and went air to water. If anybody says the sleeper kit is an easy install they would be doing back flips of happiness using Comp turbos. I talked with John the owner of Hellion when I purchased my twins from Comp and I could not believe the push back he gave me. I was like dude get over your Precision Turbo sponsorship ego. Get with the plan. Comp turbos work just fine. I suggested he talk with Ernie at Comp and work something out. I doubt he made that call. I wanted to go with a bigger after market radiator but could not with that big bulky scavenge pump setup as it was in the way. Went Comp and installed the radiator all is good.
Sponsored

ninjacoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
I agree. Had the Hellion Sleeper (well still kinda do) pulled the ridiculous scavenging pump and collection tank between the turbos. With Comp turbos (Hellion needs to sell comp with their kits) no collection tanks are needed or a scavenging pump. Hello Hellion are you listening!!?? I am now running Comp Air Cooled Turbos. I also ditched the air to air IC and went air to water. If anybody says the sleeper kit is an easy install they would be doing back flips of happiness using Comp turbos. I talked with John the owner of Hellion when I purchased my twins from Comp and I could not believe the push back he gave me. I was like dude get over your Precision Turbo sponsorship ego. Get with the plan. Comp turbos work just fine. I suggested he talk with Ernie at Comp and work something out. I doubt he made that call. I wanted to go with a bigger after market radiator but could not with that big bulky scavenge pump setup as it was in the way. Went Comp and installed the radiator all is good.
Funny, I removed that mechanical scavenge setup myself after the crank bolt failed and I promptly smoked out an entire highway. I went with an electric pump and am seriously considering the comp turbos if these precision’s ever go or get damaged

HELLION TURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey folks,

So my initial plan for my 21 Mustang GT PP car was to install a whipple supercharger kit. However, im starting to lean towards a hellion TT kit as my buddy has one and its a badass car. I know ill get a lot of opinions but what do you guys think would be good reasons to choose one vs the other?

Also anyone who has a hellion kit are there water and oil lines for the turbo? My buddy has the sleeper kit and he said every 1500 miles or so he has to oil them? And speaking of which whats the difference between the sleeper kit and the regular kit? Is it just the placement of the turbos?

Hello. Thank you for your interest in our system. Our current system has many choices for your turbocharger. Our sleeper kit uses an oiling system with a mechanical scavenge pump. We not require water lines to be connected.

The sleeper kit mounts the turbos underneath the car, and our top mount has the turbos located in the engine compartment. It really comes down to your goals and personal preference.

Please let us know if we can answer any more questions.

Team Hellion

EP10R80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
I'm inexperienced and haven't done enough research, but I want a sleeper kit too. I'd keep it under or at 700whp until I have the funds for a predator block and decided on which company for 10r80 upgrade.

Tbh I likely won't as I don't plan on getting serious about drag racing. I'm getting use to the stock power though.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Interesting point I noticed and wanted to touch on it, I think Black Dog was the one that said it. I agree that when it comes to all out setups there no touching turbos, honestly IDK if I’d recommend a blower to someone who wanted more that 1000-1050whp, turbos dominate that realm. But “better” isn’t the same for everyone and is heavily dependent on what aspect of the setup you put value on. Reliability? Ease to maintain? Easy to work? Is it an ET goal? Or a WHP goal?
Another thing is the comment on “a couple touches on the controller on whipple is on the rear view”. That seems to be a common trend amongst turbo guys. They want to race, you agree think “ok we’re fairly evenly matched, should be good” and when they don’t like the outcome they start playing with buttons to add 50-100whp. Sorry to say, but that’s for people who like to puppy kick, this person isn’t looking for good races, they want easy wins.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I agree with not wanting and external scavage oil turbo. Way to much to go wrong and just isn't nessasary now days.
** WHO SELLS Turbo kits with comp, self contained internal oils systems?. Thank you for your help.

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Just to reiterate, review, and remind. My car is a manual MT82 so A10 stuff doesn't apply. Mainly ill be having fun on the streets, hit the local drag strip up on occasion, going to shows, and the occasional Mexico runs with my buddies. Here's what I've deduced so far between the 3 FI options...

