Idle goes rough randomly. Stock tune..

GTCS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
I am also having a rough idle. Im at 46k miles, just recently the car is starting to stall when coming to a stop and the car is downshifting. The car stalls when it gets into 3rd gear. Before this the car would idle rough, im not sure if the problem is related or not. I will post a video on the shutting off portion. To me it feels like a throttle body issue or like stated the VCT Solenoids.

Are you tuned by anyone ?
Sponsored

Dinogirlsdad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hello all, I'm having a similar issue:

phasers and phaser solenoids have been replaced already

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Hello all, I'm having a similar issue:

phasers and phaser solenoids have been replaced already
LJ,

When I had my throttle body and mass air sensor cleaned, the problem went away for a bit, but then came back again. I'm still at the point of having the rough idle at a stop light when the car is hot every now and then, but so far, thankfully, it has not stalled or triggered a code. I off set mine by when I feel it coming on, I put the AC on and it raises the idle:) Try it and see if it works.

BlueBayou

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Will the M-6297-M50-A solenoids work for a 2020 gt. It says 13-17

Sponsored

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
I've been having similar idling issues since I put an ESS kit on my car and was testing some lower-idle driveability tunes. Sounds like some solenoids might be in my future.

Locksmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pierre
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium convertible
Re-charging the A/C got rid of the idle stumble/stall and I have no idea how it's related.

My wife has been mentioning that her car has been acting worse lately. Not knowing where to begin I had plans to tinker with it one day. The day never came. We went out to dinner last Saturday and I drove. Holy crap was it bad. I had to feather the throttle at every stop light to keep it from stalling out. No CEL and it drives perfectly otherwise so mentally I'm almost done with this fucking car. Then she tells me her A/C wasn't cold anymore. Now that, I do know what to do. Cool. I hook up the Robinair and recover the freon. It pulls only .5lb. Supposed to have 1.5lb. Put it on a 20 min vacuum with the leak down test and it passed. Re-charge and let it sit there running for a while. A/C cold enough to fog up the windows. Cool. After a while, I started noticing the idle, it was stable again. What? This was Thursday. She drove home, back to work, and home again. I asked her about it and she said yeah, she hasn't had any problem. I got to drive it tonight and it was absolutely perfect.

The only history I have on the A/C is the evaporator core replacement, under warranty, shortly after we bought it. 30k ish miles. 79k on it now. First time I've touched the A/C. Reading the Robinair manual it mentions, and I'm paraphrasing, some A/C systems are so complicated they can cause other problems. Could it really have been this the entire time and it reared it's ugly head the most when the charge got low enough to need attention? I don't know. If someone could explain how these two things are related, I'd appreciate it.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
Update on mine - approaching 19k:
Ever since summer ended, my rough idle issue at a red light on my 2020 California Special has not returned, and I have no answer why.
For those that are new on here, the one work-around/patch I found was when the idle started to drop at a red light, I immediately put the AC on max. This made the idle jump back-up for the extra load. Once the traffic light turned green, I took off normally and shut the AC off.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Re-charging the A/C got rid of the idle stumble/stall and I have no idea how it's related.

My wife has been mentioning that her car has been acting worse lately. Not knowing where to begin I had plans to tinker with it one day. The day never came. We went out to dinner last Saturday and I drove. Holy crap was it bad. I had to feather the throttle at every stop light to keep it from stalling out. No CEL and it drives perfectly otherwise so mentally I'm almost done with this fucking car. Then she tells me her A/C wasn't cold anymore. Now that, I do know what to do. Cool. I hook up the Robinair and recover the freon. It pulls only .5lb. Supposed to have 1.5lb. Put it on a 20 min vacuum with the leak down test and it passed. Re-charge and let it sit there running for a while. A/C cold enough to fog up the windows. Cool. After a while, I started noticing the idle, it was stable again. What? This was Thursday. She drove home, back to work, and home again. I asked her about it and she said yeah, she hasn't had any problem. I got to drive it tonight and it was absolutely perfect.

The only history I have on the A/C is the evaporator core replacement, under warranty, shortly after we bought it. 30k ish miles. 79k on it now. First time I've touched the A/C. Reading the Robinair manual it mentions, and I'm paraphrasing, some A/C systems are so complicated they can cause other problems. Could it really have been this the entire time and it reared it's ugly head the most when the charge got low enough to need attention? I don't know. If someone could explain how these two things are related, I'd appreciate it.
If the refrigerant level gets too low the car should lock out the A/C compressor from cycling. Maybe that wasn't happening for some reason and it was creating too much load?

Locksmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pierre
Vehicle(s)
The compressor was engaged and running with low freon. I didn't even think to check if it was cycling on and off with the stumbling idle since I never put those two together.

Sponsored

Locksmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pierre
Vehicle(s)
Never mind. It stalled out on her again tonight.

neomadeit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neo
Vehicle(s)
10r80 fbo
I'm currently having the same issue i know this is a old thread but where did you buy your VCT Solenoids? I can't seem to find any for 2018+ online might have to stop by the dealership

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
If replacing your VVT solenoids did not fix it, it could also be the ambient temperature being too hot. High hp cars do not like hot temperatures. GM had an issue with the early ATS V cars with rough idle in hot climates.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I'm currently having the same issue i know this is a old thread but where did you buy your VCT Solenoids? I can't seem to find any for 2018+ online might have to stop by the dealership
My work was done by the dealer, this was years ago while the car was stock though.

If replacing your VVT solenoids did not fix it, it could also be the ambient temperature being too hot. High hp cars do not like hot temperatures. GM had an issue with the early ATS V cars with rough idle in hot climates.
Im whippled now and live in florida, havent had this issue for years Im like 99% sure it was the vct solenoids at this point and post #11 is what worked for me for this issue.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
My work was done by the dealer, this was years ago while the car was stock though.

Im whippled now and live in florida, havent had this issue for years Im like 99% sure it was the vct solenoids at this point and post #11 is what worked for me for this issue.
I was responding to @neomadeit! Apologies!
Sponsored