Idle goes rough randomly. Stock tune..

Locksmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pierre
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium convertible
Stalled out again. It has been running absolutely flawless since the VCT replacement. Still is, just randomly stalled out at a stop light one time yesterday morning. There was no stumble, just like turning it off. No CEL and no codes.

I have heard of some newer ones needing software updates. Anyone know if a 2017 might benefit from an update and if can I do it myself with an Autel and a Ford subscription?

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
Stalled out again. It has been running absolutely flawless since the VCT replacement. Still is, just randomly stalled out at a stop light one time yesterday morning. There was no stumble, just like turning it off. No CEL and no codes.

I have heard of some newer ones needing software updates. Anyone know if a 2017 might benefit from an update and if can I do it myself with an Autel and a Ford subscription?
Was the exhaust cam solenoid replaced as well? My rpms fluctuate a lil bit after getting my cylinder head gasket replaced so I’m guessing i have an idling issue as well

Locksmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pierre
Vehicle(s)
Spoke with a tuner and his professional opinion is, given the symptoms, a tune/re-flash would make no difference.

The car continues to run flawlessly and has not stalled again. My best guess is it had to re-learn it's idle through a few drive cycles. Still... just a guess.

Sponsored

Locksmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pierre
Vehicle(s)
It has inevitably gone right back to the random stumble/stall.

What I completely forgot to mention was that I have been sending in oil samples to Blackstone Labs at the beginning, middle, and end of one run of oil. I did this for peace of mind and process of elimination that the oil is not a contributing factor. I had this scary idea because the symptom seemed to go away for a while right after an oil change. I was remembering the '80s 3.8s and 5.0s that I owned, when an oil change made a difference in performance, it was a bad sign. Here's the final report.

blackstone3.jpg

My wife and have been monitoring live data whenever we're riding together. Doesn't happen very often. And, of course, it never acts up. What PIDs do you think I should focus on? Cause I really have no idea where to begin.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
vct solenoids or phasers

Jonny5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special
Mines been 100% since the VCT solenoids. My only codes were actually for the front o2 sensors on both sides, replacing them didnt fix the issue. I too wish the computer would identify this problem and throw a code for it but it never did for me, it was frustrating.
I have a 2017 with longtube. Threw the bank2sensor1 o2 open code and then went off 2 days later and the idles is bouncing from like 500 to 1000at idle. Super frustrating and can't figure out what's going on with since no codes now

GTCS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
After reading this whole forum, I’ve went ahead and purchased the Solonoids I don’t believe it could be the o2 sensors cuz they still show readings and I imagine if a o2 sensor goes out it won’t read at all and I don’t have a check engine light for it or anything at all not even for the throttle tick, can anyone verify that the solinoids do fix this ticking issue. mods (LUND E85R, k&n drop in filter, stock air box,stock manifold, stock throttle body).

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Maybe a bad o2 sensor

Sponsored

Rocketeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A PP
It's most likely your VVT solenoids. I have same exact issue, especially when running sport+ and track modes, car just rumbles randomly like its got comp cams... then goes to normal with minimal load and while driving.

GTCS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
It has inevitably gone right back to the random stumble/stall.

What I completely forgot to mention was that I have been sending in oil samples to Blackstone Labs at the beginning, middle, and end of one run of oil. I did this for peace of mind and process of elimination that the oil is not a contributing factor. I had this scary idea because the symptom seemed to go away for a while right after an oil change. I was remembering the '80s 3.8s and 5.0s that I owned, when an oil change made a difference in performance, it was a bad sign. Here's the final report.

blackstone3.jpg

My wife and have been monitoring live data whenever we're riding together. Doesn't happen very often. And, of course, it never acts up. What PIDs do you think I should focus on? Cause I really have no idea where to begin.
Have you figured out what happened ? Or has it been okay since ?

Locksmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pierre
Vehicle(s)
It's been much better, actually. It used to be routine that, during her commute, exiting the interstate, soon as she came to a stop it would stumble/stall. It was still doing it right after replacing the solenoids but worked itself out over time. It quit stalling all together and if the idle stumbles, it's almost unnoticeable. Only thing I can guess is it had to re-learn over a few drive cycles. The only quirk it has at this point is an occasional long crank time. Maybe a two count vs less than one second.

FrankM5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401a package
I am also having a rough idle. Im at 46k miles, just recently the car is starting to stall when coming to a stop and the car is downshifting. The car stalls when it gets into 3rd gear. Before this the car would idle rough, im not sure if the problem is related or not. I will post a video on the shutting off portion. To me it feels like a throttle body issue or like stated the VCT Solenoids.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I bought some maf sensor cleaner, I will try that as soon as I get it in the mail.

They changed my cam phaser solenoids and cam phasers already, but that did nothing for me. I forgot to mention that because the reason they replaced the phasers was for the bbq tick and a light rev rattle, which the phasers didnt fix either. I dont think the issue started after the phasers but I am not 100% sure so this may be a possibility.

Was your idle constantly stumbling or did it just go rough for like 5 seconds every once in a while. Mine is fine and smooth 99.9% of the time, I have been trying to get it on camera but it never seems to do it while I'm filming.
It started stumbling when I would just be coasting to a stop when the solenoids had to kick in as the RPMs dropped and it would dip just for a second or two. Then it started when I was just sitting idling and it would even die from time to time. Then it was anytime it had to idle it would be ok for a little bit but, would stumble for a few seconds and die. Eventually I was peddling it constantly so it wouldnt die. This was all over a time of about six months that it just got progressively worse.
Sponsored