Leaning Towards Hellion over the Whipple

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
aldo's builds aren't the cheapest but known for really good quality stuff. his quote for me was this:

Aldowelds 800x mid mount twin kit turn key package installed $21,500.00

-Precision 6266 turbos
-Air to air intercooler 4.5"
-45mm turbosmart wastegates
-50mm blow off valve
-Braided AN lines and fittings
-Dual pump fuel system
-ID1050x injectors
-E boost 2 boost controller
-Lund racing dyno tuning for 91octane/e85
-Boundary oil pump gears and sprocket
So how do you like it?.
Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
So how do you like it?.
yeah i passed on it. even though i know the work is truly high level (just ask around about "aldo's" or see his YT channel), it was still more $$ than i want to spend. when i build the hellion sleeper, yes it's about $12k (before install). but if you go full return style fuel and if you factored in the kind of quality welding he does and his knowledge with installation included, $21k isnt all that crazy (for eg, compare fathouse builds -- amazing but significantly higher pricing). but aldo's was still a bit too high for me. i do think if someone just wants a faster street car and wants around 800 rwhp, going with a blower (PD or centri) is probably the way to go.

here's his channel...addictive lol

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmwhSd3PY2WwaebkmdvennA/videos

Last edited:

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
Interesting point I noticed and wanted to touch on it, I think Black Dog was the one that said it. I agree that when it comes to all out setups there no touching turbos, honestly IDK if I’d recommend a blower to someone who wanted more that 1000-1050whp, turbos dominate that realm. But “better” isn’t the same for everyone and is heavily dependent on what aspect of the setup you put value on. Reliability? Ease to maintain? Easy to work? Is it an ET goal? Or a WHP goal?
Another thing is the comment on “a couple touches on the controller on whipple is on the rear view”. That seems to be a common trend amongst turbo guys. They want to race, you agree think “ok we’re fairly evenly matched, should be good” and when they don’t like the outcome they start playing with buttons to add 50-100whp. Sorry to say, but that’s for people who like to puppy kick, this person isn’t looking for good races, they want easy wins.
Your first mistake is thinking you are evenly matched with a turbo car. If you had a "KILL TURBO CAR BUTTON" in your car you would not use it?? :yawn:

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
IMO the benefit to turbo with a RWD setup is being able to configure boost by gear to put the power down. Well that and not snapping crankshafts.

I also like with the sleeper kit that it keeps the extra weight low and behind the engine.

Even on my heavy Marauder with the Eaton M112 the tires would light up in first without pedaling it.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Your first mistake is thinking you are evenly matched with a turbo car. If you had a "KILL TURBO CAR BUTTON" in your car you would not use it?? :yawn:
I have ran turbo cars, I do just fine. i havent needed a button yet. But I race cars in my playing field. Turbo’s want to claim turbos FTW when in actuality it’s buttons FTW.

Sponsored

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
I have ran turbo cars, I do just fine. i havent needed a button yet. But I race cars in my playing field. Turbo’s want to claim turbos FTW when in actuality it’s buttons FTW.
You can still beat some. I know some turbo guys without controllers and just running waste gate pressure. :like:

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Check with emission inspection for your state. Hellion may not be legal.
Truth! There are no smog legal turbo kits, but there are many smog legal blower kits, including whipple, Edelbrock, Vortech, etc.

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
Thats another good one from turbo cars….”I’m just on Wastegate” lol
Sounds to me like you have problems with turbo cars. :shock: Get that belt off your crank shaft and come over to winners circle.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Sounds to me like you have problems with turbo cars. :shock: Get that belt off your crank shaft and come over to winners circle.
black dog, how many boost kits have you owned over the years now? You’ve had 2 different brand turbos now on the hellion? And you’ve tuned with Lund, PBD and now wengerd? Only circle you know is the wheels on the bandwagon bro

Sponsored

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
black dog, how many boost kits have you owned over the years now? You’ve had 2 different brand turbos now on the hellion? And you’ve tuned with Lund, PBD and now wengerd? Only circle you know is the wheels on the bandwagon bro
Guessed I pushed your buttons. :cwl: Remember your post about turbo guys and buttons. Turbo guys winning again with buttons.:cwl:

Maglin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
To the OP. It's really about what you want to use the car for 90% of the time. If it's a DD you'll get far more enjoyment out of a S/C. If it's a track car that rarely see's the street then it's a toss up as to what your track goals are.

The reason a S/C at 17psi and a turbo at 14psi are basically putting down the same numbers HP wise is the temp of the air going into the motor. The inter cooler on the turbo car is bringing down air temps a TON and thus moving the same amount of air at a lower pressure level.

Personally I'm going to get the Roush kit as my car is a DD. I just want about 600RWHP and that goal is stupid easy with the Roush. If I wanted 800+WHP I would 100% go with a TT setup. But then I would also build a motor for it and push it to the moon most likely. I already have a turbo fox that is a drag car so I don't need a max effort S550. Just a fun one.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I DD a turbo car and it's a blast. Smash on it stop light to stop light. Occasional freeway pulls. Wastegates sounds awesome. Gets 17+ mpg at about 600whp. I put over 8k miles since March when I installed it. Only issue is I already trashed the stock clutch. I knew I would but I guess I thought I could ride it out a little longer...

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
The reason a S/C at 17psi and a turbo at 14psi are basically putting down the same numbers HP wise is the temp of the air going into the motor. The inter cooler on the turbo car is bringing down air temps a TON and thus moving the same amount of air at a lower pressure level.
I don't fully agree. The turbo setup makes more hp at a lower boost level because it takes a significant amount of horsepower just to spin the supercharger.

Maglin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
The turbo setup makes more hp at a lower boost level because it takes a significant amount of horsepower just to spin the supercharger.
That is also true. Not sure which one is the biggest contributing factor. But I'm sure around 100-150 HP is getting sucked up by some of these larger S/C's with TINY pulleys. Scary to think that your 800WHP S/C might be making closer to 1,050HP at the crank. Can't dyno it because the S/C is sucking up HP. Only way to get decent figures is BSFC and I've never seen that done for low (under 2000HP) power setups.

Thanks for reminding me about that fact.
Sponsored