Sponsored

OK so I want to SC my new 19 GT. Roush is what I'm leaning towards. Advice?

gothampony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package 1
What are the must haves to go with the supercharger itself, from the perspective of balancing the car's performance. Will the Performance Package 1 brakes be sufficient? What about suspension, what's needed to keep the car from becoming unbalanced (in any sense really from a driving standpoint)? If you had to break it down into must haves, and nice to haves, out of the gate, what needs to go with the SC, and what can wait until later, and I include safety as a factor, if it is even a question (like brakes, or suspension mods needed to keep the whole thing balanced). Does the car need to be lowered due to added weight?
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
What are the must haves to go with the supercharger itself, from the perspective of balancing the car's performance. Will the Performance Package 1 brakes be sufficient? What about suspension, what's needed to keep the car from becoming unbalanced (in any sense really from a driving standpoint)? If you had to break it down into must haves, and nice to haves, out of the gate, what needs to go with the SC, and what can wait until later, and I include safety as a factor, if it is even a question (like brakes, or suspension mods needed to keep the whole thing balanced). Does the car need to be lowered due to added weight?
I would drive the car first and see if you even need forced induction. Traction becomes the biggest issue. I'd go Whipple over Roush if I were picking, but it all depends on what you want out of the car. The PP1 brakes are more than sufficient for anything you throw at the car. They bite hard.

Suspension is the most important aspect followed by half shafts/drive shaft once you go with a blower, especially if your goal is to drag at the track.

First, identify your end goal and what you want out of the car before throwing major mods at it. The 2019 is a beast tuned on E85 already.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
VMP or Whipple over Roush any day.

PS - FI is a want not a need. But once you have it.......it becomes a necessity. As the old schooler's would say, "There is no substitution for cubic inches". There is a lot to be said for that. However, with respect to that old timer statement...nothing makes you smile like being blown. :rockon:

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Roush is a decent setup and can probably make way more than a street car should really ever have. You also know that you will get the entire kit and a safe tune from them because Ford uses that kit for their FRPP setups. If it were me, I would go Edelbrock. Its the same headunit as the Roush (TVS 2650) but has a much better inlet design that won't eventually be a power restriction. Plus the biggest draw to Roush kits to me would be the "warranty coverage" which has some very strict limitations if you read through their fine print. Then I would get a custom done tune from whomever you learn to trust.

Brakes are 6 piston fronts so if you find you need more braking performance, I would do more aggressive pads on stock rotors. Suspension has lots of upgrades that supposedly make big differences. But how you use the car would determine what direction you should take in that regard.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
Don't rule out a centrifugal blower. These cars love them.

Brakes are sufficient for what you'll be doing.

IRS cradle lockouts are a must. They're cheap, and take the loosey-goose feel out of the back end of the car. For street driving, I don't know that you need a bunch of upgrades. Lowering springs help a bit and improve appearance.

ETA - I didn't see you specify in the other thread if this car is an auto or manual, but if it's an MT82 car, an aftermarket shifter is a must.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The Gen3 engine is different then the Gen2... and the charger needs to be re-done. Roush has done extensive work with Ford on their charger for the 2018+ gen3 engines.

Whipple has a new blower too, but for the street and "service" the Roush makes more sense.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yes;

Do your suspension first. Look at my sig line, see all the suspension mods, then call Steeda.

Do all those. First.

OP
OP
gothampony

gothampony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Yes;

Do your suspension first. Look at my sig line, see all the suspension mods, then call Steeda.

Do all those. First.
These?

Steeda Stop the Hop Starter Kit
Steeda Billet Rear Vertical Links
Steeda Pro-Action Adjustable Shocks & Struts
Steeda Billet Rear Shock Mounts.

Sorry for the dumb question, but how do any of these compare to the Roush suspension kit? Will the Roush be better tuned to their own SC kit's effects on the car?

OP
OP
gothampony

gothampony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Don't rule out a centrifugal blower. These cars love them.

Brakes are sufficient for what you'll be doing.

IRS cradle lockouts are a must. They're cheap, and take the loosey-goose feel out of the back end of the car. For street driving, I don't know that you need a bunch of upgrades. Lowering springs help a bit and improve appearance.

ETA - I didn't see you specify in the other thread if this car is an auto or manual, but if it's an MT82 car, an aftermarket shifter is a must.
Sorry, it's a 6spd. Is the IRS cradle lockout part of the list of Steeda upgrades mentioned above?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
These?

Steeda Stop the Hop Starter Kit
Steeda Billet Rear Vertical Links
Steeda Pro-Action Adjustable Shocks & Struts
Steeda Billet Rear Shock Mounts.

Sorry for the dumb question, but how do any of these compare to the Roush suspension kit? Will the Roush be better tuned to their own SC kit's effects on the car?
Yes. It will absolutely transform the car.

