Sponsored

Is it worth picking up jack stands just for wheel changes?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hmmm, Gotta look into these jacks and jack stands. Always done it like this:

I did start skipping the chain lube if my car had disk brakes. Don't ask why.
Sponsored

wadewolf76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang coupe, 21 Twister Orange GT premium
Worked with a guy in High School that had a jack fail on him and damn near killed him. Not only do I put stands under anything I lift up, but I also keep the jack under it. Of all the things that could happen when working on a vehicle being crushed under one is my #1 fear.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Seems a lot of people don't really get the question. We're talking wheel change here and everybody thinks we're doing a Cha Cha under a car suspended by string. Do you bring jackstands in your trunk in case you get a flat on the side of the road? Yes, a car can drop off a jack. Less likely but still possible it can also drop off an improperly set jackstand but that isn't the end of the world unless you're under it. I'd say the more important thing to do is to be mindful of where you are and what you're doing. Car goes up, wheel comes off, wheel goes on, car goes down. Everything is ready before hand, time and distractions are minimized, risk is minimized. I'd say for a task that simple that the added farting around introduces at least as much risk as you are mitigating with the jackstand.

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
On the other hand, using a jack stand can lead to an increase in risk:

1649618224895.png

ok seriously, on a heavier car I feel safer just using a jack stand as failsafe, since I respect that weight, similar to keeping a sane distance to heavy-weight people in front of you when going up stairs. you do not want to be that buffer.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yep worth it. Even cheap ones. Floor jacks aren't meant to hold weight for a length of time. Your jack may never fail, but if that one time it does you'll be glad you had it. Shocked that some of yous can't take 5secs to place a jack stand for a extra margin of safety.
Lol come on man, if no part of my body is going to be under the vehicle, why would I waste the time? What safety am I missing out on exactly? Trust me, I do a LOT of work on vehicles, and I use jack stands 99.9% of the time. But a simple wheel swap or rotation is not one of those times.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

I use them for rotations, since I cross-rotate, I need the whole car off the ground. For a simple wheel removal, no.

I also slide them under the subframe when the car is on ramps.

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
most tracks i've been to recommend but don't demand jackstands unless you or part of you is going to be under the car. stands might protect the rotors if the jack fails tho.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Going to be putting my summer wheels on I’m the next few days. I have a floor Jack and a pinch weld adapter. I plan on doing one at a time.
Is it worth it to get Jack stands or do I not need them since I’m not going to be under the car?
cheap life insurance

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
But a simple wheel swap
It's always the simple things that severs toes. Do what you want. I jack up the car, slide a jack stand under there. Done. Next. Done. Next. Done. Next. Done.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I place the removed tire in a place to catch the vehicle if the jack fails. Slap on new wheel, pull old one out, lower vehicle. It’s less sensitive to placement.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I've changed tires million times and have not used jackstands for that - but - it's always worth to have jack stands in your garage - whether you use them for tire changing or not.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Going to be putting my summer wheels on I’m the next few days. I have a floor Jack and a pinch weld adapter. I plan on doing one at a time.
Is it worth it to get Jack stands or do I not need them since I’m not going to be under the car?
If you have a jack and are going to be doing any work under your car, you should def have some jack stands in your repertoire. I swapped my wheels out for my summers last week and didn't have stands or my good jack on hand, so I just went one corner up at a time as low as I could to get wheels off/on.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
Hmmm, Gotta look into these jacks and jack stands. Always done it like this:

I did start skipping the chain lube if my car had disk brakes. Don't ask why.
Hey, I bet that thair "Chain Lube" might work great if in dem dare brakes beez squeekin....:crackup:

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I had an aluminum low profile race jack totally fold up on me once while I was lowering the car after working under it WITH JACK STANDS. Removed the stands and while lowering it collapsed, literally bent like a pretzel.

No lesson learned, lesson proved. Wheels were on, no damage. Maybe a litt!e piss leaked out.
Sponsored