Sponsored

How Functional is a Functional Rear Wing?

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Roush Supercharger Premium 401A

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Jupiter Sean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS Blk
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Performance has numbers on their new wings and spoilers. Remember that if your adding down force to the rear you'll need to compensate up front or it will get light and floaty. Most splitters, just like the wings & spoilers that come from the factory do absolutely nothing. And installing a splitter that is functional may not be too fun on the street with regards to steep driveways or speed bumps. Kinda only need real aero if your a track guy with a track only car, which is why oem aero is basically a joke on most cars.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt-500-max-rear-downforce-550-pounds/amp/

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Adding a wing just to provide DF is not the right solution.
What you are.looking is balance.
Between front and rear.
Adding a gigantic rear wing will make your car undrivable. Cause.the understeer induced.

Balance has to be made between a front splitter and a rear wing (without considering diffuser and other smaller DF items)
If your splitter generates 200lbs your wing should not generate 600lbs.
However
The beauty of a wing is that u can adjust the angle of attack (AoA)
That being said.
All the wings are functional.
The difference is "when do i feel this functional?"
A "base" low drag ok downforce wing you can consider is the APR250
Is a good entry level u can easily pair with a simple splitter.blade.

I used to run that before passing to AJ HARTMAN FULCRUM 14. (But also a smaller version called apex8)
AJ WINGS are just next level.

Last consideration. Depends what u need the car for.
Is a daily and once a year u hit the track?
I would consider a lower wing profile like the new anderson composite gt500 wing replica.
The taller wing are really a ...cop.caller sometime.

Attached the apr250 and aj wing

KEV_5560~2.jpg

TYP_2120.jpg

Sponsored

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation Duramax
Try the Anderson Composite GT350R carbon fiber spoiler replacement pictured below IMO. I have that with hood louvers and my car is very balanced (I had to take off a front splitter because the car didn’t have enough rear downforce with the louver and splitter combo). Plus it looks awesome. I don’t see the need for a wing if it’s not a track car.

If you want more rear downforce in a stealthy way you can go with Verus Engineering rear diffuser. It’s an engineered diffuser not some cosmetic piece.

My spoiler is coming off this winter for a wing (either AJ or Chicane23) but that is because I obviously need one if I want to put the front splitter back on the car. Plus it will be nice to have the adjustments so I can balance the car which also likely means messing with springs again.

And that’s a whole different issue - adding downforce to cars with stock suspension.

I say just get a functional cool looking spoiler and that’s already enough downforce. The GT350R spoiler has a very aggressive rake. You can easily run a splitter with it (just no louvers and splitter in my experience)

9ADB6F33-0359-4312-897C-06A18DCF6FDD.jpeg

993769C4-B4B4-4E09-A81A-93177C1864D0.jpeg

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Steeda also makes a functional wing. It is a little more low profile than most. If memory serves I think they say it's down force kicks in around 75mph.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP, it looks basically non-functional, like it provides more drag then downforce. And the endplates are tiny, meaning air is rolling off the side of the spoiler instead of going over/under it.

Biggest question, you said you wanted more downforce. What are you looking to do/what are your plans for the car? There is a CAMC thread that had a ton of good information on spoilers/wings.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Steeda also makes a functional wing. It is a little more low profile than most. If memory serves I think they say it's down force kicks in around 75mph.
You mean like the wing the OP is asking about?

Sponsored
OP
OP
WERA49

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Roush Supercharger Premium 401A
My car is a daily driver. However, when I'm on the gas, I'm really on the gas. I plan to do some top speed runs (Texas and Arkansas) and a couple of big track days per year.

You're right about the balance with the front and rear downforce. For now, the suspension is stock.

This information is helping me to make plans for upcoming improvements.

Keep the information coming! Thank you all.

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
My car is a daily driver. However, when I'm on the gas, I'm really on the gas. I plan to do some top speed runs (Texas and Arkansas) and a couple of big track days per year.

You're right about the balance with the front and rear downforce. For now, the suspension is stock.

Wing is literally the last thing you should be thinking of for a stock car unless you're more concerned about looks than actual performance.

And for high speed runs, it'll just slow you down - obviously. So why ?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase

I'd have to agree with the above statements. A wing is not what you need if top speed is what you're after. Maybe a low drag spoiler to rid some of the drag or even a good diffuser. Hell, a flat bottom floor would help you more than a wing for your use case.

I see that you have a supercharger so if you are grip limited, I would think some suspension work and big sticky tires would net you the grip you're after.

There's a reason Viper drag racers remove the giant wing. They make big downforce but they also generate a lot of drag.
Sponsored