Unless you have Magneride, then you don't need the shocks and struts. And some may suggest you get lowering springs too. That's something to consider.

I would also highly suggest looking into staying N/A, rather than SCing. You can have 500HP very easy with the 2018-19 cars.

Go to AmericanMuscle.com's youtube channel and start seeing what they've done.

Sponsored
OP
OP
gothampony

gothampony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I would drive the car first and see if you even need forced induction. Traction becomes the biggest issue. I'd go Whipple over Roush if I were picking, but it all depends on what you want out of the car. The PP1 brakes are more than sufficient for anything you throw at the car. They bite hard.

Suspension is the most important aspect followed by half shafts/drive shaft once you go with a blower, especially if your goal is to drag at the track.

First, identify your end goal and what you want out of the car before throwing major mods at it. The 2019 is a beast tuned on E85 already.
Honestly I would never take this car to a track or dragstrip. It's just not my thing. I just want more and smoother lower end and torque curve respectively. Compared to my old RS4 (08), the 19GT doesn't have anywhere near as much low end torque (check out the Audi's torque curve). So this would address that quite a bit. And I'm not a speeder on the public roads, but would like to have a bit more walk away and onramp power for highways, or scenarios where I'm trying to get away from a congested area, and then of course those mountain roads (this where handling matters to me).

Coming from Porsche I care a lot about balance and weight, so I don't want to SC this and then find its fallen out of balance.

As for Roush vs Whipple vs etc, I guess I'm not clear why the others would be better. I am never going to take this past 7/10ths of the capability of the upgrade. So is there really a reason to go with something that has not been blessed by Ford? I hear you on the warranties, but what specifically is limited?

Also half shafts/drive shaft, sounds like that is important? Sorry as you can see I'm not very mechanical. I wonder if there's a readme somewhere I can tackle to avoid flooding the forum with a lot of dumb newbie questions.

OP
OP
gothampony

gothampony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Yes. It will absolutely transform the car.

Unless you have Magneride, then you don't need the shocks and struts. And some may suggest you get lowering springs too. That's something to consider.

I would also highly suggest looking into staying N/A, rather than SCing. You can have 500HP very easy with the 2018-19 cars.

Go to AmericanMuscle.com's youtube channel and start seeing what they've done.
Oh interesting, so it can be taken from 460 to 500 flat without much but exhaust mods I guess? Also, not challenging your wisdom, just wondering why you suggest that? Learning a lot, will check out the channels asap. Thanks to you all.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Honestly I would never take this car to a track or dragstrip. It's just not my thing. I just want more and smoother lower end and torque curve respectively. Compared to my old RS4 (08), the 19GT doesn't have anywhere near as much low end torque (check out the Audi's torque curve). So this would address that quite a bit. And I'm not a speeder on the public roads, but would like to have a bit more walk away and onramp power for highways, or scenarios where I'm trying to get away from a congested area, and then of course those mountain roads (this where handling matters to me).

Coming from Porsche I care a lot about balance and weight, so I don't want to SC this and then find its fallen out of balance.

As for Roush vs Whipple vs etc, I guess I'm not clear why the others would be better. I am never going to take this past 7/10ths of the capability of the upgrade. So is there really a reason to go with something that has not been blessed by Ford? I hear you on the warranties, but what specifically is limited?

Also half shafts/drive shaft, sounds like that is important? Sorry as you can see I'm not very mechanical. I wonder if there's a readme somewhere I can tackle to avoid flooding the forum with a lot of dumb newbie questions.
You've bought the wrong car. You should have looked at a Camaro.....seriously.

The Coyote is not a big-torque/displacement engine, it's more like your Cayman, it's a small, high-revving engine that loves RPMs. It doesn't come alive until about 4K RPM.

If you SC, you're adding quite a bit more weight over the front wheels, on what is already a front-heavy car.

But, it's your car, enjoy it as you wish. I'll stop now!!!

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Oh interesting, so it can be taken from 460 to 500 flat without much but exhaust mods I guess? Also, not challenging your wisdom, just wondering why you suggest that? Learning a lot, will check out the channels asap. Thanks to you all.
Long tube headers, complete exhaust, CAI, tune, and maybe E85, and you're at 500HP easy.

OP
OP
gothampony

gothampony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
You've bought the wrong car. You should have looked at a Camaro.....seriously.

The Coyote is not a big-torque/displacement engine, it's more like your Cayman, it's a small, high-revving engine that loves RPMs. It doesn't come alive until about 4K RPM.

If you SC, you're adding quite a bit more weight over the front wheels, on what is already a front-heavy car.

But, it's your car, enjoy it as you wish. I'll stop now!!!
That's OK appreciate the feedback and I can live with that. I'm already used to it, so I'm not really disappointed just wondered if it was possible to get that and while it seems you can from a SC you are going to add some weight issues? Don't hold back sir appreciate the feedback. I'm quite happy with it, just learning about the possibilities.
Sponsored