Going turbo is the most expensive and complex option. Clearly the ability to change tunes and boost on the fly is appealing and turbos will be able to push much higher HP numbers. However, im thinking turbos might be overkill on the street? My buddy runs the hellion kit on his 2016 MT82 and runs full DRs and had to gear down to 3.31 gears to get traction (and full suspension mods). Im not building a car to beat his though as he's pushing 1000+ and honestly I don't need that.

Supercharger (Whipple) seems like a great fun option for instant tire shredding torque, but I'm not looking to destroy tires I'd rather hook with them. So its a catch 22 with Whipple as the low end torque is obviously fun but spinning ain't winning. Im sure on a strip it'd be less of an issue, but on the street idk. Its imo a cost effective option, looks great, simpler, something different for me anyways. The other concerns I have are added weight and heat soak which seem to be issues as well. And the gen 5s have no Whipple whine :/ lol.

Centri's, I know how they work and what they are, but have no real experience with them which peaks my interest in a way. But I feel like they're the underdog? It seems like the cheapest and simplest option but $$ is not a deciding factor here. I guess I'd lose low end torque which sucks but could be beneficial in getting traction from a dig. They sound amazing and look cool, which the kid in me loves. But I dont want to get my ass handed to me anytime a PD car gets next to me. Maybe I'm wrong with the whole red headed stepchild/underdog thoughts on Centri's.

So at the end of the day I want mo power baby, but I want to be able to use it. I'm all for any and all supporting mods to do so, suspension, wheels, tires, etc. Idk if any of my rambling helps, just trying to give some insight so I can make a damn decision and not regret it lol.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
** WHO SELLS Turbo kits with comp, self contained internal oils systems?. Thank you for your help.
Aldo makes a nice custom kit. Have you considered it? I like the Hellion a lot, they have a good name and their customer service seems to be top grade. But the concerns posted here are legit.

@w3ab1ak91 , have you considered the VMP Odin? Looks real nice and only a 4 week wait. Not 30 weeks like Whipple.

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I've considered the Odin if I go PD but again PD or Centri in that case? And wait time is not a big deal as the car will be on winter lock down from October til April. But why Odin > Whipple?

Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I've considered the Odin if I go PD but again PD or Centri in that case? And wait time is not a big deal as the car will be on winter lock down from October til April. But why Odin > Whipple?
well the Odin is sort of the new kid on the block although it's technology isn't so new and the company that makes it Magnuson has been around. yeah Whipple is proven and obviously popular for good reason but the wait time is just crazy. looks like the Odin is making some good power though. can't go wrong with either in my opinion...

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Aldo makes a nice custom kit. Have you considered it? I like the Hellion a lot, they have a good name and their customer service seems to be top grade. But the concerns posted here are legit.

@w3ab1ak91 , have you considered the VMP Odin? Looks real nice and only a 4 week wait. Not 30 weeks like Whipple.
I would love to go with a quick spool comp turbo system due to not adding any stress to the crank. I am considering the ESS system for it is very well made and thousands cheaper than other Centrifugal. I would have to first have a very reliable crank Support before I would go that route. Thanks.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)

I just went on Also Welds web site. The s550 Twin turbo mid mount kit is 10k and seems not to be complete. As Hellion.
1: It states it does use a scavange pump.
2: It does not list injectors.
3: It does not list a boost controller.
4: It does not list a fuel pump booster.
5: It does not list a tune which comes with it.
To me, it's no where close to Hellion TT kit. But I could be wrong, just looking at what I get for 10k.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I just went on Also Welds web site. The s550 Twin turbo mid mount kit is 10k and seems not to be complete. As Hellion.
1: It states it does use a scavange pump.
2: It does not list injectors.
3: It does not list a boost controller.
4: It does not list a fuel pump booster.
5: It does not list a tune which comes with it.
To me, it's no where close to Hellion TT kit. But I could be wrong, just looking at what I get for 10k.
aldo's builds aren't the cheapest but known for really good quality stuff. his quote for me was this:

Aldowelds 800x mid mount twin kit turn key package installed $21,500.00

-Precision 6266 turbos
-Air to air intercooler 4.5"
-45mm turbosmart wastegates
-50mm blow off valve
-Braided AN lines and fittings
-Dual pump fuel system
-ID1050x injectors
-E boost 2 boost controller
-Lund racing dyno tuning for 91octane/e85
-Boundary oil pump gears and sprocket
Sponsored