w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I'll be honest I have no knowledge of Centri setups. I know how they work and all, but have never been in a car with one, or even seen one run. So I never really gave them a thought as a viable option.
Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
It isn't that black and white. weight, power, gearing all play into it.

its tough enough to get 2 identical cars like that, same hp and all. And even if cars make same power on dyno, one might handicapped by weather/IAT on a different day.
Yes it is, he is saying:
I'm thinking if you have 2 identical built cars one with a whipple and one with a TT both making the same RWHP
and we ceteris paribus everything else, then supercharger jumps first.

I don't understand the idea of overcomplicating what you are reading to post a "smart" answer.... the question was a simple question. OF course there is a million different factors that will affect that. BUT, (big but) we are talking about 2 hypothetical identical cars running against each other the same day, same weather, same star/planetary alignment, etc.

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Exactly. To my understanding SC's run a less exponential power curve in comparison to a TT car. But from the discussion it seems as the SC will always get the jump, but in a hypothetical situation as I was saying in a 1/4 mile, is that initial jump enough to hold off the TT car in the end.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Yes it is, he is saying:

and we ceteris paribus everything else, then supercharger jumps first.

I don't understand the idea of overcomplicating what you are reading to post a "smart" answer.... the question was a simple question. OF course there is a million different factors that will affect that. BUT, (big but) we are talking about 2 hypothetical identical cars running against each other the same day, same weather, same star/planetary alignment, etc.

1. which two identical cars have you tested with the only difference being power adder, making same power to the wheels?

2. If 2 coyotes that weight the same and same gearing making both same power peaking at around say 7200-7300rpm.....how does one pull on the other?

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Is there any reasons Centris don't seem to be as popular?

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Could just be where I live, everyone here is supercharged, TT, or NA. Every show I go to not a single centri to be seen, at least on a mustang.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. which two identical cars have you tested with the only difference being power adder, making same power to the wheels?

2. If 2 coyotes that weight the same and same gearing making both same power peaking at around say 7200-7300rpm.....how does one pull on the other?
1. key word: hypothetical

2. because you are looking at peak horsepower, not how the power is being delivered... turbo lag vs instant torque. etc.

turbo lag is the devil... both cars, both with 700 PEAK whp, both running cruising around 2000 rpm, then floor it... who do you thing will jump first? the one with instant torque/boost? or the one that need to spool the turbos first? why do you think turbo cars have to "brake boosting" before doing a pull? gotta build boost first... and that split of a second between instant power vs turbo lag is why they get that little jump first... even if they make less power, they'll jump first and then you build boost and bye bye... but again, turbo lag is the devil...

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could just be where I live, everyone here is supercharged, TT, or NA. Every show I go to not a single centri to be seen, at least on a mustang.
a centri is a supercharger... If i go F/I on mine, I'll go centri just because i want to keep my +18 IM

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
What are the pros and cons of a centrifugal vs a twin screw?

Sponsored

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
1. key word: hypothetical

2. because you are looking at peak horsepower, not how the power is being delivered... turbo lag vs instant torque. etc.

turbo lag is the devil... both cars, both with 700 PEAK whp, both running cruising around 2000 rpm, then floor it... who do you thing will jump first? the one with instant torque/boost? or the one that need to spool the turbos first? why do you think turbo cars have to "brake boosting" before doing a pull? gotta build boost first... and that split of a second between instant power vs turbo lag is why they get that little jump first... even if they make less power, they'll jump first and then you build boost and bye bye... but again, turbo lag is the devil...
I see the part about the “lag” but That’s kit dependent and turbo size, not all lag. I get that whole jump ahead because one makes 10psi now and the other delays…in some cases. But you didn’t answer my question…..

both making 700whp why does the turbo have the top end advantage?

EP10R80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Which F/I kit is most reliable on a 10r80? I know the transmission will eventually have to be rebuilt.

OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
As far as I know the 10R80 and MT82 can hold substantial power. To my knowledge you should be good until you're pushing over 850whp at least. I'm still curious as to why would one go with a centri over SC. And as for the turbo I might be leaning away... tough choices!

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Blowers all increase performance. They just look different and deliver power differently. Typically centrifugals are a little cheaper and the way they deliver power is soft on the motor and the drivetrain since boost comes with RPM. Because of that they also do relatively well in racing applications since you dont need excessive attention to detail with the suspension and tires. They are also quite simple....just the blower as moving part, blow off valve and IC with chargepipes. It offers low intake temps and air to air is reliable, no worries of dealing with water reservoirs and pumps. Only part that comes out during install is basically the intake.

Some PD blowers require modding/grinding of the timing cover/valley area since thats where it sits where as the centrifugals sit near the engine, not on it.

Cons is some centrifugals seem to have false knock on manuals due to engine movement on shifts and the bracket system. Also theres a potential for blowing out a chargepipe, but its not a common occurrence at low boost levels. Also some people dont want to rev the car up to get power, they prefer part throttle/ low rpm response.

You dont sound very knowledgeable so I would suggest if you're between TT and whipple, go whipple. TT setups are more complex and typically works best when owner is experienced with turbos and handy in the garage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
w3ab1ak91

w3ab1ak91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
My experience is all na applications and turbos. However all my previous turbo cars were already turbo'd like my previous STi. I do alot of my own work im just not experienced with installing a whole system that hasn't been on the car already. But the centri has peaked my interest slightly. I wish I could drive one! Also never had a car where I was looking between different FI systems. My other project is an old school 69 chevy impala, and thats pretty easy lol old school carbed 383. No fancy stuff.
Sponsored